Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Sphere Planning Tool  (Read 11469 times)

Moosey

• Bay Watcher
  • [moose brute extract]
    • View Profile
Sphere Planning Tool
« on: February 01, 2010, 01:49:11 pm »

Struggling to construct that perfect Arcology dome or dwarven Death Star?  Fret no more!  Presenting the Sphere Planning Tool:

Download: http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?hwnmyoqzoyy

Screenshot:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

This is a self-contained JavaScript application in a single HTML file.  Just download and run in your web browser of choice.

The tool displays layers from a spherical dome.  Just input how many z-levels you want the half-sphere to span, and the ratio of x and y units to z (for viewing in VisualFortress with default settings, this would be 2.0).  Then you can select which z-level to view, and it shows you a grid indicating which squares fall inside and outside the dome at that level.  For a full sphere rather than a dome, just mirror the levels going up the dome below as well.  The blue lines are marked once every ten squares, which lines up with the shift+arrow jumps in DF.
Backs to the wheel
There's granite to shove

TKGP

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Sphere Planning Tool
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2010, 02:31:46 pm »

I would just like to say that this is very nice. I always have issues approximating spheres in grid-based systems, and this looks perfect for the job.
Quote from: tomio175
Quote from: Mrhappyface
Well if COD players all have ADHD, and Minecrafters autism, then what do DF players all have?
Cave adaption.

They Got Leader

• Bay Watcher
  • Current Fortress:
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2010, 02:33:36 pm »

Nice! Thank you very much!
Quote from: Urist McDwarfFortress
You do not understand the ways of Toady One. He is not a business, he's just a guy trying to make a fun game. He's invited people to come along and experience the journey with him (and help him test it out as he goes along). At the end of the day, I don't think his main goal is to sell Dwarf Fortress, its just to create the best game possible.

Airpi

• Bay Watcher
  • PREFSTRING:whimsy
    • View Profile
    • I say things. Often.
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2010, 10:29:52 am »

Downloading this right now! I always try to use circular shapes and I always mess them up somehow. This will be v. handy!
⊂(゚ヮ゚⊂⌒つ    ⊂(゚ヮ゚⊂⌒つ

Echo7

• Bay Watcher
  • Reading you loud and clear, kid.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2010, 01:39:03 am »

This. is. awesome.

From those of us who Dwarf on a Mac, many thanks for making this Javascript instead of Yet Another Windows Application. :)
Always shoot first.

Alex Steiner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2010, 06:10:41 am »

All we need to do now is export it to Quickfort et al ;)

Considering I spent an hour yesterday writing a square counter on a graphics calculator to do just what this does, I applaud your timing.

Good work.

Edit: You should put this on DFFD.

Jetsquirrel

• Bay Watcher
  • In the end, i will win.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2010, 12:35:22 pm »

god damn thats handy i now i make my hanging sphere Fort!

They Got Leader

• Bay Watcher
  • Current Fortress:
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2010, 03:39:50 pm »

Im using it on my Bridge to Nowhere fort. The main entrance on the island side is a dome
Quote from: Urist McDwarfFortress
You do not understand the ways of Toady One. He is not a business, he's just a guy trying to make a fun game. He's invited people to come along and experience the journey with him (and help him test it out as he goes along). At the end of the day, I don't think his main goal is to sell Dwarf Fortress, its just to create the best game possible.

Warlord255

• Bay Watcher
  • Master Building Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2010, 01:15:09 pm »

Necro-bumping; mediafire is dead. Does anyone still have this tool who can upload it to DFFD?
DF Vanilla-Spice Revised: Better balance, more !!fun!!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=173907.msg7968772#msg7968772

LeadfootSlim on Steam, LeadfootSlim#1851 on Discord. Hit me up!

Calhoun

• Bay Watcher
  • Reusable-Box
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2010, 01:23:44 pm »

If necessary I can, though it's gonna be awhile, the files are stored on another computer.
I know it's unrealistic, but I can't help but imagine little bearded babies for dwarves. In my mind, they come out of the womb fully bearded. That's how the mother carries them around, too, she just drags them around by the beard or ties it to her belt. When the father's on duty, he just ties their beards together and the baby just kind of hangs there, swinging to and fro with Urist McDaddy's movements.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2010, 02:14:26 pm »

I have a Python script which creates sphere patterns.  I have uploaded it to DFFD here:

http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=2023

This is not the sphere planning tool previously posted, but a utility I wrote independently that does pretty much the same thing.  You need Python 2.6 to run this file, and you need to rename it from .txt to .py because DFFD doesn't allow .py files to be uploaded.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Samoorai

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:shocking anatomy]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2010, 07:38:10 pm »

If necessary I can, though it's gonna be awhile, the files are stored on another computer.
It's necessary. I don't have python. My fortress is stalled until I get this.
Behold my mighty fortress! Go on, I dare you! (40d)
But Roadhouse is a true masterpiece. Seriously.

Seriously, there could not have been a more appropriate end to the saga of Boatmurdered than a gigantic flaming apocalypse for no apparent reason. -- StarkRavingMad

kotekzot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2010, 07:53:09 pm »

i would like to have this as well.
Dwarf Fortress: Where violent death is a renewable resource
Bro, your like... thinking like a square man... its like, the WHOLE lamprey is just like, one big NECK dude, you know? its like hahahaha! dude protect the trees though, seriously. *inhale*... anyways... you like, want this dead black bear, bro?

snaggles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2010, 08:03:18 pm »

Shad0wyone

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 07, 2010, 08:25:19 pm »

Just so you know, it is better to run that in the windows command prompt, python instantly quits after the script is done running, so you never get to see it :P
You do have to increase the buffer size, in the properties of command prompt, so that you can see all of it.
Properties->Layout->Screen Buffer Size->Height
Also, somebody put up that original sphere planning tool D:
Pages: [1] 2