Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

I am an out-of-date poll.

I am an unclickable option.
I am also that.

Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27]

Author Topic: Dominions 3: PBEM Game  (Read 50725 times)

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dominions 3: PBEM Game
« Reply #390 on: January 16, 2010, 06:29:28 pm »

(For anyone curious about the above exchange, the following occurred this past turn. Of the marked-up assaults, one was repulsed; circles represent reasonably heavy ritual targets.)

Spoiler: Atlantis attacks (click to show/hide)

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #391 on: January 17, 2010, 02:44:12 am »

For clarification, I should add that all the "contested" gray areas were at this point frozen in blue.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #392 on: January 17, 2010, 12:14:26 pm »

Oooh, what am I gonna do, what am I gonna do?!

There are fishes all over my place, doing me harm and hating my guts.

Should I fight back? Should I at least die trying?

I guess I'll just hide myself in my forts and see what happenes.(who needs initiative anyway)

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #393 on: January 20, 2010, 04:54:40 am »

@slMagnavox
Ouch. Marklin Downs...
That's what I get for becoming too confident. That battle at Stallos made me feel like I can take your other army no sweat, especially after being softened by Mimi for so many turns, I even forgot to lower temperature in the province. Silly me. I must say that with all those enchantements on, your army was a sight to behold.
Oh well, R.I.P. Tjatse.

On the other front... militia fighting militia, nothing much really.

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #394 on: January 20, 2010, 06:23:29 pm »

Oh, well played! I don't think there's a single spell that would have served you better - this last turn alone it probably saved you 8 or so temple-laden territories.  :)

And the arrogant Matron met the fate she deserved for trying to lure out your vampires (and not even managing to flip the domain before they got there, natch) instead of just rampaging through your heartland as she should have. Still, Darkness or no, you're lucky the Rigor Mortis never let Mamor finish his scripting...  Ah, well, live and learn. Or die and learn, as the case may be.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #395 on: January 21, 2010, 04:22:10 am »

Well, you know, you're Atlantis. You must've seen it coming. I can imagine you and your new friend having the same conversation we had that time Kailasa cast Gift of Health.

So, it turns out Rigor Mortis simply causes fatigue to build up? I wasn't sure what it did when I scripted it, but it worked o.k.

Gosh, good that Vanheim is ante portas of Kailasan capitol, somebody distracting those apes is greatly appreciated.(Vanheim is so much better an ally now that he became AI-controlled than he was before...)

edit: oh, I've got this question: I get a message "X had managed to resist a magically alluring song"(a Siren, I'm guessing), and there is a "view battle" button available, but nothing happens when I click on it. Does it mean there was some battle or not?
« Last Edit: January 21, 2010, 04:30:06 am by Il Palazzo »

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #396 on: January 21, 2010, 06:36:44 pm »

Well, I can't say it surprised me, no.

Hehe, Vanheim. Vanheim under new management by default has to be a better ally than it was before, because all it did before was turn its lands into a nightmare for casual invaders. I mean, really, Cheeetar, 60 PD provinces? Plus massive roving bands of glamored troops? Isn't that a little excessive?

The Siren message just means you resisted. Nothing else happened. Resisting doesn't lead to a battle; I've never been on the receiving end so I wouldn't know about the buttons it displayed, but certainly no battle took place.

Cheeetar

• Bay Watcher
  • Spaceghost Perpetrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #397 on: January 21, 2010, 07:31:21 pm »

I am less at ease attacking than I am waiting for my enemies to gradually kill themselves with their own dominions.

Otherwise known as sitting there and hoping they don't attack with any substantial force.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2010, 07:33:39 pm by Cheeetar »
I've played some mafia.

Most of the time when someone is described as politically correct they are simply correct.

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #398 on: January 22, 2010, 06:06:04 pm »

As stated in the other game's thread, I need to drop out after this weekend. If no replacement can be found on short notice (and I personally wouldn't want to jump into a mess like this, even in a competitive position), then that probably means the game will devolve into a deathmatch between the 'heims. Unless slMagnvox wanted to play musical nations, but I doubt switching nations in mid-to-late game seems much more appealing than jumping into the game as a new player would...

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #399 on: January 23, 2010, 05:35:50 am »

Well, truth be told, I'm fine with this game ending.
For some turns now I could see clearly that in the long run I'd lose eventually. Without you going I'd just have to fight a prolonged war of attrition, ultimately leading to my demise.
It'd still be interesting to see if Kailasa could raise from the ashes and emerge as the winning side, or maybe all would be destroyed in the wake of Vannish AI.

All in all, I think I did ok for my first mp, and I'd like to thank you all for playing.

I'll miss Mimi though.

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #400 on: January 23, 2010, 06:47:09 am »

I'm perfectly happy with ending it on this note as well.* Even if I were able to keep playing, the first 5 minutes of a turn were exciting and the other 55 (or 10, during those intervals when I was at war with no one or trapped under ice) were growing to be tedious micromanagement hell.

It was a lot of fun, and I too think I did all right for my first MP game. I certainly could have done better, but since I was Atlantis, I had a certain margin of error afforded by underwater turtling. And yes, thanks to all who played.  :)

[SL: you concur? Shall I perform an administrative coup de grace on the game?]

*Plainly, this is only because I'd want to avoid the inevitable humiliation of Cheeetar's proxy victory.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2010, 06:52:18 am by E. Albright »

Cheeetar

• Bay Watcher
  • Spaceghost Perpetrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #401 on: January 23, 2010, 08:30:06 am »

*Plainly, this is only because I'd want to avoid the inevitable humiliation of Cheeetar's proxy victory.

As I am the only player not to have resigned or been defeated, I would still win.
I've played some mafia.

Most of the time when someone is described as politically correct they are simply correct.

slMagnvox

• Bay Watcher
  • Attend Party
    • View Profile
« Reply #402 on: January 23, 2010, 09:47:47 am »

E. Albright!  Great playing these past couple months!  Give us a heads up when you are back at full potential, as it were, so we can do some more gaming.

I would not mind putting this game to bed.  You guys both played damned good.  And everyone else, except that Cheeetar guy, hah.

Il P, your Neifel was wicked good, pretty much since whatever it was, 40th turn?  You shut down everything Kailasa tried.  Sure Neifelheim is a strong nation, but you seemed to play to those strengths in devastating fashion.

Albright, we had some good early fights, some fun with underwater Yaksha and what happens when scuba Yaksha meet a Kraken.  Also you stalled all my western expansion plans and set me up for the Neifel body slam.

Again, great game.

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #403 on: January 23, 2010, 12:37:57 pm »

In all honesty, Cheeetar, I think you'd have been dead in 20 turns unless you wiped out Kailasa first. I'm not seeing the why of it very well (okay, maybe that you were largely coastal, and I went crazy paranoid about my domain 10 or 15 turns back), but your domain was falling to nothing. You had twice the territory of Kailasa but one-third the domain.

Aw, hell, who am I kidding. We were all doomed. Doomed, I tell ya!

(Final notes: it took me long enough to figure out that I couldn't stand up to the Kailasan advance with my research as it was. Once I started trying to slow it instead of stop it (and started raiding everywhere at once with cheap and dirty armies, natch), I seemed to do all right though. Know your nation, and all that.

Also: my one regret in ending the game now is that I only uncovered my 50% Enchantment bonus (:o) site in the last 6 or 8 turns, and never really got to exploit it. Alas...)

Spoiler: Scores, turn 73 (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Hall of Fame (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: January 23, 2010, 12:45:56 pm by E. Albright »

Belac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #404 on: January 26, 2010, 04:35:24 pm »

Does anyone not already in the other Dominions 3 game want to sub for E. Albright?  He's MA Atlantis, has the upper hand in a war (but not yet decisively), has a strong SC pretender and pretty good research.
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27]