Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Snatcher: A Threetoe Story  (Read 35149 times)

Pita

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Snatcher: A Threetoe Story
« Reply #15 on: January 29, 2010, 11:53:04 pm »

Although I suppose it's only my imagination confusing personalities and looks, and projecting the first onto the latter, I now envision goblins as being potentially much better-looking than I once had. And that makes me happy.

qbert911

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 30, 2010, 12:06:49 am »

I really, really, really liked the story. The writing may not be God-Tier but the world and the emotions it evoked made this a very enjoyable and only slightly weepy read.  :D

The analysis is like the creamy icing on a tasty cake. The guided tour of how (portions of) this story could one day be procedurally generated is... MY GOD... ITS FULL OF STARS  :o

Bacu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 30, 2010, 01:31:15 am »

That was a nice read. Every story makes me anticipate a version of DF that can generate these storylines even more.

CobaltKobold

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼HOOD☼ ☼ROBE☼ ☼DAGGER☼ [TAIL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 30, 2010, 10:09:10 am »

I loved it. I have one overwhelming comment to make about this story that I think most would agree with:

This has multiplied my respect for DF's goblins immeasurably.
[snip]

Thank you so much for this story.

Agree with all.
Neither whole, nor broken. Interpreting this post is left as an exercise for the reader.
OCEANCLIFF seeding, high z-var(40d)
Tilesets

Dakk

• Bay Watcher
  • BLARAGLGLGL!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 30, 2010, 12:50:15 pm »

Ohhh we finally get some insight on goblin society. So they aren't aways happy to be ruled by an ancient fire breathing clown, and now we know a bit more about the whole snatching business.

A very nice read, keep it comming.
Code: [Select]
    ︠     ︡
 ノ          ﺍ
ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)  ┻━┻

Table flipping, singed style.

insectcalm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 30, 2010, 01:04:45 pm »

Great story, Threetoe. I like the interplay between the two cultures and hope that translates to DF.

Grocer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 30, 2010, 08:37:16 pm »

Although I suppose it's only my imagination confusing personalities and looks, and projecting the first onto the latter, I now envision goblins as being potentially much better-looking than I once had. And that makes me happy.

Perhaps elven princesses are simply far uglier than you had imagined.  And so very slutty. 
Legendary Dead Horse Beater

Durin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 30, 2010, 09:03:18 pm »

Perhaps elven princesses are simply far uglier than you had imagined.  And so very slutty. 

ROFL!

Aaaaah me.  Yeah I was not fond of the interbreeding thing.  It's rather a mystery how races able to interbreed and also in close proximity to one another would retain such extremes of diversity.  Now, maybe if there were an aspect of the Spirit referenced that made cross breeding something magical, well... that makes it much better.

I also will add my vote to the chorus calling this one of the better Three Toe stories I have read so far.  I haven't read as many as I suppose most here have, but I have been through 5 or 6 now and this was by far the most memorable.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #23 on: January 31, 2010, 02:13:00 am »

You know, I kinda figured that there'd be a sort of "Social Darwinism" aspect to goblins- they seem to take murder in stride, and yet they haven't all killed each other, so there must be SOME way for their culture to work. It's also interesting to see a justification for all the baby snatching.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

RantingRodent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 31, 2010, 07:57:17 am »

Adding a sense of self-awareness to the goblins does cast them in a very different light. I much prefer them this way. A relatively mundane race that is completely evil is rather far-fetched. This feels a lot more real than the one-dimensional troublemaking evildoers typical of Goblins in fantasy.

In the case of races which secure leaders from outside their culture in some way or another, will the personality and culture of that leader be gradually reflected in the tribe(s) that they lead? Would Durangel's goblins, on an individual level, be more nature-friendly to some extent? Would the traces of humanity we see in this story completely disappear in the goblins led by a demon?
Graphical Overhaul 0.31 DFFD | Bundle |  Thread (beta3)
Raw Patcher DFFD  | Thread (1.0)
Graphical Overhaul 40d DFFD | Bundle
ASCII Tileset 40d DFFD  | Thread (2.0)

atomfullerene

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 31, 2010, 04:35:52 pm »

"the forest had spoken" is proper English, it implies a greater sense of finality than "the forest spoke".  It's...past perfect tense, or something like that.  It's been a long time since I took Latin. 

Also the idea of half elf, half goblin reminds me of playing Munchkin. 

The Architect

• Bay Watcher
  • Breeding supercows. What I've been doing on DF.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 31, 2010, 04:38:58 pm »

Past participle in this case. It is indeed correct english, but its proper usage depends on circumstance (of course).
Dwarf Fortress: where blunders never cease.
The sigs topic:
Oh man, this is truly sigworthy...
Oh man. This is truly sig-worthy.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 31, 2010, 04:55:29 pm »

Past participle in this case. It is indeed correct english, but its proper usage depends on circumstance (of course).

The tense isn't "past participle."  That's not a tense, at least not for a verb.  The past participle is combined with a helping verb like "has" to form a full verb with an actual tense -- in this case, the past perfect tense, a.k.a. the pluperfect.

Anyway, yeah, "had spoken" was correct and "The forest spoke" wouldn't have made any sense, but Threetoe knows that and was being nice by letting the in-correction slide.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2010, 05:13:30 pm by Footkerchief »

FluffyToast J

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 31, 2010, 06:08:01 pm »

And now for something completely different:

Quote from: Toady One
Be taken away by Snatcher

Oh, you. I see what you did there.

The Architect

• Bay Watcher
  • Breeding supercows. What I've been doing on DF.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 31, 2010, 09:03:25 pm »

I didn't say it was a tense. I said "had" is the past participle. It is. Other than derailing this for a grammar feud...

Again, good story. I attribute the minor grammar errors (which didn't include this) to typo's.
Dwarf Fortress: where blunders never cease.
The sigs topic:
Oh man, this is truly sigworthy...
Oh man. This is truly sig-worthy.
Pages: 1 [2] 3