Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 34

Author Topic: Evolution Lite - The Returned [Turn 4]  (Read 27720 times)

webadict

• Bay Watcher
  • Former King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
Evolution Lite - The Returned [Turn 4]
« on: February 05, 2010, 10:09:22 am »

IMPORTANT RULE CHANGES: Currently, there are no Entities allowed in the game.

Because I am unfortunately unoriginal, I've decided to bring back an old-style game. It's called Evolution, but that one is ridiculously complex, so I've decided to use the Evolution Lite version. It was a good game, so hopefully he doesn't mind too much, especially since he abandoned the game and hasn't been on in 3 months.

So, I will pick up where he left off. I'll be accepting 6 Species and up to 11 Entities (Perhaps more later). The game will start when all 6 Species have been chosen and uploaded. There are no limits for your Species/Entity.

The rules are, as stolen:

Evolution Lite

A hopefully more streamlined version of the ongoing game Evolution.  This is not intended to replace the ongoing game but to go on alongside it as a way of testing out a different ruleset.  As with the original game, rules may change or be added as the game progresses (depending on whatever might be required).  The advantage of Evolution Lite is speed at the price of flexibility.

The chief difference between the two games is the division of playable forces into Species and Entities.  The Species players (of which there may be no more than six) control the evolutionary destiny of their chosen species.  They play the conventional game, accruing Evolution Points and spending the EP on increasing their species traits.  They also settle/colonise more of the map, engage in wars and gamble for additional EP by attempting specific actions.  Entity players (of which there may be an unlimited number) play powerful forces within the framework the Species players provide, operating within spheres of influence such as military, religious or economic means.  They can spur on species growth, stimulate war or lead armies on their own grounds and invest power in avatars to more directly steer the course of events.

Spoiler: The Species Game (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: The Entity Game (click to show/hide)

Like Iituem stated, these rules are not permanent, since there may come a time when systems break. But, we'll see how well it comes up.

The map, also stolen and fixed to not hold any of the old information, is in this spoiler.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

We have an actual, honest-to-goodness homemade map:
Spoiler: Map... So Beautiful... (click to show/hide)

There are 6 schools of Knowledge:
Primary Sphere - Population [Food]
Secondary Spheres - Military, Religious
Tertiary Spheres - Social, Economic, Academic

Unit Types:
Pop Units can now do all types of actions at +0 (Unless it's settling.)
Military Units are used to attack other players (Or scout, if used against land [Using +x for number of scouting actions that turn.]) They also defend against Military Units.
Religious Units are used to convert other Units, as well as protect against other Religious Units.
Social Units are used to merge other Unit actions (Combining Academic Unit actions from two or more different Hexes.) Rolls are against number of Units carried and the number of Hexes combined.
Economic Units are used to boost other Unit actions. Rolls are against the boost wanted (+x) and the number of Units the boost is for.
Academic Units are used to research Technology, rolled against +0.
NOTE: You do not need a greater or equal number of Units when rolling.

Food now acts on 4 Land Traits: Green, Blue, Brown, and Grey. All Land Types will have a base of 6 Max Pop Units, with an additional 1 for every 10 Points in the Food Trait.

Generation has a base of 1 for all Units (Created for Pop Units, Maximum amount for Non-Pop Units) and an additional 1 for every 10 Points in the Generation Trait.

Range now refers to the number of Hexes a Unit can move. All Units start with 1 Hex, with an additional 1 for every 10 Points in the Range Trait.

All Units have 1 Action per turn, with Moves being able to be used in between these Actions.

If you have 0 Pop Units in a Hex for more than 1 Turn, the Hex is lost, no matter how many other Units you have.

All Actions will not be combined. If you Research a Trait in two different Hexes with them being connected with Social Units, you will only gain the higher of the two rolls. Similar to Religious converting or attacking, the rolls will be rolled and then combined after both rolls, instead of using the combined effort.

The formula is like this:
Stealth - Units vs. Perception + Units
If the first is higher, then the difference is added to all other stats.
Units * (d20 + Action + Bonus) vs. Units * (d20 + Reaction) [There was an actual error in the previous program that didn't take Unit number while doing Action vs. Reaction.]
If the first is higher than the second, the action or whatever succeeds, and then checks the power of the action.
Units * (d4 + Power + Bonus) vs. Units * (d4 + Armor)
The following is the power of the action, where the difference determines the successfulness of the action.
Then, the formula is flipped to determine if any Units were lost.

That is the entire formula in a gist. Also, the second half of the formula uses the opponent's stats. In case it wasn't clear.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2010, 11:00:15 am by webadict »

webadict

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Evolution Lite - The Returned
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2010, 10:09:38 am »

This section is saved for Species. Each Species starts with 50 EP to burn on whatever your heart desires. An example has been given in the instructions. For any help, ask questions. I'll be glad to answer them.

Spoiler: Crysofura - Dwarmin (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Pythoses - Criptfiend (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Metroid - rickvoid (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Lintok - andrea (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Slimes - Cheddarius (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: February 07, 2010, 05:50:38 pm by webadict »

webadict

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2010, 10:09:58 am »

This section is saved for Entities. Each Entity starts with 10 points to invest in themselves. They must also choose a Sphere to be their Primary Sphere, which is where they gain influence. For any help, ask questions. I'll be glad to answer them.

« Last Edit: February 15, 2010, 05:08:18 pm by webadict »

Keita

• Bay Watcher
  • Easily Confused
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2010, 10:13:08 am »

Watching this, looks interesting.
Gravity is a government conspiracy to keep us down

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2010, 10:15:56 am »

keep a place for me, I want to create a specie. I was tempted to use the old one, but I don't want to cross breed 2 different worlds.

edit: and why is this in the mafia part of the forum games board? I think it would fit better in the general area.

webadict

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2010, 10:27:17 am »

keep a place for me, I want to create a specie. I was tempted to use the old one, but I don't want to cross breed 2 different worlds.

edit: and why is this in the mafia part of the forum games board? I think it would fit better in the general area.
That was my bad. I just noticed that and moved it.

Faden

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2010, 11:04:36 am »

How does an entity gain an influenced unit? Do you have to spend a point, or does a species player allow you to use a unit?

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
  • Where do we go from here?
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2010, 11:11:18 am »

Done.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2010, 12:00:39 pm by Dwarmin »
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

"The hats never coming off."

webadict

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2010, 11:12:07 am »

How does an entity gain an influenced unit? Do you have to spend a point, or does a species player allow you to use a unit?
Through actions. They basically convert units of their Sphere from Species. They aren't yours, but you have influence over them.

An Example is Yendor, God of Amulets, Monsters, and Dungeons. His Primary Sphere is Religion, because he's a God.

In his first turn, he tries to gain followers by making a Necklace and giving it to a Species in the same Hex. Assume he succeeds: He makes a Necklace of Yendor, granting the Species a Bonus to Religious Armour when the possess it. He also gives the Species Belief, a T1 Religious Generation Trait.

As soon as they have Religious Units, you'll be able to influence them. But, until then, you won't gain much Influence.

SingularByte

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2010, 11:37:32 am »

I'll join.

X'thrus

The X'thrus are intelligent forest-dwelling beetles which have a similar social structure to ants. They are far larger than other beetles (about the size of a house cat) and will do anything to defend their colonies.

Population
Action:  Invasive Species (T1, 5)
Reaction:  Eusocial (T1, 5)
Power:  -
Armour: -
Perception:  -
Stealth:  -
Range:  Flight (T1, 5)
Generation:  Queen (T2, 5: Eusocial, Eusocial II)

Military
Action:  Invasive Species II (T1, 7)
Reaction:  Hardiness (T2, 4: Sclerite)
Power:  Mandibles (T1, 6)
Armour:  Sclerite (Tough Shell) (T1, 8)
Range:  -
Generation: Eusocial II (T1, 5)

Have I done this correctly?

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
  • Where do we go from here?
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2010, 12:00:18 pm »

Crysofura

The Crysofura are a race of humanoid cephalopod, adapted to shallow water and limited land incursions. A visiting human would not hesitate to call them "Cthulhuesque", but they are not in fact overtly aggressive toward prospective neighbors. Then again, they have not really met anyone...A Crysofuran stands 5 feet on average, possesses 4 pairs of sucker tipped arms that can act like feet, manipulate objects, and grab and throttle prey...they only have a rudimentary set of lungs, and breed through mass egg dispersal-while barely 10% of their young might survive and return to the homelands, they view this as an essential part of their lifecycle. The ability to modify their skin pigments to match their surrounding environment is a vital tool.

Of note is the well developed water jets they possess on their sides, which allows them to speed through the ocean. Their skin is soft and flexible, and they have no bones save for a beak, which makes them an easy snack for predators-they have, over time shed their once solitary ways and begun to work together.

Amazingly, a rare few Crysofurans have learned to manipulate the water itself as a weapon and a tool. They call this skill Aquamancy.

Food
Grasping Arms (T1, 5)
Barbed Suckers (T1, 5)

Population
Action: Manipulating tentacles (T1, 5)
Reaction: Aquatic Engineering (T2, 5:Manipulating Tentacles, Mundane Aquamancy)
Power: Mundane Aquamancy (T1, 10)
Armour: Aquatic Adaptation (T1, 5)
Range:  Rudimentary Water Jets (T1, 5)
Generation: Egg Dispersal (T1, 5)

Military
Action: Hunting Pack (T2, 5:Grasping Arms, Barbed Suckers)
Reaction: -
Stealth: -
Generation:  -

Tell me if I need to fix anything!
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

"The hats never coming off."

webadict

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2010, 12:19:15 pm »

I'll join.

X'thrus
Population
Action:  Invasive Species (T1, 5)
Reaction:  Eusocial (T1, 5)
Range:  Flight (T1, 5)
Generation:  Queen (T1, 5)

Military
Action:  Invasive Species II (T1, 7)
Reaction:  Hardiness (T1, 4)
Power:  Mandibles (T1, 6)
Armour:  Sclerite (T1, 8)
Generation: Eusocial II (T1, 5)

Have I done this correctly?
I redid a few things in the quote, but basically yes.

You didn't need T2 traits for things that don't have T1 traits, unless you really, really want to, so I fixed it.

Crysofura
Food
Grasping Arms (T1, 5)
Barbed Suckers (T1, 5)

Population
Action: Manipulating tentacles (T1, 5)
Reaction: Aquatic Engineering (T1, 5)
Power: Mundane Aquamancy (T1, 10)
Armour: Aquatic Adaptation (T1, 5)
Range:  Rudimentary Water Jets (T1, 5)
Generation: Egg Dispersal (T1, 5)

Military
Action: Hunting Pack (T1, 5)
Reaction: -
Stealth: -
Generation:  -

Tell me if I need to fix anything!
Same thing. Just the change from T2 to T1. Otherwise, perfect.

Also, I'm going to assume your Food traits are for Blue Hexes.

webadict

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2010, 12:24:14 pm »

And for the Food Hex thing, I'm going to combine both of them into 1 T1, 10 Trait, since they would overlap otherwise.

Faden

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2010, 01:13:30 pm »

Issa, Goddess of Agriculture

The Goddess Issa often manifests as an enormous field-mouse, with grains in place of fur. She is very protective of her followers, and will attempt to defend them from invaders, but will not assist them in attacking others.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Fixed. :D
« Last Edit: February 05, 2010, 01:17:55 pm by Faden »

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 05, 2010, 01:44:33 pm »

The Pythoses

The Pythoses started out as a species of digging mammals with four legs on the ground and two much stronger ones pointing up to grab the roof of their tunnels and pull them selves along if needed. They have think plates of bonny plates along their back to protect them. They lived in a simply under ground hive structure, were most where the males and females are equal in number and strength. The tribes are usually democratic where the hole tribe makes the big choices. They have evolved basic psychic powers and all Pythoses are linked  enough to talk to each other.

Spheres:

Food: Gray Hex
Psychic Link III (T1, 10)
Mushroom Farm Building (T2, 10: Psychic Link III, Foraging, Hive Building)

Population
Action: Foraging (T1, 5)
Reaction: Hive Building (T1, 5)
Power:
Armour: Psychic Link (T1, 5)
Perception:
Stealth:
Range:
Generation: Live Birth (T1, 5)

Military
Action:
Reaction: Coordinated Defense (T1, 5)
Power:
Armour: Psychic Link II (T1, 5)
Perception:
Stealth:
Range:
Generation:

I was not sure if i was doing it right, but it should be good because it mostly a copy of the Longtongues.  :P

Also Issa sounds like my kind of god.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2010, 01:56:03 pm by Criptfeind »
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 34