Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Any good free games out there..?  (Read 2702 times)

Duelmaster409

• Bay Watcher
  • [DOES_NOT_FIGHT]
    • View Profile
Any good free games out there..?
« on: January 24, 2010, 07:21:29 pm »

Just wondering, has anyone found a good free online or single-player game with anything but hardcore gaming graphics and is FREE?

Sorry for the short and spontaneous post, I'd just like to see what comes up.
Dwarf fortress: Teaching uni level geology to sadistic elf killers for years.

beorn080

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Any good free games out there..?
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2010, 07:23:16 pm »

Battleships forever can get pretty intensive in massive battles.
Ustxu Iceraped the Frigid Crystal of Slaughter was a glacier titan. It was the only one of its kind. A gigantic feathered carp composed of crystal glass. It has five mouths full of treacherous teeth, enormous clear wings, and ferocious blue eyes. Beware its icy breath! Ustxu was associated with oceans, glaciers, boats, and murder.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2010, 07:23:51 pm »

The answer is yes.

xdarkcodex

• Bay Watcher
  • Watch in awe!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2010, 12:54:37 am »

The answer is yes.
I think he was asking for suggestions to games not and yes/no answer lol.
Try mud and blood 2, Based around WW2.
the statement below is true
the statement above is false

SHAD0Wdump

• Bay Watcher
  • Hiding in SPAAACE!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2010, 01:43:13 am »

Battleships forever can get pretty intensive in massive battles.
I fully support this, the game's main attraction is the fact you can create your own ships, the shipbuilder the game comes with is extremely flexible.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2010, 01:49:40 am »

What kind of games are you looking for?

There are a lot of good indie games available, but a lot of them are more artsy/experimental than what you might be trying to find.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2010, 07:59:52 am »

The answer is yes.
I think he was asking for suggestions to games not and yes/no answer lol.

Personally I think he was trying to challenge us and hit our sense of pride to make us scour the internet for great free games.

So he wants Free Multiplayer or Singleplayer games that do not have great graphics.

Why not Cavestory, N, or Splunky?

I used to have a HUGE collection of free games (many which were pretty good) but the website I got it off of went under. Too bad too because it WAS the best site for Freeware. Unfortunately I cannot remember the names of most of them.

Flight of the Amazon Queen (I think that is its name) isn't amazing but frankly if you play it with a sense of humor (and a walkthrough) you can find it hillarious.

Muz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2010, 10:23:22 am »

Depends on your standards. Thousands of good free games. Just check out the whole Other Games forum.
Disclaimer: Any sarcasm in my posts will not be mentioned as that would ruin the purpose. It is assumed that the reader is intelligent enough to tell the difference between what is sarcasm and what is not.

Glacies

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2010, 10:38:32 am »

Dwarf fortress?

Ah, okay. Uhm, Survival crisis Z, Dungeon crawl stone soup, any of the games made by Yahtzee. So try Fullyramblomatic.com and it's selection of game stuff. You might also try abandonware. There is some old stuff out there still worth playing. Master of magic is a pretty good 4x game, and, uh, lemme think, what else...Twilight 2000, if you can figure out the controls. That's abandonware too. Another bit of abandonware I have fun with is somehing like the F117 Stealth bomber flight simulator by Microprose. And that's about it.

carebear

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2010, 02:54:46 pm »

Iji: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=33mxD4FjD3w (2D platformer)
Battle for Wesnoth: http://www.wesnoth.org/(Turn Based Strategy)
And Farf Dwortress.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2010, 02:57:20 pm by carebear »

Blaze

• Bay Watcher
  • The Chaos that Crawls up on you with a Smile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2010, 03:19:51 pm »

Elona (FUN warning)
Stranded II
AVALANCHE
Vega Strike
Epochstar
Transcendence
Notrium
Dink Smallwood
Spelunky and Cave Story were already mentioned.
Iji
Trilby: The Art of Theft.
Triangle Wizard
Gearhead 1 and 2, though Gearhead 1 is purely ASCII
I Wanna Be The Guy (Pure FUN)

Well of Souls is free and multiplayer, but multiplayer is pretty empty at times.

Realm of the Mad God is a flash MMO. There's no registration or anything, just pick a name, class, and start playing.

Space Station II is multiplayer, roleplay is enforced.

There's also loads of good abandonware games like Master of Magic, Darklands, Space Control 2, and I hear Elder Scrolls II: Daggerfall is free now.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2010, 03:28:03 pm by Blaze »

beorn080

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2010, 03:27:29 pm »

We could really used a stickied topic for this sort of thing.
Ustxu Iceraped the Frigid Crystal of Slaughter was a glacier titan. It was the only one of its kind. A gigantic feathered carp composed of crystal glass. It has five mouths full of treacherous teeth, enormous clear wings, and ferocious blue eyes. Beware its icy breath! Ustxu was associated with oceans, glaciers, boats, and murder.

Sir Pseudonymous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2010, 03:50:30 pm »

Vega Strike's cool, but incomplete, buggy, and grindy. Transcendence is good. Stranded II is good, if you can get past the horrible graphics, but it gets old after a while; the ai amounts to "run in a circle, if the player gets close enough run toward him, turning in a giant, slow circle if necessary". Despite those problems, I'd still recommend all of them too.

And daggerfall was released for free. You can find it on the official elder scrolls page, with a pdf telling you how to get it running in dosbox. It's... ok, I guess. Kind of like morrowind only clunkier, buggier, and full of inane shit like language skills.
I'm all for eating the heart of your enemies to gain their courage though.

fenrif

• Bay Watcher
  • Dare to be stupid.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2010, 04:05:25 pm »

IVAN
prospector
doom roguelike
zangband tk
incursion
nethack

And many many more roguelike style games. check out http://www.roguetemple.com/ for more roguelikes.

Also for abandonware check out http://www.abandonia.com/ and http://www.homeoftheunderdogs.net/

Also abandonia's sister site http://www.reloaded.org/ is a good place to go to look for freeware games.

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2010, 04:55:53 pm »

If someone is going to make an all-in-one good free game post... they should add some sort of description to each post... probably own the 2-3rd posts too..  and be able/willing to update it....
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation
Pages: [1] 2