Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Resisting interrogation!  (Read 6416 times)

irmo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Resisting interrogation!
« on: February 02, 2010, 03:59:44 am »

The "heat generation" thread got me thinking about this:

Yes, but those are patriotic, conservative organized crime rings.  Nobody cares about them as much as they care about the leftist terrorists that the LCS represents.  When terrorists are concerned, all those pesky laws that hinder normal criminal investigations disappear.  ;D

There's currently not much to criminal investigations. For one, the police are way too trigger happy. But when one of your dudes is captured, there's a die roll of some kind, and then the Liberal either cracks or doesn't, and then in court, the strength of the case against you is another die roll. We should be able to see the other side of the Interrogation screen.

Here's a stab at it. Internally, there's a list of charges which the police are trying to nail you for, same as now. In each day of interrogation, a police detective attacks with Wisdom and Psychology. You get several options:

Confess - end the interrogation; you'll be charged with everything and the prosecution's case will be very strong. Anyone else on your roster who was present for those crimes will also be charged and you'll lose Juice for them. If your Heart < Wisdom, you'll do this automatically.
Lie - defend with Persuasion. If you win, a charge is removed from your record. If you win big, you convince them they've got the wrong guy and they release you. If you lose, you accidentally confess to a charge.
Remain Silent - defend with Heart. If you win, you gain a point of Heart and some Juice. If you lose, you lose a point of Heart.
Demand a Lawyer - if Police Behavior is at L or better, this gives you a lawyer. At C, you defend with Law skill and get the lawyer if you win (the cops will try to talk you out of it). At C+, you don't get a lawyer, you scumbag terrorist. Once you have a lawyer, the police have a time limit (depends on the lawyer's Law skill?) to move you to the courthouse. At that point, they proceed with the case they have, which is probably weak unless you've been ratted out.
Testify! - counterattack with Persuasion and Charisma. If this succeeds, your interrogator loses a point of Wisdom and you gain some Juice. If it fails, you have a chance to gain a point of Wisdom (you are talking to an arch-conservative). If your interrogator's Wisdom drops below his Heart, he'll release you and he might become enlightened! With Free Speech at C+, this is a minor crime in itself ("Sedition") but you can still try.
Escape! - you get a Security roll to get free from your restraints. After that, you're outside the cell in the police station. Martial Arts is your friend.

If the laws are conservative enough, they'll also torture you, in which case your Heart (and health) will get depleted per the current interrogation system.

One minor side benefit: as you get interrogated, you learn Psychology skill from having it used on you.

Thoughts? I might try to code this if work isn't too crazy this week.

Liberal Elitist

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm more liberal than you are!
    • View Profile
    • The Liberal Crime Squad wiki
Re: Resisting interrogation!
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2010, 04:39:44 am »

Good idea, you should do it.  A little complicated though... might be confusing to those of us playing the game.  And maybe some of the details might need to be changed, but overall, go ahead and put it into the game, if any of it turns out to be bad, you can fix it later.  A great idea, I think.
The Liberal Crime Squad wiki is your friend.

Quote from: Lielac
Edit: Figured it out via a little bit of trial and error and oH MY GOD WHAT IS THIS MUSIC WHAT IS THIS MUSIC WHAT THE HECK IS IT SPACEBALLS MUSIC? WHATEVER IT IS IT IS MAGICAL

Jonathan S. Fox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.jonathansfox.com/
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2010, 01:36:26 pm »

I think this is a really good idea, and would add a fun dimension to the game. You may want to consider police torture (low human rights and police regulation) and a hunger strike option (remain silent plus increasing juice at the cost of "blood" if you succeed in a health roll).

The angle I would approach this from is to feed it directly into the strength of the case that the prosecution makes at court -- set a base strength of the case and go ahead and display it directly on the screen during these interrogations. The strength of the case decreases slightly when you successfully lie, but increases substantially when you fail to lie, fail at converting the detective (everything you say or do can and will be used against you in a court of law), or admit your involvement in an action. Remaining silent doesn't affect the case one way or another, even if you fail your roll.

For flavor, on the first day of interrogation, you may wish to add the following text:

You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say may be used against you in a court of law. (or: You do not have a right to remain silent. If you choose not to cooperate with this interview, your silence will be used against you in a court of law.)

You have the right to an attorney. If you cannot afford an attorney, one may be appointed to you. (or: You do not have a right to an attorney. If you can afford an attorney, you may request one at the point of trial.)

Based on the evidence currently arrayed against (Liberal Name Here), the police case appears to be (weak/fairly weak/fairly strong/very strong). Given the strength of the case, does (Liberal Name Here) wish to talk to the police?

Present the other options (excluding remain silent) if the player says "yes". Depending on how Conservative the country is, determine how the rights (or lack thereof) are phrased, and let them try to beat the information out of the suspect.

CheGregory

• Bay Watcher
  • Liberal Crime Squad Strikes!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2010, 09:59:38 pm »

I think this is a really good idea, and would add a fun dimension to the game. You may want to consider police torture (low human rights and police regulation) and a hunger strike option (remain silent plus increasing juice at the cost of "blood" if you succeed in a health roll).

The angle I would approach this from is to feed it directly into the strength of the case that the prosecution makes at court -- set a base strength of the case and go ahead and display it directly on the screen during these interrogations. The strength of the case decreases slightly when you successfully lie, but increases substantially when you fail to lie, fail at converting the detective (everything you say or do can and will be used against you in a court of law), or admit your involvement in an action. Remaining silent doesn't affect the case one way or another, even if you fail your roll.

For flavor, on the first day of interrogation, you may wish to add the following text:

You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say may be used against you in a court of law. (or: You do not have a right to remain silent. If you choose not to cooperate with this interview, your silence will be used against you in a court of law.)

You have the right to an attorney. If you cannot afford an attorney, one may be appointed to you. (or: You do not have a right to an attorney. If you can afford an attorney, you may request one at the point of trial.)

Based on the evidence currently arrayed against (Liberal Name Here), the police case appears to be (weak/fairly weak/fairly strong/very strong). Given the strength of the case, does (Liberal Name Here) wish to talk to the police?

Present the other options (excluding remain silent) if the player says "yes". Depending on how Conservative the country is, determine how the rights (or lack thereof) are phrased, and let them try to beat the information out of the suspect.

That'd be nice...it'd give a bit of inbetween besides waiting until the end of 2 months for the trial. It also would help give a bit of control over whether rescued Liberals would be beaten/hunger-stricken, etc...
Fan of the "Swords Only LCS"

Little

• Bay Watcher
  • IN SOVIET RUSSIA, LITTLE IS YOU!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2010, 12:20:14 am »

JSF's idea needs more flavor text, but I approve of the whole thing.
Blizzard is managed by dark sorcerers, and probably have enough money to bail-out the federal government.

Jonathan S. Fox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.jonathansfox.com/
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2010, 05:09:02 am »

Flavor text is delicious, and I always want more. Any suggestions?

In fact, if there's anything in the game that you think could use a dose of flavor text, it can help a lot. I was just thinking that some exchanging taunts during combat might be neat as an occasional feature, or maybe they'd say something before delivering a critical hit or particularly potent deathblow.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2010, 08:19:27 am »

I'm just starting the game, and I am all for it. The more complex and detailed the game is, the more interesting it is to learn and play it :).

Also, I want to be able to break out of jail with my martial artist character :D.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2010, 11:56:47 am »

In fact, if there's anything in the game that you think could use a dose of flavor text, it can help a lot. I was just thinking that some exchanging taunts during combat might be neat as an occasional feature, or maybe they'd say something before delivering a critical hit or particularly potent deathblow.
Oh... Liberal One Liners.  We totally need these.  I'll get to work.

Demonic Pancake

• Bay Watcher
  • Fear the pancake!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2010, 08:43:39 pm »

Oh... Liberal One Liners.  We totally need these.  I'll get to work.

That would be sick... I can see it now...

It would also be cool if you would occasionally shout your slogan after an important hit. This could make conservatives run away just like the other "shout your slogan" option.

Capital Fish

• Bay Watcher
  • "Hi Mister Dog!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2010, 10:06:26 pm »

If we've got Liberal one liners, we'll need conservative one liners as well!

Am I the only one who pictures those guys as sounding like the Super Mutants in Fallout?
Find the errors in the above post and win a prize!

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2010, 03:50:52 pm »

Trevor Gleaves shoots at DethSquad Officer with an M4 Carbine!
Trevor Gleaves hits the head three times BLOWING IT APART!
"When it comes to gun control, actions speak louder than words."
Trevor Gleaves gracefully strikes at News Anchor!
Trevor Gleaves hits the head, striking five times.
"Betcha wish you had free healthcare now, huh?"
The 1992 police cruiser spins out and crashes.
The person inside is crushed into a cube.
"Social Darwinism at its finest"
Trevor Greaves successfully opens the safe!
"Don't worry.  I'm sure it'll trickle back down to you eventually."

Demonic Pancake

• Bay Watcher
  • Fear the pancake!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2010, 06:56:11 pm »

Trevor Gleaves shoots at DethSquad Officer with an M4 Carbine!
"When it comes to gun control, actions speak louder than words."
Trevor Gleaves gracefully strikes at News Anchor!
Trevor Gleaves hits the head, striking five times.
"Betcha wish you had free healthcare now, huh?"
The 1992 police cruiser spins out and crashes.
The person inside is crushed into a cube.
"Social Darwinism at its finest"
Trevor Greaves successfully opens the safe!
"Don't worry.  I'm sure it'll trickle back down to you eventually."

Love 'em. Love 'em all. Although I think universal healthcare would be better... Just saying...

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2010, 07:12:54 pm »

Ah, yeah.  That was the phrase I was looking for.  Hmm...
Trevor Gleaves shoots at the Fireman with an AK47!
"Hows this for a crime on par with murder?
Marion Cook shows Janitor the .44 Magnum!
"Now may be a good time to revise your views on women."
DethSquad officer shoots Trevor Gleaves with an M14 carbine!
DethSquad officer misses!
"Well, at least you're getting executed for drug use too."

HAMMERMILL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2010, 10:49:08 pm »

Nothing, nevermind.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2010, 11:01:55 pm by HAMMERMILL »

Necaladun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 05, 2010, 09:32:21 pm »

Don't forget low intelligence for police interrogations!

The old photocopier+collander+wires+piece of paper with "Lie." written on it is remarkably effective.
Pages: [1] 2