Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Sources of fun in adventure mode  (Read 2673 times)

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
Re: Sources of fun in adventure mode
« Reply #15 on: January 27, 2010, 05:19:35 pm »

lean new combat powers:
dwarf fu,lean to kill with bear hands, true masters can punch clean in to the heart of a elf in one blow.
Fixed that for you.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

They Got Leader

• Bay Watcher
  • Current Fortress:
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 27, 2010, 10:09:03 pm »

You know what'd be awesome for adventure mode? If it were an MMO. Yeah yeah, I don't really care about what it takes and all that jazz, but imagine if it were possible. Personally I think it'd be really cool.
Quote from: Urist McDwarfFortress
You do not understand the ways of Toady One. He is not a business, he's just a guy trying to make a fun game. He's invited people to come along and experience the journey with him (and help him test it out as he goes along). At the end of the day, I don't think his main goal is to sell Dwarf Fortress, its just to create the best game possible.

Argonnek

• Bay Watcher
  • Surging Forward
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 28, 2010, 12:12:38 am »

You mean having dozens of players going around a world spending most of their time either teaming up and mass-genociding, well, everything, or going against each other in epic battles on top of melting glaciers, ice flows, mountains, etc... or maybe trying to outdwarf each other by being the first to swim across the world using rivers... that would be pretty awesome.

silhouette

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 28, 2010, 02:42:55 am »

the epic battles would be epic but they would be reduced to throwing arrows and bolts at each other.
or the game of "who can equip the most shields fastest".
# PowerGoal49, SCREAM BALL, (Future): Trolls take the captives and see if they can throw them all the way over the chasm to each other.
---
SCREW EVERYTHING ELSE! I WANT THIS!

ungulateman

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: haunting moos]
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 28, 2010, 03:52:02 am »

Random ambushes are more dangerous than you think - my adventurers hurl themselves into murky ponds on a regular basis fighting wolves / beak dogs / skeletal chaos spawn.
That's the great thing about this forum. We can derail any discussion into any other topic.
It's not an embark so much as seven dwarves having a simultaneous strange mood and going off to build an artifact fortress that menaces with spikes of awesome and hanging rings of death.

Halmie

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 28, 2010, 08:40:37 am »

You know what'd be awesome for adventure mode? If it were an MMO. Yeah yeah, I don't really care about what it takes and all that jazz, but imagine if it were possible. Personally I think it'd be really cool.
The world would disapear becuase someone decided to mine out every. last. square. That is when adventurer skills come in. Not to mention all NPCs would be slaughtered while powerleveling. Elves would disapear within the first few days(minutes)(hated) and humans(easy) would follow in a week or so. Goblins would last a bit longer becuase of goblin towers being annoying to navigate and Dwarves woud stand a slight chance becuase of their coolness and impossible to navigate tunnels.

DF adventurer on LAN would be better. Mass elf genocide now in co-op!
Meh.

They Got Leader

• Bay Watcher
  • Current Fortress:
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 28, 2010, 02:05:25 pm »

It would be like a private server. You DL a genned world that is as large as they come, host a server, then get all your friends in on the mass elf-genocide action. It would work like current Freelancer servers (if you know what I'm talking about). All servers would be hosted by individual players, and everyday that player could be like "Well, there are no [insert extinct creature here] left, time to reset the world!" and then they would either reload the world or they could bring in a new world.
     Of course, you would have to DL all the necessary extras for each person's world, so that if one person has super-elves, you'd have to download their specific mod so you could play their server.
    The shield thing would be a major issue. There would be a lot of bug edits that would have to be done. I think if it were pulled off, it would be a lot of fun.
Quote from: Urist McDwarfFortress
You do not understand the ways of Toady One. He is not a business, he's just a guy trying to make a fun game. He's invited people to come along and experience the journey with him (and help him test it out as he goes along). At the end of the day, I don't think his main goal is to sell Dwarf Fortress, its just to create the best game possible.

Funk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 28, 2010, 10:10:20 pm »

a hot seat mode is the easyist way i think to get some type of Mutiplayer.
as it will just need to change who the payer controls after thay take a move.

Agree, plus that's about the LAST thing *I* want to see from this kind of game - author spending valuable development time on useless graphics.

Unofficial slogan of Bay 12 Games.  

Death to the false emperor a warhammer40k SG

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 29, 2010, 11:08:17 am »

And a turn of movement takes 5 minutes to be sent without OOS :P.

P.S. There's DF-like game which can be played in MP on servers, and it's a tribute (don't want to say "rip off" because the author coded it from scratch and only used similar skills and races) and it's usually about killing each other when you're bored, especially if you play as GCS race :P.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2010, 11:09:58 am by Deon »
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

A Dwarven Smokeologist

• Bay Watcher
  • Shortcut to Mushrooms
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 31, 2010, 03:13:42 am »

Lever + Support + Collapse = Adventure Mode HFS

HFS Spoiler
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

« Last Edit: January 31, 2010, 03:26:41 am by A Dwarven Smokeologist »

monkeyfetus

• Bay Watcher
  • [prefstring:terrible puns]
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 01, 2010, 02:29:31 am »

"The sensor flies off in a blood arc"
You're playing a robot?
Why does my adventurer keep crying?
Greiger's is actually correct...  sadly enough.  The emotional circumstance processor is still turned on, with a randomly rolled up personality, but they can't express themselves or take control...  they can only cry.

A Dwarven Smokeologist

• Bay Watcher
  • Shortcut to Mushrooms
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 01, 2010, 03:02:57 am »

Negative, might have been a robot in the cavern that got crushed by the ceiling. That version I was playing is a mix of lots of stuff so no telling really.

Saronsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 02, 2010, 04:20:05 pm »

It's actually hilarious when you fight a dragon that's passing out when one of his claws have been cut off. It's a deadly game of playing a level 12 skilled swordsman with 13 shield, slashing a dragon, running when it wakes up, dodging or blocking the fire when it's no longer stunned, and then waiting for it to pass out again.

The first dragon I did that to had its left eye cut out, its brain all mangled (still alive), had both front claws cut off, it was missing various organs, chopped its tail off (it went flying, never found it), pierced its heart, and then cut its head off the next turn (that went flying too)

I then set it on fire, and used its bones to beat up an Ettin (throwing), cut off the Ettins left head, and proceeded to beat said ettin to death via throwing and melee with his own head.
Wiki is wrong, the Demon has no body part with the [FLIER] tag. He is borne aloft by the winds of his furious rage.

kwon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 03, 2010, 11:33:13 am »

It's awesome if you throw a dire wolf up to 10 tiles with your Legendary+30 wrestler, breake the next one's brain 3 times in a row, then blind him 4 times while another one is trying to chew on you but you smash him with your shield 5 tiles away where he lies with a ripped out throat, vomiting and bleeding to death  :D
Pages: 1 [2]