Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: External constructions  (Read 728 times)

Thanshin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
External constructions
« on: January 26, 2010, 10:30:59 am »

How often do you build external constructions?

I started not building anything at all but, as time passes, I'm starting to put all kinds of crap on the sunny part of the surface.

All surrounded by walls or other means of complete defense, but still constructed outside.

Aqueducts
Catapult towers.
Marksdwarves' training grounds
Windmills
Safe Bunkers for lost woodcutters or fishermen.

It's gone so far that I even start making small channeled squares scattered around my main entrance right from the beginning, so I can later safely dig up on their center and start a moated tower.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
Re: External constructions
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2010, 10:43:47 am »

Most of my fortresses lately include massive above-ground structures.  My current megaproject is an above-ground pyramid, where only tombs and water/power/magma utility systems are underground.  Terribly undwarven of me, I know.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Kaiser Reinhard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2010, 11:03:04 am »

Waterwheels and power transmitters
Sniper towers spread out all across the map, connected by overhead pathways
Alternatively, bunkers connected by underground pathways
Drawbridges to seal off areas
Steel walls as barriers

I don't build aqueducts, water is supplied to my fort through underground pipes.

Kaiser Reinhard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2010, 11:03:41 am »

Accidentally clicked on quote instead of modify

Yuck

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2010, 11:22:17 am »

My barracks is just about always the entrance to my fortress and outside. Makes things easier when i want everybody but soldiers to NOT be there.

Quantum Toast

• Bay Watcher
  • Schrödinger's Breakfast
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2010, 11:40:44 am »

I've always got a walled-off compound outside the main entrance, and I try to keep windmills walled in and safe from enemies too.

Besides that, just the occasional pointless tower.
That would be as deadly to the wielder as to anyone else!  You'd sever your own arm at the first swing!  It's perfect!

CobaltKobold

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼HOOD☼ ☼ROBE☼ ☼DAGGER☼ [TAIL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2010, 11:50:55 am »

Walls, since I don't usually go for the EVERYTHING UNDERGROUND mode.
Once made a butchery (/tanning/leatherworks) compound too, for hunters.
Neither whole, nor broken. Interpreting this post is left as an exercise for the reader.
OCEANCLIFF seeding, high z-var(40d)
Tilesets

Loyal

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:rogueish looks]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2010, 12:14:51 pm »

Barracks and related facilities are built "outside" or close enough to it. Additional levels will be added to form a tower, for archery ranges, weapon/ammo/armor storage, and so on.

I may also build some additional towers in other places outside of the fort, with beds and maybe dining halls, so that my patrolling champions can stay near their assigned posts when they need to take a break. I will definately be doing this more often in the next version, when burrows can ensure that my civilian dwarves aren't running to the opposite end of the map to get some shut-eye in the watchtowers.

wagawaga

• Bay Watcher
  • He is utterly unaware of his own intentions.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2010, 12:25:25 pm »

I usually build the barracks, as seeing my soldiers getting tunned as soon as they get out is quite annoying, and it halves their speed too.

darthbob88

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2010, 01:47:12 pm »

First off, I generally build a fair-sized compound above ground, both as part of the defences, to provide additional space for working and stockpiling, and to provide my masons with something to do with the multiple tons of obsidian we have in our stockpiles.

Military areas are usually outside and always above ground, though my fortress is large enough and self-sufficient enough that I can wait out most sieges, or wait until the invaders actually come under the curtain walls.

Other than that, refuse stockpiles, butchers, tanners and anything else which rots are outside, because I'd rather not have to deal with miasma in my fortress. Likewise, the arena where captured goblins are broken down for parts is set where the miasma won't be a problem. Farm plots are laid out above ground because I happen to like whip wine, rope reed, and emerald dye, thankyouverymuch.

Heliomance

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2010, 01:53:41 pm »

I rarely have anything above ground except the refuse pile, not even a farm plot. Quite often I attempt to have as little impact on the surface as possible. My current fortress, however, is an above-ground megaproject - it's teaching me a lot!

NRN_R_Sumo1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2010, 02:24:22 pm »

I'm strictly above ground constructions, aside from quarrys and basements, sewers and the like. :)
A dwarf is nothing but an alcohol powered beard.

CobaltKobold

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼HOOD☼ ☼ROBE☼ ☼DAGGER☼ [TAIL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2010, 03:14:25 pm »

I don't build my farms outside, strictly speaking. I bash an 8x5/6 hole next to where I dug my belowground farms.
Neither whole, nor broken. Interpreting this post is left as an exercise for the reader.
OCEANCLIFF seeding, high z-var(40d)
Tilesets

Skorpion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2010, 04:08:17 pm »

Extensively. One of my first operations is to throw up a curtain wall arrangement, then an entrance corridor. Later, I punch a hole for underground farming, roof over the courtyard for archers, slap fortifications on, and extend the walls. My last fort had fortifications stretching around a good half of the map, including an archery tower and pumps for filling the lava moat. Then I got carried away and built a gigantic tower and started paving over the sky.
The *large serrated steel disk* strikes the Raven in the head, tearing apart the muscle, shattering the skull, and tearing apart the brain!
A tendon in the skull has been torn!
The Raven has been knocked unconcious!

Elves do it in trees. Humans do it in wooden structures. Dwarves? Dwarves do it underground. With magma.