Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Building the intercontinental dwarfway  (Read 1312 times)

Rollory

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Building the intercontinental dwarfway
« on: November 05, 2007, 08:11:00 am »

I am wondering how practical this is.

1) Start a Fortress game.  Customize the starting skills to build roads, only.  Bring lots of extra material to do so with.  Use the maximum size, so the playable area covers the whole tile.

2) Build a road from one side of the tile to the other.

3) Abandon.

4) Start a new fortress game; same as before.  Start in neighboring tile.  Build road starting at the location opposite where the one in the previous tile left off.  

5) Repeat until road connects location A and location B.

6) Start adventurer game.  

7) Wander blindly in wilderness until road is found.

8) Sing "We're off to see the wizard" while following the road to wherever it is you built it to go.

Alternatively: have starting parties specialized for digging, and build multi-tile tunnels through the mountains, complete with occasional stairways to the surface.

This would enable adventurer mode to actually *find* things.

Ideally of course some of this sort of stuff would get generated by the DF engine itself.

Downside: any place where this has been done, a new fortress cannot be started.  However, you could always reclaim that tile to do further work on it.

Also, it's a hell of a lot of work.  But it would result in actually being able to find one's way in adventurer mode, instead of blindly wandering in the middle of a vast featureless plain.

"For mark! no sooner was I fairly found
   Pledged to the plain, after a pace or two,
   Than, pausing to throw backward a last view
O'er the safe road, 'twas gone; grey plain all round:
Nothing but plain to the horizon's bound.
   I might go on; nought else remained to do."

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
Re: Building the intercontinental dwarfway
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2007, 04:00:00 pm »

The only problems I can see:

a) you can't see the neighbor world tile, and have no continuous landmark. Thus, aligning is difficult across tiles. Dwarven satellites aren't really feasible right now, so no GPS to aid.

b) the edgemost tile of the area you select is inaccessible. Not much of a problem for roads, but tunnels will be impossible.

c) tunnels will be impossible anyway, because you can't settle on mountains.

Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Alfador

• Bay Watcher
  • Dangerous Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2007, 02:17:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Sean Mirrsen:
<STRONG>The only problems I can see:

a) you can't see the neighbor world tile, and have no continuous landmark. Thus, aligning is difficult across tiles. Dwarven satellites aren't really feasible right now, so no GPS to aid.

b) the edgemost tile of the area you select is inaccessible. Not much of a problem for roads, but tunnels will be impossible.

c) tunnels will be impossible anyway, because you can't settle on mountains.</STRONG>

Possible features to enhance this:

a) Like the old world roads, a road/tunnel leading up to the edge of the map will produce visible tiles beyond, indicating that it "connects" to the neighboring world tile. This would happen whether or not it actually connected to a trade depot (since we have the Depot Accessibility feature now to tell us). This would ALSO show tiles leading IN FROM the edge of the map when there is a road on the neighboring tile, so you could easily align continuous roads!!

b) and c) If this continuity check was in place, it wouldn't matter that you can't access the outermost map tiles; it would automatically put up this connection. Of course... it could also be possible to start a small fortress, abandon... and then reclaim a LARGER AREA to lengthen the road!!

This is a fox skull helmet. All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. It menaces with spikes of fox bone and is encircled with bands of fox leather. This item is haunted by the ghost of Alfador Angrorung the fox.

Dae

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2007, 08:14:00 am »

Great idea !
Dwarves ould really enter the legend then !
Humans could even be able to ask dwarves for it, in a later version... That's really interesting!

schm0

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2007, 09:55:00 am »

Sounds kinda tedious to me.  :(

All to sing "Off to see the wizard?"

schm0
-------------
Nuk: lol schm0, u r da funnay
Nuk: i lik u

Rollory

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2007, 10:15:00 am »

No, all to be able to go places in adventurer mode without getting completely freaking lost.

Keilden

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of The Endcat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2007, 02:22:00 am »

Roads and stuff on the world kames adventurer much more fun. Thats why I start at random places and build random things so I can then share my world and let other discover my stuff. To bad I got to abandon my roadside inns and stuff so no one works at the inn.
The Endcat will end you and everything you love.

Plasma

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2007, 12:25:00 pm »

Did you try it yet and find out, or are you just wondering if it's possible?

Klokjammer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2007, 02:44:00 pm »

If you abandon a fortress The map still marks the site as a dwarven fortress even if there's nothing built.  The map would show highways as clusters of omegas witch the game will treat as abandoned towns, and will confuse the player on what is and what is not a dwarven city.  Also I don't think the game allows overlapping new fortresses with old forts (so yeah continuity would be hard unless you count tiles carfully).

An overworld highway system between sites within empire borders would make sense.  Or sending dwarves abroad to build a link to someplace; The player is given the distance, risk factor, est. completion time, material and provision req., and info on who else (other settlements) is helping before and during the task.

Code: [Select]
g  <-  This is a goat
g  <-  This is a goblin mason
g  <-  This is a gremlin covered in white paint

Does everyone understand the difference now?

Align

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2007, 11:04:00 am »

quote:
<STRONG>a) you can't see the neighbor world tile, and have no continuous landmark. Thus, aligning is difficult across tiles. Dwarven satellites aren't really feasible right now, so no GPS to aid.</STRONG>
Well, you can see where the abandoned fort was, so aligning it on the embark screen shouldn't be much of a problem; then you can just make sure that the road is always 7 tiles from the leftmost edge or something.
My stray dogs often chase fire imps back into the magma pipe and then continue fighting while burning and drowning in the lava. Truly their loyalty knows no bounds, but perhaps it should.

frostedfire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 26, 2007, 07:10:00 am »

there's something to think about putting in - some of those immigrant groups repopulating old fortresses, so you can walk into a spot and have the dwarves walk in and start setting up stuff eg beds, etc  :D
the spinning bb round hits jack johnson, scumbag in the lower body!
it is pierced through entirely!
his right kidney has been poked out!
his liver has been mangled!

jack johnson, raider has been shot and killed.

The above (including bbcode) neatly weighs in at 255 characters. Fallout meets DF

I3erent

• Bay Watcher
  • The mounted dwarf has gone bErZeRk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 26, 2007, 02:49:00 pm »

quote:
<STRONG>The only problems I can see:...

c) tunnels will be impossible anyway, because you can't settle on mountains.</STRONG>

Toady mentioned maybe if you get to the summit of a mountain you can then settle it if that goes in (or is in) then you could.

quot;I got really stoned a couple days ago and ended up talking to THIS GUY. anyway... I''m really drunk now. The guy said: There is this application called "Mya" MI-AH that makes animations of people that he paid $2000 for. F- that Jazz ARMOK ROCKS. FIGHT THE MAN, GO TEAM!