Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Entrance designs/defenses for next version  (Read 2286 times)

Zantan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Entrance designs/defenses for next version
« on: January 26, 2010, 04:04:11 pm »

The next version will have several layers of underground caves with useful resources and wandering monsters.  This forces fortresses to choose between:

• having multiple guarded fort entrances (most potential for Fun)
  • having one entrance, but long walks required to get to the caves (efficient defense, inefficient access to underground features)
  • having multiple entrances, but wall off the underground near the edges so no monsters can path from the edge into your fort (practical, but lame)

How is everyone planning to design their forts based on this?

kaypy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Entrance designs/defenses for next version
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2010, 04:56:30 pm »

• having one entrance, but long walks required to get to the caves (efficient defense, inefficient access to underground features)
    I have to say that making your workers leave your fort defenses before the lengthy trek to the underground seems to have at plenty of 'fun' potential, too...

Another possibility is to wall off an 'inside underground' after connecting the 'outside underground' to 'outside aboveground' thus routing all challengers to the 'siegers entrance'

Hondo

• Bay Watcher
      • View Profile
    « Reply #2 on: January 26, 2010, 05:34:44 pm »

Internal openings to the underground, guards and simple defensive architecture only. No traps, walls, locked doors, or killzones. I need to train my doctors, after all.

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
      • View Profile
    « Reply #3 on: January 26, 2010, 07:07:22 pm »

I'll probably rely mostly on my military for defense in the new build. I'll likely have two groups as well. The surface guys who defend the fortress from goblins and elves will have a barracks up in an impressive tower. The only entrance to the fortress from the top will contain both the barracks and the entrance to the fort itself, as well as the trade depot.

Then I will have an underground military squad. I hear there will be invasions from below now, so thats what this second squad would defend against.

Fortress guards, if I can, would be on general search and destroy duty. Apparently you can assign dwarves to burrows, and if they are military dwarves they will aggro anything within that burrow. If I could do this with my military dwarves they would be on search and destroy for their assigned area. This would work great for the surface guards, and for the regular fortress guards I could put their burrow as the entire map, so they would function sort of like a police and backup forward that would attack any hostiles, eventually, and help back up the regular military dwarves.

eerr

• Bay Watcher
      • View Profile
    « Reply #4 on: January 26, 2010, 07:11:30 pm »

Central pit which will someday house the main fort.

Nearby, is the entrance to the regular, non-dangerous fortress.

Therefore workers won't have to walk too far to get into the mines, but the monsters may also pop up conveniently at the entrance.

Someday, when the underground is safe or you run out of space, you can convert the design to cover the open air pit and build high into the sky.

Demonic Gophers

• Bay Watcher
      • View Profile
      • The Tunnels
    « Reply #5 on: January 26, 2010, 07:41:39 pm »

I have widely varied plans, especially for some of my modded civilizations.  There'd one that will generally be moving into camps constructed in the caverns at the first possible opportunity, and depending primarily on soldiers and magma for protection. Another is likely to build a guarded, open pit with stairs or ramps, located in the middle of an above-ground city.

For dwarves, it'll depend on the terrain and my plans for the fortress.
    *Digs tunnel under thread.*
    I also answer to Gophers and DG.
    Quote from: Shades of Gray
    *Says something inspiring and quote worthy.*
    Opinions are great, they're like onions with pi.

Im_Sparks

• Bay Watcher
    • Half man. Half machine. All messiah.
      • View Profile
    « Reply #6 on: January 26, 2010, 07:55:42 pm »

I'll plan on having a wide and winding path down to the caverns.

Wait I'll draw it. Give me a few hours.
    Well treat me like the disease like the rats and the fleas, A-ha-ha! A-ha-ha!
    Well treat me like the sea oh so salty and mean, A-ha-ha! A-ha-ha!
    Let's shake hands if you want but soon both hands are gone, A-ha-ha!
    Cut me down like a tree like the lumber or weeds, well discard who you please like the leaves off a tree. Drag me out of the sea and then teach me to breath. Give me forced health till I wish death on myself. Ah! Ha! Ha!
    March on! March on! March on! March on! MARCH ON!

Zantan

• Bay Watcher
      • View Profile
    « Reply #7 on: January 26, 2010, 07:59:22 pm »

Apparently you can assign dwarves to burrows, and if they are military dwarves they will aggro anything within that burrow.

I hadn't heard that burrows did that, though.  Do you know whether they will attack any enemy as soon as they enter the burrow, or as soon as they enter eyesight?  Either way, the burrow system will be wonderful...so many uses for it.

RedWarrior0

• Bay Watcher
    • she/her
      • View Profile
    « Reply #8 on: January 26, 2010, 08:05:14 pm »

I would use some combination. It would include an entrance to the surface, an entrance to the caverns, and a long tunnel outside the fortress, with an entrance in the middle that is usually shut. When an underground siege appears, close the underground entrance and mass troops on the aboveground gate. When aboveground siegers come, do the opposite. When both show up, I lock both and open the middle one.

Bricks

• Bay Watcher
    • Because you never need one brick.
      • View Profile
    « Reply #9 on: January 26, 2010, 11:18:52 pm »

I'll probably slowly edge forward, clearing out more and more when it's safe.  I'd like to do a minimal-digging game, only going deep into cave walls to find ore and features.
    EMPATHY - being able to feel other peoples' stuff.

Morrigi

• Bay Watcher
      • View Profile
    « Reply #10 on: January 26, 2010, 11:59:21 pm »

Are traps being changed at all? Just wondering..
    Cthulhu 2016! No lives matter! No more years! Awaken that which slumbers in the deep!

Zantan

• Bay Watcher
      • View Profile
    « Reply #11 on: January 27, 2010, 12:04:17 am »

They're certainly due for some rebalancing soon, but I don't think they're changing at all in the next version.

Cespinarve

• Bay Watcher
    • Lege lege lege relege labora et invenies
      • View Profile
    « Reply #12 on: January 27, 2010, 12:27:58 am »

I think I'll have an above ground and bellow ground forth, and ever season or two I'll have them switch burrows.
    Nice one, not sure when I'll be feeling like killing a baby but these things are good to know.
    This is why we can't have nice things... someone will just wind up filling it with corpses.
    Arrakis teaches the attitude of the knife — chopping off what's incomplete and saying: "Now it's complete because it's ended here."

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
    • Doubt Everything
      • View Profile
    « Reply #13 on: January 27, 2010, 01:12:55 am »

A trap rebalance will come during or after siege improvement, as that will have smarter sieger to deal with traps.
    Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
    I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
    http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
    http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

bombcar

• Bay Watcher
      • View Profile
    « Reply #14 on: January 27, 2010, 02:45:01 am »

I'm probably looking at "emergency doors" and other things; the burrow design will naturally lead to areas that can be closed of if necessary.
    Pages: [1] 2 3