Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 310

Author Topic: Mount and Blade  (Read 633349 times)

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Mount and Blade
« Reply #15 on: February 05, 2010, 07:12:40 pm »

I'd edit that post.  Plus, unofficially we don't condone such things.  Don't do it on Bay12, don't rock our boat.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

Firgof Umbra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 11, 2010, 10:59:01 pm »

Steam's having a big sale on Mount & Blade right now (80% discount: $4.99 USD)

If you're on the fence, this is a good time to check the game out before Warband hits.

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 12, 2010, 12:48:48 am »

Nnnggg, it's rather tempting.... I just wish I knew if Warband is going to be a whole separate thing I'd have to buy... Hmmmm...

EDIT: I forgot to ask, what's the link to that polished landscapes mod?
« Last Edit: February 12, 2010, 12:52:28 am by OzyTheSage »

Farce

• Bay Watcher
  • muttermutterbabble
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 12, 2010, 01:07:46 am »

Google auto-completed a search for that for me.

http://forums.taleworlds.com/index.php?topic=87617.75 - should be it.  Apparently a test version lacking tree collision, but it was at the top of the forum list, so I think it's recent.

Also, if you're debating whether or not getting this, they offer a demo.  ...I kind of just skimmed this thread, so I'm not sure if anyone mentioned that.

We are offering Mount&Blade through a try before you buy model. You can download the game and start playing right away. What you download is not a demo, it is the full game. There is, however, a level limit at 7. When your character reaches level 7, you can start a new game or, if you decide you like the game well enough, go on and buy a license online. As soon as you buy a license you will obtain a serial key which will remove the level limit. You will not need to download the game again.

~ http://www.taleworlds.com/

KaelGotDwarves

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:FIRE_ELF]
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 12, 2010, 01:10:01 am »

http://forums.taleworlds.com/index.php?topic=76706.0
The official forum thread.

Also, Warband is indeed a separate expansion you will need to buy.

Cheddarius

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 12, 2010, 01:20:37 am »

I found Mount & Blade incredibly difficult. So much that the tutorial frustrated me. I think it was the swords on cavalry part. I just failed at hitting the scarecrow things with them.

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 12, 2010, 01:25:09 am »

Google auto-completed a search for that for me.

http://forums.taleworlds.com/index.php?topic=87617.75 - should be it.  Apparently a test version lacking tree collision, but it was at the top of the forum list, so I think it's recent.
I had found the no tree-collision version on M&B repository, but figured that since it was a test version it meant there was a newer release I couldn't find. Guess I was wrong.

Also, Warband is indeed a separate expansion you will need to buy.
That answers my question then. I'm just going to skip buying M&B and get M&B Warband.

Ioric Kittencuddler

• Bay Watcher
  • Multiclass Bard/Kitten trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 12, 2010, 01:43:41 am »

I eagerly anticipate the release of the Middle Earth: Forever Mod!
Come see the MOST interesting Twitter account on the internet!  Mine!

Don't worry!  Be happy!  It's the law!

chaoticag

• Bay Watcher
  • All Natural Pengbean
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 12, 2010, 04:02:03 am »

Mount & Blade on steam for $5.

Huesoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Like yeah dude
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 12, 2010, 11:18:33 am »

I bought it got to 17 and then I had to do a system restore :(
BOTTLED MESSAGE BE AFLOAT

Morsigil

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 12, 2010, 02:49:56 pm »

I found Mount & Blade incredibly difficult. So much that the tutorial frustrated me. I think it was the swords on cavalry part. I just failed at hitting the scarecrow things with them.

To be honest, I skipped the tutorial when I played the demo and went straight into a battle. It's difficult to learn but relatively easy to master, at least for me.

I love Mount and Blade to death. My main character is level 39 and leads an army of 160-170. The funny thing is that I have heard people say the only way to support an army this size is to raid villages, but I have not found this to be the case. With a large city and two villages, occasional trading, a tournaments, I easily suppport over 400 troops (approximately 165ish, as stated above, with me at any given moment). Rivacheg alone pays me something like 2500 weekly, which more than pays for the elite troops that protect it.

They do go through food like nobody's business though. You have to have lots of inventory management to field an army this size

Man, I don't know who wrote the wiki, but they have no idea what they're talking about. They talk about Rhodoks having the highest HP, which might be true if they do indeed have higher Iron Flesh, but at most we're talking 3 to 4 hit points out of 50+. That's negligible at best, especially considering that they use spears, which do just about 0 damage at close range against heavily armored troops (i.e. any elite troop or named NPC). The only thing Rhodoks are good for is their crossbowmen.

Further, their info about the Nords is -completely- wrong. He says Nords are incredibly powerful melee fighters, with shields that "make archers useless", yet he says Rhodoks are better siegers because they have more HP?

What he doesn't realize is that Nord Huskarls have like 4 more points of power attack than even the most elite Rhodok infantry, which means they do 40% more damage. I'm sorry, I would not trade 40% more damage, higher strength (meaning even more damage), higher athletics, and axes/swords as weapons for 3-5 HP, marginally better armor, and spears (which are absolutely, 100% useless in melee combat outside of attacking cavalry, or attack from horse-back).

He says their weakness is open field combat, but who takes infantry into the field against cavalry, unless they have to?
« Last Edit: February 12, 2010, 03:15:35 pm by Morsigil »

beorn080

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 12, 2010, 03:36:14 pm »

Khergits. No, not the greatest for sieging, but dear god in the open field a mixed force of highest lancers and archers is pretty much unstoppable.

Also, does anyone else find themselves using the jousting lance over other polearms to get prisoners easily?
Ustxu Iceraped the Frigid Crystal of Slaughter was a glacier titan. It was the only one of its kind. A gigantic feathered carp composed of crystal glass. It has five mouths full of treacherous teeth, enormous clear wings, and ferocious blue eyes. Beware its icy breath! Ustxu was associated with oceans, glaciers, boats, and murder.

kalida99

• Bay Watcher
  • ಠ_ರೃ
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 12, 2010, 04:17:32 pm »

Rhodoks suck at nearly everything, plain and simple, their spears restrict any power they may have had against normal infantry and places it all in Anti-calvary, which they suck at if they're fighting the all cavalry force of the Khergits. Their crossbowmen are nothing compared to the Vaegir archers, and their mounts are destroyed by the might of the Swadians Knights. I literally destroyed the entire Rhodok empire using a force of 60 Nord Huscarls, 20 Vaegir archers, and 20 Swadian knights only losing about 30 troops that were easily replaced with my reserves. Hell i showed the Rhodoks the might of the Nords by taking well over 100 prisoners and selling them to slavery, or bribing them into my army, only to have them guard the captured cities. I don't see how they get that 2-3 HP makes a difference when the average elite trooper can hit 25+.

As for taking prisoners i find it more fun to get off my charger and take them down 1 by 1 with a quarterstaff to the head.
Let's see how those degenerate sophisticates handle a healthy dose of pure unreasoning violence.
— Commander Fleyitch

beorn080

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 12, 2010, 04:32:17 pm »

Massed Rhodok Crossbowmen are pretty good, if only cause they are IIRC not totally useless in melee. However, they are definitely a wierd nation.
Ustxu Iceraped the Frigid Crystal of Slaughter was a glacier titan. It was the only one of its kind. A gigantic feathered carp composed of crystal glass. It has five mouths full of treacherous teeth, enormous clear wings, and ferocious blue eyes. Beware its icy breath! Ustxu was associated with oceans, glaciers, boats, and murder.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 12, 2010, 05:59:05 pm »

I've never found ranged combat, either bows or crossbows, to be of any worth at all.  Maybe it's just the AI being retarded, or that I only recently got the battlesizer thing to crank up the on-field numbers, but for me, every battle is just rushing forward with cavalry, disrupting the enemy force for a minute, then my melee infantry show up, and it's a big fucking man-to-man-slaughter while I wheel back and forth harberding distracted enemies in the neck and getting shot with arrows myself.

I don't have any particular affinity for each Kingdom, but I've had the most success with the Vaegirs.  Not really for their own traits, but just because their area isn't as bad about newb-rape as everywhere else because you only meet Looters and Bandits.  I always have a mix of Khergits, Swadians, and Nords anyway.  I also don't bother keeping any kind of set progression or clean numbers of troops.  Every army of mine has dozens of troop types, with no more than about five of each.

I haven't played it in a while, but the best I got was when I went on campaign with the King through Nord territory, and after helping defeat a castle and sack a couple towns, I was rewarded with my own Lordship.  Of one of the recently converted Nord villages that we burned to the ground.  Dick.  But I did my best to bootstrap it to prosperity all the same, or would have if I knew how the economy is supposed to work.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 310