Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Your Beat Ideas EVER!  (Read 6340 times)

Aspgren

• Bay Watcher
  • Every fortress needs a spike pit.
    • View Profile
Re: Your Beat Ideas EVER!
« Reply #15 on: February 01, 2010, 10:55:35 am »

The cat pit of death.

1x1 pit.
Fill it with cats.
Let them breed.
Throw prisoners in and watch them be torn to pieces by a hundred tiny claws.
The crossbow squad, 'The Bolts of Fleeing' wouldn't even show up.
I have an art blog now.

Darkond2100

• Bay Watcher
  • Intrepid Groundhog
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 01, 2010, 11:13:00 am »

I built a 6 z-level upside down pyramid on top of a support. And a building destroyer came along....
I loled.

I dug out out a well that I fed from a brook. I had a floodgate linked to the lever right next to the well so it wouldn't overflow.  I wasn't paying attention and next thing I know water is gushing out of the well and all I see is Urist McDwarf cancels task Pull Lever: Dangerous Terrain.

In terms of brilliance, I constructed a small hammer outside my fort enterence on a support with a lever to it in my meeting area.  When a goblin seige came, I pulled the lever and the entire hammer collapses and the dust cloud knocks out the goblins.  Never lost a single marksdwarf to bowgoblins again.  I dubbed that little defense feature, the Hammer of Armok.
Do you go to Agoura High?
your hoard, your dwarves, and your fortress.
I prefer Hoard, Horde, and Hovel...

Swivelguy2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 01, 2010, 02:56:26 pm »

A good idea I recently had: if you've got a lot of wood stockpiled and the elves start to get mad, make waterwheels. They use up 3 wood, occupying 3 squares, so it's the same storage efficiency as a stockpile, and train architecture and carpentry, 2 annoying skills to get good at.

Banana

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 01, 2010, 06:32:18 pm »

A good idea I recently had: if you've got a lot of wood stockpiled and the elves start to get mad, make waterwheels. They use up 3 wood, occupying 3 squares, so it's the same storage efficiency as a stockpile, and train architecture and carpentry, 2 annoying skills to get good at.

and then when you need the wood you can deconstruct them which(correct me if im wrong) also puts up skills

Banana

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 02, 2010, 11:20:21 pm »

i finally thought of my good idea

in my community fort i built a panic room adjacent to my character's room.

It has a floodgate in front of it, a bed, a chest, a cabinet, it is engraved, and it has a room behind the main one which contains a food stockpile for my character just in case he needs to be in the panic room for an extended period of time.

Rotten

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 03, 2010, 12:01:40 am »

GCS silk farm.

My legendary weavers pound out masterpiece cloth like clockwork, each cloth (single cloth, made from one web) worth 2,000 db. Each use takes about a dwarf month to weave it all, and at about 20 webs a use that's 1,800*20*12, which is 432,000 db a year. And all I do is tell a dwarf to pull a lever every now and then. And once my clothier is done skilling up on cheap -rope reed cloth ropes-, according to the Wiki his average value multiplier will be 6 (just a base legendary), and I'm not sure how much simply weaving cloth into clothes adds, but I should get in least 11,000 db or so for each clothing item unless I calculated something wrong. I haven't even started a metal industry yet.

Doesn't matter anyways, I easily buy out the caravans every visit simply with normal GCS cloth and give the dwarves a 10,000 db offering because they are awesome.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2010, 06:48:20 pm by Rotten »
True, but at a certain velocity the resulting explosion expels invader-bits at fatal speeds. You don't want to be dropping trogdolyte-shaped shrapnel bombs into your boneworks.
Only in Dwarf Fortress...

Time Kitten

• Bay Watcher
  • Evil Spirit
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 03, 2010, 04:30:55 am »

GCS silk farm.

My legendary weavers pound out masterpiece cloth like clockwork, each cloth (single cloth, made from one web) worth 2,000 db. Each use takes about a dwarf month to weave it all, and at about 20 webs a use that's 1,800*20*12, which is 432,000 db a year. And all I do is tell a dwarf to pull a lever every now and then. And once my clothier is done skilling up on cheap -rope reed cloth ropes-, according to the Wiki his average value multiplier will be 6 (just a base legendary), and I'm not sure how much simply weaving cloth into clothes adds, but I should get in least 11,000 db or so for each clothing item unless I calculated something wrong. I have even started a metal industry yet.

Doesn't matter anyways, I easily buy out the caravans every visit simply with normal GCS cloth and give the dwarves a 10,000 db offering because they are awesome.

Be sure to masterfully dye that cloth... silver is worth the most, and if a moody dwarf gets ahold of a piece of giant cave spiders silk masterfully woven masterfully dyed cloth, dwarves will go from depressed to estatic from seeing the end product once.
Pages: 1 [2]