Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Noble mandates need to make more sense  (Read 924 times)

RPB

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://rapidshare.com/files/70864746/scardagger_winter_1059.zip.html
Noble mandates need to make more sense
« on: April 08, 2007, 12:43:00 pm »

I don't mind nobles too much but it's a bit annoying that it's mostly just random how easy or hard mandates are to fill. A noble that likes green glass will have very easy mandates to fill, but if you get a noble that likes star sapphires then within a few yeras they'll mandate more star sapphires than exist in the entire mountain. Nobles really need to take supplies into account when issuing mandates.

Gaulgath

• Bay Watcher
  • ♪ Gold gold gold gold ♪
    • View Profile
Re: Noble mandates need to make more sense
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2007, 01:54:00 pm »

I have also thought about this... perhaps making them making less selfish mandates based on only what they like, and mandating things that will actually better your fortress? Like mandating bone bolts and archery targets for your marksdwarves, or requesting an improvement for a dining hall.

4bh0r53n

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.phpbber.com/phpbb/index.php?c=1&mforum=abhorsengames
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2007, 03:38:00 pm »

I agree gaulgath
.B.H.O.R.S.E.N.: Abhorrent, Bloodthirsty, Hitchhiker-Obliterating Ravager from the Sunless Enchanted Necropolis

I dont explode Cats, its way to hard to coax them into the microwave...

schnobs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2007, 04:05:00 pm »

Sometimes actually madates work that way. Two of my nobles have a regular demand for Giant Axe Blades and Enourmous Corkscrews, respectively. I found myself placing weapon traps in many places where, well, where I wanted to build traps anyway. But with one thing driving out the other, I'm preoccupied with other stuff and forget about traps. However, these demands remind me. I like that.

But then there's the impossible demands. In that case, I'd like it if nobles themselves were answerable to someone. I mean, if someone has half the population beaten to pulp for not meeting outrageous madates, the other nobles *should* care.

OverrideB1

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Coffee-Drinker
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2007, 02:05:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by schnobs:
<STRONG> I mean, if someone has half the population beaten to pulp for not meeting outrageous madates, the other nobles *should* care.</STRONG>

In other words, Quisnam pango unus quisnam pango?*

* Who hammers the Hammerer?

By the Beards of my Ancestors: There are Elephants inside the fortress. Seems like a good time to lie down right in front of them and... go to sleep
---last words of Cog Ingishontak, legendary Craftsdwarf

Black Hound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2007, 05:41:00 pm »

Questioning the Hammerer is a Hammerable offense.

Heliopios

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2007, 05:43:00 pm »

Commonly followed by Hammering of the second degree,

Fieari

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2007, 07:38:00 pm »

If there was accountability, or if there was a system for more meaningful mandates, what would it look like?  How would it work?

Veroule

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2007, 02:19:00 am »

Didn't you know you are god in this game.  Nobles that behave in too silly a fashion tend to find themselves maneuvered into a nasty death.  I am actually planning on building every singles noble's bedroom with flooding abilities.  Let them feel my wroth.
"Please, spare us additional torture; and just euthanise yourselves."
Delivered by Tim Curry of Clue as a parody of the lead ass from American Idol in the show Psych.

herrbdog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2007, 10:27:00 am »

I just put a bed in the drowning chamber... you know, to drown caged enemies that just need to die, nobles, caravans... the like. Assign to that nasty noble (currently my Trade Minister likes too many rare gems, time to go to sleep...)

Silveron

• Bay Watcher
  • Arichect of Destruction
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2007, 12:00:00 pm »

Even that is far too much effort.

1) 3 x 7 room
2) 1 Lever opposite end from door
3) 3x6 raising bridge
4) Manager Noble

Now assign the offending noble as the only capable user of the lever. May take a second try but its easier than waiting for the noble to sleep. Will add picture when i get home tonight.

OverrideB1

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Coffee-Drinker
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2007, 12:14:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Silveron:
<STRONG>Even that is far too much effort.

1) 3 x 7 room
2) 1 Lever opposite end from door
3) 3x6 raising bridge
4) Manager Noble

Now assign the offending noble as the only capable user of the lever. May take a second try but its easier than waiting for the noble to sleep. Will add picture when i get home tonight.</STRONG>

LOL  :D

By the Beards of my Ancestors: There are Elephants inside the fortress. Seems like a good time to lie down right in front of them and... go to sleep
---last words of Cog Ingishontak, legendary Craftsdwarf