Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: The King Comes! All hail to the King, baby!  (Read 4037 times)

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
Re: The King Comes! All hail to the King Baby!
« Reply #15 on: January 27, 2010, 10:53:58 am »

Is it bad that when I saw the thread title I thought it meant the King was an actual baby?

I did too.  I'm kind of disappointed with this thread now.
Shoes...

Cockyy

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McDwarf cancels task: Interrupted by Vomit
    • View Profile
    • You're mother.
« Reply #16 on: January 27, 2010, 12:43:22 pm »

The best thing about getting a king f'reals is that you can choose to 'abandon' the fortress, and instead of everyone dying off the fort will keep running.

What whaaaaaaaaaat.

I did not know this.
There was a signature here. Now it's gone.

;__;

melkorp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 27, 2010, 12:59:18 pm »

Same with my oldest fort: no HFS, but the king is coming...just as soon as i build $4000 worth of new roads...I hate building roads. 

Abandon with King and fort keeps running?  Really?
He he he.  Yeah, it almost looks done...  alas...  those who are in your teens, hold on until your twenties...  those in your twenties, your thirties...  others, cling to life as you are able...It should be pretty fun though.

Puzzlemaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 27, 2010, 01:48:49 pm »

I don't think it works like that to be honest... abandoning a fort abandons a fort...
The mark of the immature man is that he wants to die nobly for a cause, while the mark of the mature man is that he wants to live humbly for one.

DennyTom

• Bay Watcher
  • !!Urist!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 27, 2010, 04:35:09 pm »

A baby wearing a burning steel crown, white and green spikes, a platinum band around it covered in circles..
Oh and peridot, a big dirty green gem..

Man, I might need to start making 3d models of DF artifacts and using them for other games loot.

Sorry for offtopic but ... my friend made awesome costume last year. He went as ecological catastrophe (or how is it spelled). Part of the costume was smoking chimney.
It is so much easier to measure life in experience points...

AtomicPaperclip

• Bay Watcher
  • Who names their kid dagger anyway?
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 27, 2010, 05:04:26 pm »

Is it bad that when I saw the thread title I thought it meant the King was an actual baby?

Ohhhhh

It's not a baby. I thought it was until I read that post.
Dear Toady: Keep up the good work man, we appreciate you and the game beyond words.

expwnent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 27, 2010, 09:08:05 pm »

I did too.  I'm kind of disappointed with this thread now.

Likewise. Punctuation is important, kids.

Ubiq

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 27, 2010, 09:40:20 pm »

Same with my oldest fort: no HFS, but the king is coming...just as soon as i build $4000 worth of new roads...I hate building roads. 

Abandon with King and fort keeps running?  Really?

It doesn't work with that; the King heads for the hills along with everybody else when you abandon and the fort appears on the map as a dead city. Depending on the dates from foundation to abandonment, you can check the Historical Map under Legends mode and see the fort appear one decade and then disappear the next.

And add one more who thought that the King was an infant and was wondering how that would work. From what I've seen, if a King dies when all of his offspring are still children, then they'll simply pick a new King rather than have a child rule them. Of course, I've also had dwarven civs where the former King had several adult children, but the next ruler was from a new line anyway. I guess they all turned down the job to remain Legendary Farmers or Soap Makers or whatever.

Crossroads Inc.

• Bay Watcher
  • Joined in the great Migration of 2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 28, 2010, 07:36:16 pm »

Update!!! A dwarf Caravan just arrived and is heading towards the Castle, as soon as they leave they will have the offerings for the King to come!
Update UPDATE!

"A VILE FOCE OF DARKNESS HAS AIVED
Ask not what the Dwarfs can do for you...
But ask.... why are they drunk all the time?

slink

• Bay Watcher
  • Crazy Cat Dwarf
    • View Profile
    • Slink's Burrow Online
Re: The King Comes! All hail to the King, baby!
« Reply #24 on: January 28, 2010, 07:47:57 pm »

I checked once on the living adult children of a king who had died, who had been passed over for a new line.  It turned out that they had all been snatched by goblins and had embraced the dark side.   :o
There is only one cat, and all cats are that cat.
Almost losing is sometimes fun.

Ubiq

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 28, 2010, 10:40:46 pm »

Update!!! A dwarf Caravan just arrived and is heading towards the Castle, as soon as they leave they will have the offerings for the King to come!
Update UPDATE!

Well, so much for that caravan.

What're you planning on sending the King to get him to show up?

I usually send some sort of Roast or other prepared food if only because it amuses me that good ole fashioned dwarven cookin' is enough to lure him to my fort.

Magil

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 29, 2010, 02:14:14 am »

Update UPDATE!

Well, so much for that caravan.

What're you planning on sending the King to get him to show up?

I usually send some sort of Roast or other prepared food if only because it amuses me that good ole fashioned dwarven cookin' is enough to lure him to my fort.

I once sent the king a roast to persuade him to come.

Only, it was a dragon meat roast. I threw in a masterwork dragon bone helmet for kicks.

I also like to periodically offer him masterwork goblin skull totems for fun. To let him know that the ground around my fortress is frequently stained by the blood of our enemies.
Quote from: Mystic Mongol
Turns out most of the nobles had the same room. Moreover, this same room was apparently bedroom, office, and dining room. I don't know what they thought was in this room... I do know the doors were all locked, so none of them could get IN.

Also, apparently there was a fire inside, and had been for months. I feel I should investigate this at some point.

Ubiq

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 29, 2010, 02:36:45 am »

Five thousand is pretty easy to hit even without any special ingredients like dragon meat or even much in the way of quality levels. As far as I'm concerned, if bundles of 125 dwarven syrup roasts with minced quarry leaves for seasoning are good enough for my founding seven, then they're good enough for the King.

In my next fort, I might send him a hundred or so large green glass gems just so I don't have them lying around anymore.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2010, 02:40:11 am by Ubiq »

Sizik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 29, 2010, 01:35:22 pm »

It seems you are using 3Dwarf. Consider using Visual Fortress instead.
Skyscrapes, the Tower-Fortress, finally complete!
Skyscrapes 2, repelling the zombie horde!

Crossroads Inc.

• Bay Watcher
  • Joined in the great Migration of 2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 11, 2010, 10:17:57 pm »

UPDATE!!!

Well the King has ARRIVED!!!
And the king, is a.... Queen....

Yup, when the two arrived, I found them labeled as:
"Queen" and "Queens Consort"

Apparently the ruler of my lands, is a an Amazonian Female Dwarf, Adept marksmen, perfectly agile.

Also, for those wanting to play through her arrival, I uploaded Eldermanor to the archives:
http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=1855
Ask not what the Dwarfs can do for you...
But ask.... why are they drunk all the time?
Pages: 1 [2] 3