Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Siquo's Cube based persistent worldsandboxgame project  (Read 855 times)

Siquo

• Bay Watcher
  • Procedurally generated
    • View Profile
Siquo's Cube based persistent worldsandboxgame project
« on: January 26, 2010, 02:45:06 pm »

So, Im going to make a game. No, I've nothing to show you yet, I'm still building the engine. This is me ranting about the ideas I want to implement. It will be done somewhere between 2020 or 2030.

tl;dr: Everything.

The long version:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

There's a lot more but my fingers are hurting.

This one thread is mine. MIIIIINE!!! And it will remain a happy, friendly, encouraging place, whether you lot like it or not. 
will rena,eme sique to sique sxds-- siquo if sucessufil
(cant spel siqou a. every speling looks wroing (hate this))

Bricks

• Bay Watcher
  • Because you never need one brick.
    • View Profile
Re: Siquo's Cube based persistent worldsandboxgame project
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2010, 04:09:25 pm »

Sounds very cool, I'd play it and try to build up a merchant empire.  I probably wouldn't play multiplayer just because I prefer the "no chance of griefing" over "slight chance of griefing."  I'd like to see your stats tree; how do you not have your Google docs autosave!?!
EMPATHY - being able to feel other peoples' stuff.

Huesoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Like yeah dude
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2010, 04:41:18 pm »

Sounds good but their should be a single and multiplayer version.
BOTTLED MESSAGE BE AFLOAT

Siquo

• Bay Watcher
  • Procedurally generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2010, 05:12:02 pm »

Yeah, I'm still thinking about that. Single-player sandboxes are harder to keep interesting though, more players make for a more dynamic environment. So I'm going to build it singleplayer first, but keeping the design open for multiplayer.

This one thread is mine. MIIIIINE!!! And it will remain a happy, friendly, encouraging place, whether you lot like it or not. 

eerr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2010, 05:50:15 pm »

Yeah, I'm still thinking about that. Single-player sandboxes are harder to keep interesting though, more players make for a more dynamic environment. So I'm going to build it singleplayer first, but keeping the design open for multiplayer.

Naw, you should do multiplayer first.

I think it's more fun.

Siquo

• Bay Watcher
  • Procedurally generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2010, 06:20:54 pm »

It doesn't really matter, if server and client are on the same machine you've got single player ;)

RedWarrior0

• Bay Watcher
  • she/her
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2010, 06:26:43 pm »

Posting to watch this. I want to see how this progresses. If you do it right (wrong?) It may take longer than DF to complete!

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2010, 06:39:52 pm »

A combat move editor!  I'd love to hear more about this.  I've been trying to work out how one would work (from a non-programming perspective, i.e., what controls you would have and how it would be represented).  I could say the same of objects, but accounting for what they are made of as well seems particularly tricky.
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

Siquo

• Bay Watcher
  • Procedurally generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2010, 07:32:17 am »

Meh, a material has certain properties, such as texture, weight, boiling temperature, sheen, reflectiveness, strength, hardness. An object has other properties, such as where is it held, how does a person move while holding it, what size is it, what is its effect on the outside world. These do not overlap. It could be well possible to make a diamond sword. Or one made of clay. Its usefulness would be dependent on the material, though.

For the move-editor I'm still doubting whether to use start-mid-and-stop points, and between stances the animation is generated, or actually use muscle-movement, which would yield more realistic results but depends on the musculature of the person doing it, making the teaching of moves to someone else harder.

Huesoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Like yeah dude
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2010, 11:38:34 am »

So have you started workingon this? Oh yeah also make sure it has first and third person HUD, like morrowind and oblivion.
BOTTLED MESSAGE BE AFLOAT

Siquo

• Bay Watcher
  • Procedurally generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2010, 12:38:16 pm »

Third and first are in. Third is really useful outside, while very uncomfortable inside (unless, like WoW, you have really high ceilings everywhere).

Also, don't hold your breath, the planning is to have it done somewhere between 2020 and 2030  ;D

Here's where the real progress is.