Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Some questions: Bow + armors function, backpack, movement delay?  (Read 1828 times)

meketreff

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile

Hi. I just began to try adv mode and got some q's. I'm also new in DF overall, I did my best to learn it in the past weeks.

How is the relation of bows and armors? [For exemple, is it possible to be as efficient with a bow with just leather armor and with a plate if you train the skill? Maybe it just extend till chainmail? What about shields?]

Can we usually fight at distance with a bow and change to melee? Any way to have a shortcut for that?

About backpack, is weight an issue? Or how many itens can we carry? I once found this probably assalted caravan stuff on the ground, many things but after I got them I noticed my character was slow and it seemed he got hungry/thirsty faster. But on another ocasion I found speed to be normal so I got confused.

Also, about ADV mode generally, is there a bit of lag/delay to button holding movement? Its always like that for me, in the way that when I release the button it is still following early move commands. Btw, lag isnt an issue in Fortress Mode (unless from pet explosion, sure).

Any hint about a good way to make some bucks in the beggining (for me to buy arrows)? In my first try I got this quest to kill the giant and went after him; I used my bow against it (I used all the points in bow proficency) and I was just scratching him after many many shots. Same thing against the giant rat there. How tough are they really or how weak is a skill still with all the avalalible start points in it?
« Last Edit: March 01, 2010, 12:34:48 am by meketreff »

Argonnek

• Bay Watcher
  • Surging Forward
    • View Profile
Re: Some questions: Bow + armors function, backpack, movement delay?
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2010, 01:07:31 am »

The armor you wear has no effect on weapon proficiencies, but it does affect your speed.

Sadly, there is no 'switch weapon' command that I'm aware of, but if you're good at judging the speed of your enemies you can switch weapons before they come into melee range.

There is no item limit, but what you carry definitely affects your speed, which affects everything you do.

There is indeed a button delay in Adv mode, but it varies depending on your CPU power. A warning about this: Do NOT hold down the movement keys when in 'T'ravel mode, it's the main killer of most of my adventurers, as the delay in travel mode transfers to movement on the zoom map. Movement straight into an ambush of wolves.

A good tip would be to go to a town and talk with any person there about the surroundings. They will tell you about caves, among other things, and caves usually contain valuable trinkets that were stolen from somewhere else. These trinkets can then be sold for money or bartered for arrows.

If you want a truly effective archer, put most of your points into bow (so that it's at about Proficient) and the rest into Ambushing. You use ambushing when you 'S'neak, and no one notices when arrows start flying out of nowhere and killing people.

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2010, 01:26:19 am »

but it does affect your speed.

So long as you're not strong enough to wear it unemcumbered, that is.

meketreff

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2010, 07:45:27 pm »

Nice, thanks. Adventure Mode is also fun, I hope they give it the same attention.