Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]

Author Topic: Dwarf fortress computer (physical computer to run DF)  (Read 20755 times)

Crossroads Inc.

• Bay Watcher
  • Joined in the great Migration of 2009
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf fortress computer (physical computer to run DF)
« Reply #90 on: February 12, 2010, 01:33:46 am »

If anyone wants a TRUE challenge for thier hard drive, try downloading ELDEMANOR

http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=1855

9x9 map with several completed mega fortress and massive amounts of mined out floors!
Ask not what the Dwarfs can do for you...
But ask.... why are they drunk all the time?

TKTom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: February 12, 2010, 04:14:37 pm »

If anyone wants a TRUE challenge for thier hard drive, try downloading ELDEMANOR

9x9 map with several completed mega fortress and massive amounts of mined out floors!

I like this example. High object numbers, high population, magma work and a large local world area.

I get a consistent 15fps on this.

I use:
 Windows Vista 64-bit
 Intel Q6600 Core 2 quad @ 3GHZ
 6Gb of DDR3 Ram (1333 Mhz Dual-channel)
 Radeon 4870 X2 Graphics card (1gb of memory, can't remember the clocks)
 Typical 1Tb Hard Drive

Calenth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: February 12, 2010, 05:26:21 pm »

Here's a save for you -- I just upgraded my computer, but I didn't benchmark DF before I did my upgrade, so I'd be interested to know how this runs on other people's computers. This saved game runs at about 25 to 30 fps on my computer, a Core i5 750 running at 2.67ghz on each core, with 4g ram running Windows Seven. Video card is an ATI radeon 1400 (I think). DF is set to realtime priority. If I engage the multi-story waterfall, it drops to ~20 fps; if I cage all the animals running around, it jumps to ~30-40 fps. That's all for 40d16, though the site was generated in an earlier version.

It's a huge site with lava, running water, a 40-z-level mountain peak, a chasm, etc., and about 120 dwarves.

If someone could show me what this fort looks like in Stonesense, I wouldn't mind that either, never have been able to get it working =(

save is here, zipped: http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=1857.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2010, 05:28:26 pm by Calenth »

TKTom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: February 12, 2010, 05:55:45 pm »

Here's a save for you -- I just upgraded my computer, but I didn't benchmark DF before I did my upgrade, so I'd be interested to know how this runs on other people's computers. This saved game runs at about 25 to 30 fps on my computer, a Core i5 750 running at 2.67ghz on each core, with 4g ram running Windows Seven. Video card is an ATI radeon 1400 (I think). DF is set to realtime priority. If I engage the multi-story waterfall, it drops to ~20 fps; if I cage all the animals running around, it jumps to ~30-40 fps. That's all for 40d16, though the site was generated in an earlier version.

I get 12fps with the waterfall on, 20fps without. Does seem to be about twice the power, with an i5.

Nao

• Bay Watcher
  • (A!)
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: February 12, 2010, 11:47:02 pm »

Just to add to the benchmark.

[edit:] ahh fail on my side i had temperature off, but strangely there was little change in FPS (most recent verstion of DF 40d17)

-Temperature off:
ELDEMANOR ~20 fps (12-30)
Obsidian Spire ~25
-Temperature on
ELDEMANOR ~19 fps (15-25)
Obsidian Spire ~17 fps (15-22)

with good old C2D E7200 OC to 3,5 GHz (3MB L2)
2GB DDR2 dual channel @ 740mhz
GF 7300GT 256mb
old ATA 133 drives
on Win XP SP3 32bit (several other programs running (ie Opera+Firefox)

So from what i see DF is really all about one core Frequency. From my expiriences bigger cache also helps...
« Last Edit: February 12, 2010, 11:59:14 pm by Nao »

TKTom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: February 13, 2010, 07:48:52 am »

with good old C2D E7200 OC to 3,5 GHz (3MB L2)
2GB DDR2 dual channel @ 740mhz
GF 7300GT 256mb
old ATA 133 drives
on Win XP SP3 32bit (several other programs running (ie Opera+Firefox)

So from what i see DF is really all about one core Frequency. From my expiriences bigger cache also helps...

Also, looks like RAM makes very little difference, your fps outperforms mine even though your processor isn't that much better(on one core) and your RAM is significantly worse. As well known, graphics card is negligible.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2010, 07:57:05 am by TKTom »

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: February 13, 2010, 01:02:47 pm »

RAM is likely to be more of a limiting factor only to a certain point, rather than something that would improve speed continuously as you get more of it. If you have enough RAM, you have enough, more or less. Although I'm sure the speed of the RAM might matter.

Graphics card should be negligible, but often isn't. The 40d# series does provide substantial benefits for a lot of people, but probably less for those with ATI cards, since, from what Baughn's told me, their OpenGL support is rather poor to begin with. In this case, that might actually make a difference.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Blargityblarg

• Bay Watcher
  • rolypolyrolypolyrolypoly
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: February 13, 2010, 11:43:42 pm »

The question is: How much RAM is enough? My computer has halfa gig, and I'm not sure whether it's comparable to other peoples', or if it's lowend. What I do have, however, is three-point-something ghz on a single core, so yeah. I'll download Eldermanor once I get home, and see what speed I get.
Blossom of orange
Shit, nothing rhymes with orange
Wait, haikus don't rhyme

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: February 14, 2010, 12:52:32 am »

Hertz doesn't always matter as much as other things, for certain.

512MB is definitely on the low end. However, RAM isn't that expensive. I upgraded from 512MB to 2GB for something like fifty bucks, and that was DDR RAM (which was at the time more expensive than DDR2, presumably due to lack of demand), and was a while ago now.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

TKTom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: February 14, 2010, 09:10:59 am »

Although I'm sure the speed of the RAM might matter.
SURE it MIGHT matter? : )

To be honest, it looks like the speed doesn't make much difference here, my RAM is next generation and appears to earn me bugger all.

Graphics card should be negligible, but often isn't. The 40d# series does provide substantial benefits for a lot of people, but probably less for those with ATI cards, since, from what Baughn's told me, their OpenGL support is rather poor to begin with. In this case, that might actually make a difference.

Yeah, I suppose. My card is powerful enough that the poor OpenGL optimisation doesn't matter. I didn't notice any significant FPS increase with the 40d# versions.

bowdown2q

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: April 06, 2010, 04:19:57 pm »

I just bought a ridiculously high end system; I'll be benching DF in it before I install Office. :D
i7 processor, 2x nVidia GTX 275 SLI video cards, 16gb tri-channel ram, etc.  I am expecting good things.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]