Dwarf Fortress > DF Dwarf Mode Discussion

Hammers or Maces

(1/6) > >>

MacaqueAttack:
Since hammers and maces are the exact same mechanically, the only difference would be thematically. So, if you use either of these, which do you prefer? I like hammers, they just seem so dorfy to me. The smooth, flat sides squishing a goblin's skull, and the fact that it's based on a tool.

Rat Of Wisdom:
Hammers and axes have always been the dwarfiest of weapons in my opinion. The hammers make perfect sense, for the reason you stated, but I'm not sure why axes would... I just remember the Morian battle cry from LotR. "Baruk Khazad! Khazad ai-menu!" ("Axes of the Dwarves! The Dwarves are upon you!") However they piss elves off something fierce, and that's never a bad thing.

I use wrestlers in my fortress though ;D

Cheddarius:
Hammers sound great to me too. It's just... the idea of a hammer, I think. A mace is heavy but also spiky, a hammer destroys solely through its sheer crushing weight. I would say it's similar to the difference between using a sniper rifle (which is cool) and a sword (which is FRIGGIN' AWESOME).

Doomshifter:
I think in the next version, the distinction between hammer and mace will be a lot more different. I'm not entirely sure how so, but I do recall talk of it being different.

darthbob88:
Hammers and axes, with spears for big things and swords for any damn thing. Hammers are better because they're also the skill used with crossbows in melee, and because goblin golf is easier with hammers than maces. Axes are useful because of the way they make goblins explode, spears are useful for big things and thematic reasons, and swords are good because I usually have large quantities of obsidian and stonecrafters are easier to get than weaponsmiths.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version