Dwarf Fortress > DF Dwarf Mode Discussion

Demolishing Caravans

(1/2) > >>

LoneJedi7:
i have recently discovered a new feature of the human caravans that come once a year.....they have extremely effective destructive capabilities.  observe.....

my fortress outside is mostly underground, the outside is just an obsidian perimeter with several bridges which i can open and close with a lever. (no moat)  heres a graphic of one of the walls:
         _____
        ll
        ll
   ___0
  l+++l       
  l+++l     
        ll
        ll_____

heres the story:
so its summer in the third year of my fort and im just minding my own business when i get the message that a goblin seige is coming. needless to say, i was quite happy as this is my first goblin siege (this is my first real fort) and i was prepared for them  ;D.  unfortunately one of my war dogs decided to go ahead and greet the vicitms goblins alone.(you can imagine how the rest of his day went) the next thing i know, i get the message that a human caravan has arrived (great timing right). looking on my map i see that the goblins are coming from the left and right and the humans are coming from the south, so i decide that im going to close all my bridges and the humans will just have to wait until i re-open them to get into my fort. so i pull the lever to close my bridges (blocking off my trade depot). needless to say.....the humans didnt like my plan, as it turns out, they are impatient.  so they station themselves outside my west bridge(before goblins got in range), so im thinking: "this is great, my marksdwarves can pick off the gobbys from the fortifications i built on the second floor and the human warriors can kill them from below." however the humans decided they wanted inside NOW. much to my surprise (because most buildings are pretty much indestrucatble) the humans decide to use their wagons as giant battering rams and smash my bridge to peices.  next thing i know, i see peices of wood and a mechanism come flying off my bridge into the surrounding area.  So im like: "THOSE SAVAGES JUST DEMOLISHED MY BRIDGE!!!"  (remember theres a goblin seige coming and my battle plan just got screwed) fortunately my 7 dwarf army was able to take out the 15 goblin invaders and a few of the victims goblins got stuck in my cage traps i have scattered around and i'll feed them to my fire imp later.  ;D 

the moral of this story is, if humans want to trade, dont get in their way......

i wonder what other kind of damage they can do.....comment if you know

Omegastick:
Wow, this should probably be in the general discussion section though. I never new that caravans could do that.

LoneJedi7:
yeah, it probably is in the wrong forum, sorry about that, im new and am just learning my way around.

[EDIT]: ah, i did put it in the wrong one, ill move it now. whoops....

Demonic Spoon:
I belive you can move the =thread yourself somehow.

o_O[WTFace]:
wow, I knew they ignored bridges when trying to find a way in but I didn't know they would just walk straight through one if they pathed when it was open.

I guess wagons are too big to be atom smashed, so any conflict with a bridge results in an explosion of mechanisms.  I wonder if they can do that with anything else...

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version