Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: Why are crossbows so deadly?  (Read 19241 times)

Radivnal

• Bay Watcher
  • Don't make me fall on you...
    • View Profile
Re: Why are crossbows so deadly?
« Reply #15 on: February 05, 2010, 07:45:06 pm »

nah, they just pull back the drawstring with their hands.

I'm pretty sure crossbow operating was a lot more complicated than that, hence why they didn't really replace archers fully.

I'm pretty sure that warhammer651 was making the comment for that exact reason. He's saying in the world of dwarf physics, they just yank the bowstrings back and let loose death and hellfire.
Speaking of which, how is fire in the new version?
out of personal experience, where a dwarf was set alight by a magmaman, ran up 150 flights of stairs, and divebombed into the booze stockpile, I'd have to say fire is the same as always.

Karik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 05, 2010, 09:19:50 pm »

Uh I know crossbows were hard to crankback, I was just talking about dwarf fortress...I was joking :/ lol

Safe-Keeper

• Bay Watcher
  • "Situation normal; all ****ed up"
    • View Profile
    • FS Mod tester
« Reply #17 on: February 05, 2010, 11:51:31 pm »

Aren't crossbows going to be nerfed come the next version?
"Sieging humans brought some war polar bears, and one of them started a camp fire. Highly trained!" --Today One accidentally introduces the panserbjørn into Dwarf Fortress lore

Cheddarius

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 06, 2010, 12:19:01 am »

Crossbows are only referred to as crossbows for convenience. The actual weapon is a massive rack filled with crossbows and stacked full of bolts with an automatic reloader. Recruits run back and forth, using 5 limbs (arms, legs, and beard) to fire as fast as they can. Champions, on the other hand, tie all the crossbow strings to their beards and just laugh maniacally, head bobbing back and forth in vigorous guffawing, and blast hundreds of bolts at enemies at a time.

EDIT: This is also why one fully-grown tree = one crossbow.

The Architect

• Bay Watcher
  • Breeding supercows. What I've been doing on DF.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 06, 2010, 12:26:21 am »

The reasons why crossbows are currently so dangerous are pretty simple, and I think they've been well explained elsewhere.

All of this will change in the next version, including some obviously necessary overhauls like the relative strengths of wooden bolts and plate armor.
Dwarf Fortress: where blunders never cease.
The sigs topic:
Oh man, this is truly sigworthy...
Oh man. This is truly sig-worthy.

o_O[WTFace]

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 06, 2010, 01:53:16 am »

crossbows have a few issues, but basically its that a few haulers or goblin recuits with wooden crossbows and cat bone bolts can stand around mangling brains and sometimes punch right through steel plate and instakill things from half a screen away.   

The big one is the 2 critical boost (for the bolts) that you can't just go and decrease in the raws***.  Each attack gets to roll some dice or something for a chance at becoming a critical hit.  Critical boost 2 means that our little bolts get to try them again 2 extra times, which sounds like the reason they sometimes go and mangle 2 lungs and a heart at the same time.  There is alot more to it then that but only Toady really knows how all that under the hood stuff works.

Also, Submachinebows.  Lots of marksdwarves each shooting lots of bolts that each have lots of critical boost = (lots)^3 of dead stuff.  With agility and training crossbows users basically switch into full auto mode and just unload bolts for the second or two the ammo lasts. 

Also, Crossbows also have range and first strike and economic and strategic issues, which are hugely important for a dorf fortress.  Crossbows are cheap, reasonably effective even at low skill, exponentially effective in large numbers and with a champion or two in front nothing gets close enough to fight back.  Remember, goblin/etc life is cheap and plentiful, if a whole siege is slaughtered but they kill your armorsmith or farmer or that peasant everyone is friends with, then the goblins won that siege (or its a tie maybe). 

anyway I have been working on nerfing ranged weapons for the past few forts with surprisingly good results.

***creatures and their organs are highly moddable :) To nerf crossbows, I went into the raws and removed:
[circulatory] from hearts
[throat] or something like that from throats or necks or whatever
[nervous] from spine, brain, neck (spine+neck seem to be sparring/wrestling things, but taking nervous off of brain seems to drastically reduce bolt instakills)
[guts] from guts, although this doesn't seem to effect crossbows much, I think its a sword critical

And then added:
[sight] to brain, mostly as a backup but you could probly mod out eyes then since at this point all they do is get shot out anyway. 

And then you need to add at least two more lungs (by just copypasting the left and right lung and then naming them left lung 2, 3, etc) because individual bolts can take out 3 lungs at a time, and they often will because there isn't much else to hit anymore.  I have a woodcutter walking around who cancels his jobs and passes out every once and a while because he lost 3 of his 8 lungs, so its not perfect but he gets along fine and only has like 2 toughness anyway.  Now that I think about it, just giving dwarves and everything you fight [nobreathe] might work much better, but that has some side effects. 

« Last Edit: February 06, 2010, 05:14:27 am by o_O[WTFace] »
...likes Dwarf Fortresses for their terrifying features...

Kyronea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 06, 2010, 02:12:51 am »

I have a woodcutter walking around who cancels his jobs and passes out every once and a while because he lost 3 of his 8 lungs
Out of context sigging away!
I have a woodcutter walking around who cancels his jobs and passes out every once and a while because he lost 3 of his 8 lungs

Neyvn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 06, 2010, 02:56:44 am »

I think people are forgetting how fast a single day is in DF mode...
I if you watch closely you can see that they fire at least 4 or so bolts a day at raw recruit. This in the truth of things is actually unrealistic, they should be able to fire more. So in the end, its only like a Machine Gun when you play DF mode...
Quote from: Ubiq
Broker: Wasn't there an ambush squad here just a second ago?
Merchant: I don't know what you're talking about. Do you want this goblin ankle bone amulet or not?
My LIVESTREAM. I'm Aussie, so not everything is clean. Least it works...

Desiderium

• Bay Watcher
  • [SELECT_SYMBOL:UNTOWARD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 06, 2010, 03:18:26 am »

Crossbows are only referred to as crossbows for convenience. The actual weapon is a massive rack filled with crossbows and stacked full of bolts with an automatic reloader. Recruits run back and forth, using 5 limbs (arms, legs, and beard) to fire as fast as they can. Champions, on the other hand, tie all the crossbow strings to their beards and just laugh maniacally, head bobbing back and forth in vigorous guffawing, and blast hundreds of bolts at enemies at a time.

EDIT: This is also why one fully-grown tree = one crossbow.

Wow, I lol'd hard.

Urist McWounded has created a microcline bucket, on the bucket is an image of Urist, Urist is surrounded by the dwarves, Urist is wasting away, The dwarves are working, The bucket is empty.  On the bucket is an image of Urists third finger in dwarf bone.

CobaltKobold

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼HOOD☼ ☼ROBE☼ ☼DAGGER☼ [TAIL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 06, 2010, 04:18:42 am »

(multiple)First strike capability, no known disadvantages to fire rate vs other weapons, and critbonus.

It's like asking who'll win in tic-tac-toe when giving one person the first two moves.
Neither whole, nor broken. Interpreting this post is left as an exercise for the reader.
OCEANCLIFF seeding, high z-var(40d)
Tilesets

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 06, 2010, 05:08:06 am »

IIRC...attack speed and movement speed are tied together.  It's the reason dogs can't keep up with dwarves, so they don't get craploads of attacks like dwarves with high AGI. So it's probably true for shooting crossbows too.

So it probably should be lower, it just doesn't work out that way with how stats play out in combat.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

yuriatayde

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 06, 2010, 06:25:12 am »

I ignore the ingame days thing because then you could argue that dwarves don't eat as much as they should etc, instead I rate it based on movement. My newbie archer can get at least 4 bolts off before the enemy reaches him, between the moment he enters range, with no obsticals preventing a straight sprint at the archer. With crossbows, even light crossbows that are reloaded entirely by hand, that's just simply unrealistic. An expert might be able to pull that off, maybe...

However, I will also say that I like how overpowered they are. Nerf? That's fine, but I see the crossbow as sort of the first big step to making melee combat obsolete, so a little argument like "why bother with swords if-" shouldn't hold anything back.

shadow_archmagi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 06, 2010, 07:18:05 am »

I see the crossbow as sort of the first big step to making melee combat obsolete, so a little argument like "why bother with swords if-" shouldn't hold anything back.

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/FantasyGunControl
invention is every dwarf's middle name
that means that somewhere out there theres a dwarf named Urist Invention Mcinvention.

random51

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 06, 2010, 08:40:09 am »

Seems like there might be something with evade too. Champion dwarfs in good armor/shield  don't even seem to get hit in melee but give one goblin a crossbow and he has no problem hitting your guys. This actually makes sense in reality but not sure it does when trying to have fun.

Is that evade or does the game roll for crit before calculating evade, thus nullifying their evade skill?

darkrider2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 06, 2010, 09:19:07 am »

Question: shouldn't dwarves or even your enemies be able to use their shields to stop bolts and arrows from penetrating the incredibly small hitbox that is their vital organs.

It seems right now that shields do nothing against arrows and bolts. It behaves more like a paper thin bulls-eye.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4