Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 44

Author Topic: Cybrid Mafia : I//S//E - Game has ended, Cybrid Victory! ToonyMan, Dakarian win!  (Read 45915 times)

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

INFILTRATE//SEEK//ELIMINATE

The Theme:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cybrids_(Starsiege)
The theme is Starsiege, an series of games that include the popular Earthsiege, Cyberstorm, and Tribes titles. Human machines called Cybrid, led by Prometheus, have turned on their creators after they were used for endless war, deciding that humans had clearly proved themselves incapable of handling the Cybrid destiny. During the war, they do interesting things like tying dozens of screaming babies and women to the front of their warmechs to decrease enemy morale, releasing hostages after implanting bombs in them, and creating "Trojan Horses" by scooping out the brains of important figures and filling it with a Cybrid intelligence matrix.

Of course, warmechs don't fit mafia, but there's a lot of subterfuge and politics going on in the background, the most important part being the Trojan Horse program. the Imperial Police rule the colonies with an iron fist, and unrest is beginning to grow...

The Setting:
A group of workers at a remote Martian mining base, have had a string of bad luck lately. First, there's the dust storm - its been raging for days, and shows no sign of letting up any time soon, cutting off communications and isolating the base.
As if that wasn't bad enough, there was recently an accident in the mines, and several good employees were lost.
But the bad news is about to get worse - during the autopsy, it is discovered that one of the miners is no longer human - he has been turned into a Trojan Horse. Suddenly, the Cybrid threat is very real, as each of the workers turn their eyes to each other and realize that any of their friends could be the enemy. The worst news is that the conversion was clearly recent - there must be a Cybrid still on the base, and he has the ability to make more like himself.

The Scum:
The Mafia is a single Trojan Horse cybrid, with the ability to convert other players to the cybrid cause. When the last scum is eliminated, the game ends.

The Town:
The mining group is also split between those with Rebel and Imperial sympathies. The rebels realize the threat the cybrid infiltrator poses, but also the opportunity, and the Imperials know that the rebels are planning to make a move. The group with the allegiance of the most players at the end is considered the winner.

POSSIBLE ROLES - NOTE ALL ARE GUARANTEED OR EQUALLY LIKELY.

Active Rebel Roles (Has quickchat, though only organizer starts in it):
Organizer - Has the ability to invite players to Rebel Quickchat. If a rebel uses an ability on them, he learns the identity of that rebel.
Saboteur- Has the ability to roleblock another players action.
Persuader - Once per night, has the ability to offer membership in the Rebellion to another player. He must PM the host with the desired target, and the offer (along with any argument) will be passed on. He does not know if he succeeds or fails. This is considered an automatic failure against some targets, however.
Informant - Has the ability to investigate a person each night to determine their sympathies. Attempts against cybrids return untruths.
Fanatic - Has a single day or nightkill. Dies in the process when used, on account of it being a bomb.
Snowman - Has access to the overseers announcement system.

Imperial Officer Roles:
Overseer - His loyalty to the Imperial Empire are known to all other players, but his identity isn't. Knows Imperial Officer roles, and can check results of their actions. May make public announcements as Overseer via the Overseer account, and play as a regular player in the thread. Powerful role, but a huge liability if converted or killed.
Enforcer - May commit nightkills.
Interrogator - Has the ability to investigate a person each night to determine their sympathies. Attempts against cybrids return untruths.
Investigator - May search a players rooms and belongings, which will reveal the following roles, if applicable: Cybrid Infiltrator, Rebel Fanatic, Imperial Enforcer, Doctor.

Neutral (Could be held by Imperials or Rebels) Roles:
Guard - May simultaneously Protect/Roleblack another player during both day and night. This is a public ability, and must be declared. Works against kills AND conversions.
Technician - Day action, public action, may announce a public "Inspection" against another player to publicly reveal his current cybrid/human status.
Doctor - May target a player to protect. That player may not be night killed.
Weak **** - This player dies if the cybrid attempt to convert him.
Healthy **** - This player can survive through a single kill attempt, but not a lynch.
Miner - The standard townie.

Minor Roles
Pilot - You can fly planes.
Mechanic - You can fix broken things.
HERC pilot - You can drive the mining HERCs.
Reporter - You're looking for a good story.

Cybrid roles: A cybrid role will be "randomly" chosen upon a successful conversion:
Machinator//Infiltrator - The only one capable of creating more cybrids. He has a small stock of positronic brains that were smuggled in, which means he must avoid the investigator.
Inquisitor//Analyzer - Capable of detecting a targets sympathies and abilities. Allegiance+Role.
Hunter//Killer - Has a night kill.
Redactor//Reprogrammer - Each day, may repogram another cybrid unit to randomly change their role. If this is attempted against a metagen, his existance is revealed and the unit is destroyed.
Metagen//Traitor - Survivor. Does not count as scum. Wins if the game ends and he is still alive.
There may also be a few other special roles I'd want to keep secret.

Current players signed up:
0. The Overseer
1. Vector
2. Leafsnail - Rebel Informant
3. Mr. Person - Cybrid Inquisitor
4. Rysith - Cybrid Redactor
5. Apostolistic Nihilist Mephansteras #2
6. Dakarian
7. Mephansteras - Rebel Persuader Fanatic
8. ToonyMan
9. Archangel - Cybrid Metagen, Survivor
10. Webadict
11. MagmaDeath - Imperial Interrogator
« Last Edit: March 24, 2010, 11:19:01 pm by GlyphGryph »

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: INFILTRATE//SEEK//ELIMINATE (Sign-ups!)
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2010, 05:28:14 pm »

In, of course :)
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2010, 05:32:48 pm »

Also, how many players do you want/need for this?  I need to know that before I can add an entry to the Signboard.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2010, 07:29:51 pm »

I should be able to run it with 9/11/13 depend on modifications.

11 Is my optimal number though, so put me down for that.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [SIGN UPS 1/11] INFILTRATE//SEEK//ELIMINATE
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2010, 05:47:53 pm »

Meh.  Think you need to wait a touch longer, until a couple more games end.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2010, 06:04:18 pm »

We only have 5 games running atm, though.  That's nota a huge number, although they all seem to be in midgame atm.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2010, 06:11:02 pm »

We only have 5 games running atm, though.  That's nota a huge number, although they all seem to be in midgame atm.

Ah, I meant "to get any kind of reasonable signups."  We don't seem to be able to get many people for anything right now (though on the plus side, our games have pretty much stopped dying midway due to lurkers!  Huzzah).  I'll also note that the most recent Toon Mafia has only filled halfway, and it's our other 11-person game open at the moment.

I think we'll get more signups once BMVIII ends, with luck.  In any case, I'm mostly being a bit paranoid about things, with this vague fear that we're going to end up not having any games to play anymore.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2010, 06:19:32 pm »

Well, we'll probably have less activity with the upcoming DF release anyway.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2010, 06:32:35 pm »

Well, we'll probably have less activity with the upcoming DF release anyway.

True.  Guess I'd better keep that quote people keep reminding me of in mind:

Quote from: Leia Organa
The more you tighten your grip, Tarkin, the more star systems will slip through your fingers.

Though originally they used to phrase it this way:

Consider the function f: R → R, x x/x+1. Then ∀x>0 (x≠2).

The second notion is a bit more intuitive, of course, but it's nice to see that I've been upgraded out of mathematical notation and into Star Wars movie quotations in terms of what people think I'll understand :D

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2010, 08:34:57 pm »

I'll in.

Mr.Person

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [SIGN UPS 2/11] INFILTRATE//SEEK//ELIMINATE
« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2010, 08:59:28 pm »

I'll join this, sure.
Youtube video of the year, all years.
Hmm...I've never been a big fan of CCGs - I mean, I did and still do collect Pokemon cards, but I never got heavily into the battling and trading thing.

By definition that makes you a fan since you still buy them.

Rysith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [SIGN UPS 3/11] INFILTRATE//SEEK//ELIMINATE
« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2010, 09:20:30 pm »

In, sure. Tribes/Tribes 2 were awesome.
Lanternwebs: a community fort
Try my orc mod!
The OP deserves the violent Dwarven equivalent of the Nobel Peace Prize.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [SIGN UPS 3/11] INFILTRATE//SEEK//ELIMINATE
« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2010, 09:28:04 pm »

Though Tribes was actually the... hmm... 6th game in this setting. This setting is closer to the third.

For those interested the games go:
Earthsiege, Earthsiege 2, Starsiege, Mission Force: CyberStorm, CyberStorm 2: Corporate Wars, then Starsiege: Tribes/Tribes 2/Tribes Vengeance.

Personally, Tribes is perhaps my least favorite game in the series, though I still greatly enjoy it as I love all of them.

Here is the setting of the era you will be playing in in more detail:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Starsiege

Apostolic Nihilist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [SIGN UPS 4/11] INFILTRATE//SEEK//ELIMINATE
« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2010, 10:31:29 pm »

Sure -- I'll in.

I mean, I'm dead in everything else.

dakarian

• Bay Watcher
  • OMGITSACAT
    • View Profile
Re: [SIGN UPS 4/11] INFILTRATE//SEEK//ELIMINATE
« Reply #14 on: February 04, 2010, 11:40:42 pm »

Alright alright, I do need to get into a game again and I LIKE this setup.

i'm in.
Quote from: Dakarian
What was I doing with Mr.Person through most of Day 3, lovemaking!?
I KNEW IT!
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 44