Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Entrance designs/defenses for next version  (Read 2289 times)

Mechanoid

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTELLIGENT]
    • View Profile
Re: Entrance designs/defenses for next version
« Reply #15 on: January 27, 2010, 04:30:09 am »

A giant sloped ramp and staircase combo, possibly T or U-shaped, where the fortress entrance is located in the middle of the ramp area.

Side-view of a T shape, where the top of the T is the ramp up/down, and the other is your actual fort entrance:
[SURFACE]
  #\
  ##\
  ###\ .   <- [FORT]
  #######\
  ########\
  #########\
      [UNDERGROUND]

The only problem with that though is the underground gets cut off when you get a seige, since there's only one way in/out of the fort. Though, technically, you'd want a second entrance into the underground that's closed 90% of the time anyways, so that then invaders from the surface would be forced to trek through the (hopefully grue-filled) underdark of the world, since your main easy-surface-access doors are closed and barred.
Quote from: Max White
"Have all the steel you want!", says Toady, "It won't save your ass this time!"

zwei

• Bay Watcher
  • [ECHO][MENDING]
    • View Profile
    • Fate of Heroes
« Reply #16 on: January 27, 2010, 04:47:31 am »

Multiple entrances, definitelly.

I already have nice blueprint for them:

Basically, guardhouse with small barracks, dining hall and archery target. Inluding ammo and food stockpiles, of course. Designed to be manned by two to four dwarves.

Add moat/wall/dog stealth detectors/gemlin&building destroyer traps for complete setup.

My plan is to build them 20 to 30 tiles from edges where possible. mainly, to make sure i can have "invader fun" while keeping miners who will dig veins inside my territory safe (unless guardhouse is overrun).

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 27, 2010, 05:14:41 am »

Apparently you can assign dwarves to burrows, and if they are military dwarves they will aggro anything within that burrow.

I hadn't heard that burrows did that, though.  Do you know whether they will attack any enemy as soon as they enter the burrow, or as soon as they enter eyesight?  Either way, the burrow system will be wonderful...so many uses for it.
In dev_now there's a Toady One's comment on this:
Quote from: Toady One
You can set your squads to defend any number of burrows as an order in their schedules. If there's nothing going on, they'll pick a square somewhere in their designated zone and hang out, eventually moving on to another zone location. There's less movement than with a patrol, but they still get around quite a bit. If a non-ambushing opponent enters any of their defended burrows, they'll head for the trouble. The schedules can be varied by the alert state, so you can change the defense patterns depending on what's going on.

Thus I will have:
1) Aboveground fort (AF)
  • trader, woodworking, clothmaking, farming etc.
2) Underground fort (UF)
  • mining, metalworking, gemcutting etc. + dungeon and nobles
3) A passage between them, patrolled by fortress guards

Then I will have 3 alert states:
1) General
  • 1/2 military at a burrow at gates of AF
  • 1/2 military at a burrow at gates of UF
  • fortress guards at a burrow at gates leading from AF to UF, patrolling down
  • royal guards at a burrow at gates leading from UF to AF, patrolling up
2) Siege
  • all military moves to the aboveground burrow, guards stay as they are
3)Underground attack
  • all military moves underground, fortress guard relocates to the AF gates

Someday, when the underground is safe or you run out of space, you can convert the design to cover the open air pit and build high into the sky.
I can't find the post right now, but Toady One said that it's impossible to defeat the underground life totally. They will arrive from the map edges underground as goblins do aboveground so you will have Fun all the time.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2010, 05:18:31 am by Deon »
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Hondo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 27, 2010, 08:27:52 am »

I'm gonna make a light border patrol that walks the surface edges to get rid of ambushers and elves. They'll live in a cool bunker outpost with its own small hospital and armory and farm. When a siege comes I'll hole them up inside and they can live off their enormous booze vault until the regular army makes it safe again.

Kidiri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 27, 2010, 11:29:03 am »

Deon, what if there's a simultaneous aboveground and subterranean threat?
Veni, Vidi, Pompeii.
Soylent Green is kittens!
Sometimes, when my Dorfs are exceptionally stupid again, I wonder what exactly the [INTELLIGENT]-tag does.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 27, 2010, 12:54:14 pm »

Code: [Select]
____......
####\___>_
#___/###X#
#___O|##X#
##|##__ X#
##___O_\<_
Translation: anything coming off a subterranean map edge has to come above ground to path into the single main entrance.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Maggarg - Eater of chicke

• Bay Watcher
  • His Maleficent Magnificence of Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 27, 2010, 01:15:59 pm »

Lava moats.
We all know that if a problem presents itself, it can be solved by copious amounts of magma.
...I keep searching for my family's raw files, for modding them.

Funk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 27, 2010, 01:38:04 pm »

as we get burrows it plan to build a net work of tunnels linked to a main base.
i plan to fill it with spike traps
Agree, plus that's about the LAST thing *I* want to see from this kind of game - author spending valuable development time on useless graphics.

Unofficial slogan of Bay 12 Games.  

Death to the false emperor a warhammer40k SG

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 27, 2010, 01:50:05 pm »

Then it's a time for Fun! :)
Seriously, it's just a quick plan, for sure new drill options and type of the map will add much more adjustments. There's no said limit to 3 alert states in the next version :P.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Calenth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 27, 2010, 02:14:55 pm »

My general plan is to build my fort with both an above-ground and an underground "entrance," then dig from there. Doing a combined entrance means that an attack from either above or below will cut you off -- separate entrances means that you'd only be blocked off if sieged from above and below simultaneously.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 27, 2010, 02:41:58 pm »

I try to do my forts pretty organically, working as much of the natural terrain into it as possible. Surface entrances are usually built into a low cliff face or consists of a guarded bastion over a ramp down into the upper levels, which is usually surrounded by another layer of surface defenses (walls and natural cliffs which have been smoothed off to prevent egress until goblins learn how to rappel).

So for the Underworld entrances, I'll probably look for a suitable natural cavern and expand it a bit into a fortified bastion with a permanent guard presence. Although I have to say, I'm tempted to build my entrance down into a really big cavern with a long ladder (stair-stack) in the middle, with isolated archer posts along the walls of the cavern. That way if a big gallumphing Mome Wrath or what have you tries to scale my ladder up into the fort, my archer sentries can pepper it with bolts all the way up.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 27, 2010, 02:50:17 pm »

This is why I'm planning two different military squads. Surface guys who keep the surface covered with goblin pieces, and then an underground military to fend off any threats from below.

Calenth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 27, 2010, 03:09:04 pm »

I try to do my forts pretty organically, working as much of the natural terrain into it as possible. Surface entrances are usually built into a low cliff face or consists of a guarded bastion over a ramp down into the upper levels, which is usually surrounded by another layer of surface defenses (walls and natural cliffs which have been smoothed off to prevent egress until goblins learn how to rappel).

So for the Underworld entrances, I'll probably look for a suitable natural cavern and expand it a bit into a fortified bastion with a permanent guard presence. Although I have to say, I'm tempted to build my entrance down into a really big cavern with a long ladder (stair-stack) in the middle, with isolated archer posts along the walls of the cavern. That way if a big gallumphing Mome Wrath or what have you tries to scale my ladder up into the fort, my archer sentries can pepper it with bolts all the way up.

yeah, one thing that bothers me about the new underground (though i admit it's realistic) is that it'll be difficult to "place" my fort's underground entrance "correctly" so as to utilize the underground features to best advantage.

What I expect I'll do is drive an exploratory stair straight down 15-odd levels right off, just to see what I discover.

de5me7

• Bay Watcher
  • urban spaceman
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 27, 2010, 03:40:02 pm »

a sensible option me thinks would be to have a main entrance that forks, one way towards underground and mines, other towards habitable fort and workshops. However i recon ill go for multiple entrances cos it'l be more interesting
I haven't been able to get any vomit this release. Not any I can pick up, at any rate.
Swans, too. Swans are complete bastards.

Goran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 27, 2010, 04:00:05 pm »

Narrow bridges over ravines.... fall, splat, fun...
Pages: 1 [2] 3