Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: In-game mod management  (Read 743 times)

Thanshin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
In-game mod management
« on: February 04, 2010, 05:06:47 am »

Correct me if I'm wrong, my experience with modding DF is not extense.

When using mods we usually have to replace files, which usually implies copying the game and modding the copy.

Then, if you want to try another mod and keep your two chances, you have to copy both the original and the previously modded version and apply the mod to both; leaving you with four copies of the game and many decisions about the correct priority when overwriting files.

I suggest adding a menu option that let's you select which mods to use (which folders to look for the files first) and in which order or priority.

Internally, the game could simply have a list of folder locations to read in the list's order (like a routing table). And mods could simply be a folder with the mod name and the needed files in their usual subfolders.

For example:

-DF
--data
---etc.
--raw
---graphics
---objects
--MODS
---myMod
----data
-----etc.
----raw
-----graphics
-----objects
---anotherMod
----raw
-----graphics
---thirdMod
----raw
-----graphics

Once you had copied the mods on your MODS folder, you could open the game and select in which order they are to be applied. For example:

1 anotherMod
2 DFBase
3 myMod
4 {thirdMod not used}

Thus, whenever the game is looking for a file it starts by trying to find it in "thirdMod", then "anotherMod", then on the base folders and then in "myMod".

This change would not only allow a much faster switch between mods but also complex interactions between them, as we could say things like:

- "Load this mod before 'Orcs' and 'meltyStones'"

- "You're loading DigDeeper first and then Mayday when you should be doing the opposite. And remove Orcs from your stack, it's included in DD".

- "This mod comes in two submods: MacrobeastsA and MacrobeastsB. For optimal display, load MacrobeastA asap and leave MacrobeastsB as the last loaded mod".

- "Use this mod with a lower priority than your main graphics mod".

kcwong

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: In-game mod management
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2010, 05:15:37 am »

Modding often involves editing the raws and init.txt also, and between mods they will have conflicting values and a mod manager must be able to handle it (by prompting user or following rules already set in a profile).

You can look at the mod managers for Morrowind and Oblivion for ideas.

Funk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2010, 07:03:11 am »

linking the save games to a diffent raw folder is a step you missed.
ands its
--raw/mod
---graphics
---objects
Agree, plus that's about the LAST thing *I* want to see from this kind of game - author spending valuable development time on useless graphics.

Unofficial slogan of Bay 12 Games.  

Death to the false emperor a warhammer40k SG

Thanshin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2010, 07:47:54 am »

linking the save games to a diffent raw folder is a step you missed.
True that. Each save should have to save the precise order of the mods it used on its creation and never allow it to change.

It's:
--raw/mod
---graphics
---objects

The suggestion is precisely to change that to the suggested organization. Which would allow installing an arbitrary number of mods and then chosing which ones to use and in which order they should be queried to work correctly.

Silverionmox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2010, 05:45:23 pm »

Modding often involves editing the raws and init.txt also, and between mods they will have conflicting values and a mod manager must be able to handle it (by prompting user or following rules already set in a profile).

You can look at the mod managers for Morrowind and Oblivion for ideas.
Europa Universalis has a decent one too.

One thing I'd like for modding would be a key to reload the graphics instantly. It's a bother when you are finetuning the graphics to save, quite, close, open, load the game again and again. Something similar could be done for the raw changes that don't affect the game deeply.
Dwarf Fortress cured my savescumming.