Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Where to see whether the new version is ready (or has a definitive date)?  (Read 2250 times)

Janus

• Bay Watcher
  • huffi muffi guffi
    • View Profile
    • Dwarf Fortress File Depot
Re: Where to see whether the new version is ready (or has a definitive date)?
« Reply #15 on: January 25, 2010, 10:17:11 pm »

I'm sure I'll know when it's done: when bay12games.com lies on it's broken back, dying from the strain of everybody downloading the new version at once.
There were talks by the community to make a .torrent of the new version, this would ease the strain on Toadys servers, which are so going down.
To be really effective Toady would have to create the torrent himself.
Having to download 100KB~ instead of 20 - 30MB would... Well.

TOADY! If you're reading this, please consider it! For your own good! And ours! THINK OF THE SERVERS OH WONT SOMEONE PLEASE THINK OF THE SERVERS!

And similar to what I said when it last came up, while you're free to also make a torrent, you should notice that there are always mirror links posted on the download page. It's not like the only download link for it will be hosted by Toady, the download will be available on several other mirroring servers. You're foreseeing an imminent crisis where there really shouldn't be one.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2010, 10:19:03 pm by Janus »
Tomas asked Dolgan, "What place is this?"
The dwarf puffed on his pipe. "It is a glory hole, laddie. When my people mined this area, we fashioned many such areas."
     - Raymond E. Feist, Magician: Apprentice  (Riftwar Saga)

AtomicPaperclip

• Bay Watcher
  • Who names their kid dagger anyway?
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 25, 2010, 10:30:08 pm »

Don't literally refresh it constantly, there's enough traffic already.
Dear Toady: Keep up the good work man, we appreciate you and the game beyond words.

Danarca

• Bay Watcher
  • [MILL_CHILD:ONLY_IF_GOOD_REASON]
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 26, 2010, 12:06:15 am »

And similar to what I said when it last came up, while you're free to also make a torrent, you should notice that there are always mirror links posted on the download page. It's not like the only download link for it will be hosted by Toady, the download will be available on several other mirroring servers. You're foreseeing an imminent crisis where there really shouldn't be one.
Ah, didn't know about the mirrors :p
That will smooth out the whole process :)

I support this service and/or product. Though, he wouldn't necessarily need to do the torrent himself. Couldn't the community help the server by making their own torrent file and hosting it for a while? I'm sure we could get a couple dozen people willing to be seeds; I know I would.
Well, to find the community-torrent you'd probably have to dig in the forums, which I suspect is going down when the new version hits.
But mirrors will make the whole process easier :)

I know I'll upload my copy as a torrent, and contact Toady to be listed under mirrors, if someone else haven't done it by then.
Clutter god the god of godly gods.
Om Nom nom nom nom
Ah yes the god of stone stockpiles, long randomly generated names, and gods.

Mylar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 27, 2010, 01:17:59 pm »

I'll seed.

The nice thing would be if the guy who hosts "the list" of new features would state early that he will include the torrent info there, so we can all bookmark that doc to find the torrent link there when it hits.

This site is probably going down, but the google doc should be able to handle the strain, and then we all know where to go for the hash.

Mason11987

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 27, 2010, 08:52:02 pm »

I'll seed.

The nice thing would be if the guy who hosts "the list" of new features would state early that he will include the torrent info there, so we can all bookmark that doc to find the torrent link there when it hits.

This site is probably going down, but the google doc should be able to handle the strain, and then we all know where to go for the hash.

Anyone who makes a torrent can put the url right at the top of this page:

http://dwarffortresswiki.net/index.php/DF2010

It has the benefit of being able to be updated by whoever first makes the torrent.

Pages: 1 [2]