Dogs are expendable!
- 4 (3.7%)
Cage them
- 27 (24.8%)
Other (specify)
- 17 (15.6%)

Total Members Voted: 109

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Magmapipe Critter Elimination Poll  (Read 3159 times)

CobaltKobold

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼HOOD☼ ☼ROBE☼ ☼DAGGER☼ [TAIL]
    • View Profile
Magmapipe Critter Elimination Poll
« on: January 30, 2010, 06:15:28 pm »

What it says on the tin.

Post your expected losses, too.

Usually make steel picks (- to *) and lure them out/kill with miners, lose about three quarters of a dwarf on average. Could probably lower this if I took extra time to make some way of dousing a victorious but burning dwarf.

If dogs are brought, and they don't dive into magma, it seems to cost about 1 dog per imp.
Neither whole, nor broken. Interpreting this post is left as an exercise for the reader.
OCEANCLIFF seeding, high z-var(40d)
Tilesets

Karik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Magmapipe Critter Elimination Poll
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2010, 06:17:25 pm »

I use marksdwarves, who usually have wardogs assigned, and kill all the imps with no losses, occasionally a dog if it decides to try swimming in the magma.

Skorpion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2010, 06:34:26 pm »

Other.
Route the caravans over/around the magma pipe. Let them do the killing for you.

That's only for an aboveground pipe, though. Underground, just wall 'em off.
The *large serrated steel disk* strikes the Raven in the head, tearing apart the muscle, shattering the skull, and tearing apart the brain!
A tendon in the skull has been torn!
The Raven has been knocked unconcious!

Elves do it in trees. Humans do it in wooden structures. Dwarves? Dwarves do it underground. With magma.

TKGP

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2010, 06:43:00 pm »

Initially I just wall it, then wrestle those assholes to death when I've got a bunch of champions.
Quote from: tomio175
Quote from: Mrhappyface
Well if COD players all have ADHD, and Minecrafters autism, then what do DF players all have?
Cave adaption.

ungulateman

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: haunting moos]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2010, 06:44:11 pm »

Live with 'em, or wrestle them to death with miners.

Generally one miner at most dies, if I don't have channels to prevent them from walking in a straight line.
That's the great thing about this forum. We can derail any discussion into any other topic.
It's not an embark so much as seven dwarves having a simultaneous strange mood and going off to build an artifact fortress that menaces with spikes of awesome and hanging rings of death.

derekiv

• Bay Watcher
  • The smile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2010, 07:25:59 pm »

Set them on fire. It always results in a giggle when I scroll down the units list and see deceased !!fire imps!!  :D

They Got Leader

• Bay Watcher
  • Current Fortress:
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2010, 07:42:16 pm »

I leave them be, usually. If its underground then i puncture the pipe, then seal it in. When I access it for my magmaworks, I just use a fortification-straining method. If above ground, I wait for them to come out and kill them one by one. Or wall it in (depending on various factors).
Quote from: Urist McDwarfFortress
You do not understand the ways of Toady One. He is not a business, he's just a guy trying to make a fun game. He's invited people to come along and experience the journey with him (and help him test it out as he goes along). At the end of the day, I don't think his main goal is to sell Dwarf Fortress, its just to create the best game possible.

Creaca

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm Back.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2010, 07:55:01 pm »

After I have my forges supplyed with magma, (With fortifications to block the critters entry) I pump some water over the top layer of the pipe to create the future site for my Forts temple.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2010, 07:58:13 pm »

-snip-
« Last Edit: April 11, 2015, 12:30:16 am by Bauglir »
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2010, 08:05:35 pm »

P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

CobaltKobold

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼HOOD☼ ☼ROBE☼ ☼DAGGER☼ [TAIL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2010, 08:21:01 pm »

Quietust: text explanation, please, DFMA hasn't been working for me recently.

The main reason I made this poll is, it seems like most people tap the side of the pipe and ignore and then lose a non-insignificant fraction of their fort when a fire imp pops up.

And that seems strange to me.
Neither whole, nor broken. Interpreting this post is left as an exercise for the reader.
OCEANCLIFF seeding, high z-var(40d)
Tilesets

Rico21

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2010, 08:35:14 pm »

I dig out the magma forge workshops very early in my fortress, usually the first rooms I dig out.  Then I set up 3 or 4 war dogs which are tied to ropes within the room that's then sealed by locked, tightly shut doors.  Lastly, I dig a channel tile and eventually the magma critters come and get killed by the dogs.  Usually the fire creatures are long gone by the first winter.
   If the top of the magma pipe is near my wagon at the beginning, I just tie up the dogs right next to the magma in a group and that's that.  Putting the dogs all close to each other usually ensures their survival, and then I remove those ropes and tie the war dogs near my entrance to stop thieves.

Beanchubbs

• Bay Watcher
  • Khorne Flakes: Crunchy & Delicious
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2010, 08:44:35 pm »

I usually dig into the side of it, and build a single exit for them. I chain a dog near the channel into the magma pipe and station a drafted lye maker in the cage trapped exit. When they see it, they pop up, and kill the dog, charge at the recruit, and get captured. I set them into a breeding chamber (modded them) and use a cage trap method to get some of them into the arena.
Yikes, the Orcs have a nasty language.  Traditional foreplay would be right out for them; how would they ever "say my name" for one another?  No wonder Ocrs are always so bloodthirsty and violent, they're getting sub-par action.

darthbob88

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2010, 08:49:27 pm »

Quietust: text explanation, please, DFMA hasn't been working for me recently.
Standard cave-in trap, applied to the magma pipe. Dug out the ceiling over the magma trap, which was held up by a single support attached to a lever, then pulled the lever. Everything in the pipe was crushed fairly quickly.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2010, 09:04:55 pm »

Granted, this was long after I had actually set up my magma workshops - I basically just used a screw pump to fill the magma reservoirs beforehand, and the pump's intake was also sourced through a fortification.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.
Pages: [1] 2 3