Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Where does iron ore usually show up?  (Read 1317 times)

AlStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Where does iron ore usually show up?
« on: August 21, 2006, 03:45:00 am »

I'm just curious where the rest of you are finding it. I've just gotten into year three of this fortress (I know this because mushroom trees are finally starting to pop up) and I only just now found my first (and thus far, only) deposit of iron ore - and not for lack of searching, either.

I was getting rather worried, since I can't cross the lava river without it (or rather the steel you turn it into.) And, perhaps more importantly, I couldn't make any of the lava buildings (It's a very, very wood-poor place outside my front gates.)

Anyway, here's where I finally found it:

The location is marked with a (just barely visable in the thumbnail) red circle.

Luckly, there's a lot of it there, so it should last me for quite some time.

Mechanoid

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTELLIGENT]
    • View Profile
Re: Where does iron ore usually show up?
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2006, 04:01:00 am »

For the deposits, try looking north and south of your initial starting location BEFORE the river, and alot more between the river and the chasm. There are also rumors of having a functioning lava-powered forge/smelter in the game, but so far i dont think anyone's been able to create one; basically it'd save you loads of coal/charcoal (and thus, wood) Otherwise, i'd suggest you tighten up your search pattern; there are awfully big holes in it.

Also, what the hell is that huge pool of red on the map, outside and to the north of your fort?!    :eek:

Hope i've been of some help.

[Edit: Also, be sure to have a large military presence when you start to build that metal bridge... It could get deadly very quickly after crossing the lava stream.]

[ August 21, 2006: Message edited by: Mechanoid ]

Quote from: Max White
"Have all the steel you want!", says Toady, "It won't save your ass this time!"

Baro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2006, 04:05:00 am »

I only found my first iron when I reached the lava.. and it was all on the wrong side.  I ended up making some massive ledges all around my side of the lava looking for some, and I finally found a little.  I had a huge grid of tunnels between the lava and the fault, didn't find any, nor coal.

Is coal on the right side of the lava?  I jsut made my first lava bridge.

I'm on year 4.

Total combat report on year 4 on a 'wild' map:
1 giant frogman (killed by trap)
1 raccoon (killed by angry swordsdwarf)
1 fire imp (killed by a hail of boltfire)

Even though I've seen such little combat, I sure I'm glad I station my troops where I do, as that fire imp could have done some serious damage if he wasn't shot down the moment he appeared.

Aristharus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2006, 04:07:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Mechanoid:
There are also rumors of having a functioning lava-powered forge/smelter in the game, but so far i dont think anyone's been able to create one

I have. I still use the normal ones, too, as I have lots of wood, and I mostly use the lava smelter and forge to make iron stuff so that my dwarves don't have to haul iron around that much. All my iron deposits are right next to the forge and smelter.

[ August 21, 2006: Message edited by: Aristharus ]

I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate. And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it.

AlStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2006, 04:23:00 am »

quote:
Also, what the hell is that huge pool of red on the map, outside and to the north of your fort?!  

You know, I was wondering that myself, so I sat and watched it for a while. Turns out it's a swamp where the cats in my fortress go when they're board to kill vermin and dragonflies. That pool of red is apperently the end result of dozens of cats all deciding to do the same thing over the course of the last three years.

My search pattern is fairly loose because I was counting on the fact that most ore veins tend to be both a - large, and b - spread out over a pretty sizable area. (The iron patch I finally found is both these things, it's just about a dozen screens further north then I was looking)

Just for kicks (since I've now found some,) I'll probably try looking north and south in the area before the river. I'll be sorta pissed if I find out all those miles of tunnels could've been avoided by just searching a little further in the early part of the mountain.

[ August 21, 2006: Message edited by: AlStar ]

LordNagash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2006, 04:44:00 am »

That's what my fortress looks like, except mine is more filled in.

Mechanoid

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTELLIGENT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2006, 04:46:00 am »

I can see the sub-title of that image being:

Maphacks: When you really need them.
 :D

Quote from: Max White
"Have all the steel you want!", says Toady, "It won't save your ass this time!"