Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Snatcher: A Threetoe Story  (Read 35148 times)

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
Re: Snatcher: A Threetoe Story
« Reply #30 on: January 31, 2010, 09:29:55 pm »

I didn't say it was a tense.

What were you responding to, if not atomfullerene's "It's...past perfect tense, or something like that"?

I said "had" is the past participle. It is.

No, in this context of the phrase "the forest had spoken," "had" is a helping verb.  The past participle in this example is "spoken."  Here's a page that breaks it down nicely.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2010, 09:32:15 pm by Footkerchief »

The Architect

• Bay Watcher
  • Breeding supercows. What I've been doing on DF.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 31, 2010, 10:10:38 pm »

Lol. I guess my memory is pretty bad. Thanks for the info, Footkerchief.
Dwarf Fortress: where blunders never cease.
The sigs topic:
Oh man, this is truly sigworthy...
Oh man. This is truly sig-worthy.

SirPenguin

• Bay Watcher
  • NEVER A DULL MOMENT IN MID-WORLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 31, 2010, 10:30:59 pm »

Great story

ThreeToe

• The Natural
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #33 on: January 31, 2010, 11:10:15 pm »

In the case of races which secure leaders from outside their culture in some way or another, will the personality and culture of that leader be gradually reflected in the tribe(s) that they lead? Would Durangel's goblins, on an individual level, be more nature-friendly to some extent? Would the traces of humanity we see in this story completely disappear in the goblins led by a demon?

Right now, goblin civilization would stay the same.  In the story the new leader is changed first in her trials to become a warrior, etc.  What you are talking about is much more interesting.  For instance, an evil leader could come to power in a human civilization and make their society worse.  Struggles between the leader and their subjects make good stories, and they have to go in the game.
Show your true champion nature:  support Bay 12 games!

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 01, 2010, 08:58:38 pm »

It's kind of sad how Elven cannibalism seems to be racial and tied to their genetics, rather than merely being a product of their traditions.

This sets up the story of some elf outcast who falls for a human girl named Bella and defends her from other elves who want to eat her, but every time he kills while near her he gets the urge to feed...
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

Durin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 02, 2010, 12:57:52 am »

It's kind of sad how Elven cannibalism seems to be racial and tied to their genetics, rather than merely being a product of their traditions.

This sets up the story of some elf outcast who falls for a human girl named Bella and defends her from other elves who want to eat her, but every time he kills while near her he gets the urge to feed...

Elves are cannibalistic?

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
  • current project : searching...
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 02, 2010, 09:40:56 am »

I wonder since the next update gives building skills as a adventure(I hope) would you be able to form a family as well from say accidental/intentional lay with a party member or a towns resident during your journeys?
I thought I would I had never hear my daughter's escapades from some boy...
DAMN YOU RUMRUSHER!!!!!!!!
"body swapping and YOU!"
Adventure in baby making!Adv Homes

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 02, 2010, 01:44:32 pm »

I wonder since the next update gives building skills as a adventure(I hope)

It doesn't.  Toady will be working on adventurer skills soon after the update.

would you be able to form a family as well from say accidental/intentional lay with a party member or a towns resident during your journeys?

Starting a family is probably further off, but there are dev items indicating it'll be possible eventually:

# AFFILIATION ARC: You should be able to rise to the top of an entity (civilization, town, etc.) in adventure mode. While the full set of responsibilities that would entail will have to wait, it should at least be possible to attain this status for the first version. You should be able to do things for individuals. This could earn you favors from sleeping in their home and food gifts all the way to a marriage offer. There can be smaller entities like bandits and cults which could offer more unsavory tasks for similar privileges (steal, kill, kidnap, etc.). Can earn right to sleep in the large hall in town if you've become affiliated with them, but vagrancy needs to be punished and the camping must be harsher before this is meaningful.

# Core60, HEIRS, (Future): Having playable heirs in adventure mode would be fun. Dwarves should also do a bit more for their children than sometimes running to pick them up when they are crawling toward the magma vent as infants, and the notion of the family in general could afford to have more impact on the game.

# PowerGoal20, SETTLING DOWN, (Future): After proving yourself in battle, you accept a gift and the hand of your spouse.

Blind Wolf

• Bay Watcher
  • [EXTRAVISION]
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 03, 2010, 09:44:07 pm »

Leave it to an elf to breed with a goblin.  :P

But anyway, good story. Still feels a bit rushed, but that's to be expected with such a short piece.

ThreeToe

• The Natural
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #39 on: February 07, 2010, 01:08:16 am »

I deleted an argument.  Lets be nice to each other.
Show your true champion nature:  support Bay 12 games!

CaptApollo12

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 10, 2010, 08:16:48 pm »

peace and love
"MONTARON!  You are so AGGRAVATING!   'Tis disturbing to my demeanor..."

Acanthus117

• Bay Watcher
  • Angry Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 13, 2010, 10:56:03 am »

Lordy, this was awesome. This reminds me of Love Can Bloom, straight from the screaming HFS pit that is 4chan, albeit the lovers are... rather odd, in my opinion. I wish that interbreeding was possible... it would make for interesting worldgens. Imagine if one civ forced goblins to breed with humans, making orky things. and then, the orkesque monsters become the main race in the civ.

Is it wrong that I imagined a blood-stained dwarf with vomit on his beard and a huge axe in hand, running into the Tree-city-thing and slaughtering everyone, Durangel included? I guess he'd pause before throttling the half-elf-goblin-eldritch-abomination-against-Armok and laugh. or pass out from the sheer Lovecraftian inability to comprehend it all.
Is apparently a Lizardman. ಠ_ಠ
YOU DOUBLE PENIS
"The pessimist is either always right or pleasantly surprised; he cherishes that which is good because he knows it cannot last."

The Architect

• Bay Watcher
  • Breeding supercows. What I've been doing on DF.
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 13, 2010, 03:48:07 pm »

He'd carry the news back to all the Armok worshippers who've been convinced for so long that elves and goblins are equally contemptible.

Would you consider writing a story that explores how such a couple could encounter each other and fall in love?
Dwarf Fortress: where blunders never cease.
The sigs topic:
Oh man, this is truly sigworthy...
Oh man. This is truly sig-worthy.

Pathos

« Reply #43 on: February 20, 2010, 07:55:32 pm »

ThreeToe should post stories more often. I do enjoy reading them. =(
Pages: 1 2 [3]