Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Elevators  (Read 840 times)

Mulch Diggums

• Bay Watcher
  • "Hey urist! I think that cat is having a seizure!"
    • View Profile
Elevators
« on: January 30, 2008, 12:30:00 pm »

Another use for windmills waterwheels perpetual motion machines and the like.

The elevator would be built in two seperate parts. The whinch(I cant think of a better name for it) and the car. The winch would be made with a few bars of metal and a bunch of mechanisms and the car would ..well im not sure. Maby a cage or something. Any way it would use a lot mechanisms in its creation as well.
Yay for giving energy a better purpose!

ooooo! Swamp wiskey! Yeah!!

Fenrir

Re: Elevators
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2008, 12:36:00 pm »

How would elevators be useful?

apache1990

• Bay Watcher
  • Arena Master
    • View Profile
    • Bay Watcher Arena V2.0!
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2008, 12:39:00 pm »

Enemies can't get up the shaft without the elevator on their floor?

The only advantage over stairs I can think of.

Fenrir

« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2008, 12:44:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by apache1990:
<STRONG>Enemies can't get up the shaft without the elevator on their floor?</STRONG>

The same would apply to your dwarves.

apache1990

• Bay Watcher
  • Arena Master
    • View Profile
    • Bay Watcher Arena V2.0!
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2008, 12:46:00 pm »

But only the dwarves know which lever brings the elevator, and which one raises all the spikes in the hallway.

numerobis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2008, 02:43:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Fenrir:
<STRONG>How would elevators be useful?</STRONG>

(1) Stockpile finished goods on the elevator deep in your fortress, next to the workshops.  When the caravan comes, pull the lever and presto! the finished goods stockpile is now right next to the trade depot, saving you either lots of hauling, or the need to have a short path to the depot.

(2) Trap the goblin army in the elevator.  Move it down to the arena all at once.  Enjoy the show.

You can do the same things with retracting bridges, so elevators aren't crucial, but they'd be fun.

numerobis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2008, 03:51:00 pm »

Oh, and elevators would provide a good use for ropes.  Ropes are underused so far (wells and chains is all, right?  and it's not like you need many of those).

InquisitiveIdiot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2008, 04:17:00 pm »

Well, currently dwarves move vertically as fast as they do horizontally.  I don't know of anyone who can climb a flight of stairs as quickly as they walk ten feet.

If and when stairs actually do take 10 time steps to climb, elevators will be a much more attractive prospect.

quote:
Ropes are underused so far (wells and chains is all, right? and it's not like you need many of those).
Ropes actually make fantastic decoration for noble quarters.    Fantastic.

[ January 30, 2008: Message edited by: InquisitiveIdiot ]

gurra_geban

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2008, 07:11:00 pm »

quote:
Well, currently dwarves move vertically as fast as they do horizontally. I don't know of anyone who can climb a flight of stairs as quickly as they walk ten feet.
If and when stairs actually do take 10 time steps to climb, elevators will be a much more attractive prospect.

now thats agood idea, and in addition to that, stones and wooden logs should make dwarves much slower than they do now. elevators/automated tracks/horse carts for the lumberjacks... would make windmills and machinery much more useful as well..

een failing lately?

Been

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2008, 08:07:00 am »

Plus you could always make lots of them linked to a single lever and have a mural that can descend from the upper levels and squash your foes.  Surely I can't be the only person who likes the idea of "Thwomp"ing parts of a goblin siege using a mural of an actual thwomp?

Rawl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2008, 09:52:31 pm »

*poke poke* Thread still seems fresh enough and makes enough good points.

Things that are noted in this thread about how could Elevators be use full when dwarves more in ALL directions at the same speed. I like the idea that dwarves could take longer going up stairs, but if when things like wheel barrows and carts get added, i just don't think that stairs should be an option for these. Yes I know we have things like elephants and dragons easily fitting through tiny corridors, but this kind of thing could add some nice additions.

Even if dwarves can still move up and down stairs relatively fast we could always look at elevators as "instant teleportation" if slowing dwarves down vastly for what they're carrying gets passed  by. plus what if I want to take a mountain of objects from -zlevel 15 up to zlevel 20? That would take my peasants many a season and just thing of their poor stunty legs!