Dwarf Fortress > DF Dwarf Mode Discussion

External constructions

<< < (2/3) > >>

Quantum Toast:
I've always got a walled-off compound outside the main entrance, and I try to keep windmills walled in and safe from enemies too.

Besides that, just the occasional pointless tower.

CobaltKobold:
Walls, since I don't usually go for the EVERYTHING UNDERGROUND mode.
Once made a butchery (/tanning/leatherworks) compound too, for hunters.

Loyal:
Barracks and related facilities are built "outside" or close enough to it. Additional levels will be added to form a tower, for archery ranges, weapon/ammo/armor storage, and so on.

I may also build some additional towers in other places outside of the fort, with beds and maybe dining halls, so that my patrolling champions can stay near their assigned posts when they need to take a break. I will definately be doing this more often in the next version, when burrows can ensure that my civilian dwarves aren't running to the opposite end of the map to get some shut-eye in the watchtowers.

wagawaga:
I usually build the barracks, as seeing my soldiers getting tunned as soon as they get out is quite annoying, and it halves their speed too.

darthbob88:
First off, I generally build a fair-sized compound above ground, both as part of the defences, to provide additional space for working and stockpiling, and to provide my masons with something to do with the multiple tons of obsidian we have in our stockpiles.

Military areas are usually outside and always above ground, though my fortress is large enough and self-sufficient enough that I can wait out most sieges, or wait until the invaders actually come under the curtain walls.

Other than that, refuse stockpiles, butchers, tanners and anything else which rots are outside, because I'd rather not have to deal with miasma in my fortress. Likewise, the arena where captured goblins are broken down for parts is set where the miasma won't be a problem. Farm plots are laid out above ground because I happen to like whip wine, rope reed, and emerald dye, thankyouverymuch.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version