Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 310

Author Topic: Mount and Blade  (Read 629128 times)

Morsigil

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Mount and Blade
« Reply #30 on: February 12, 2010, 07:20:43 pm »

I've never found ranged combat, either bows or crossbows, to be of any worth at all.

But I did my best to bootstrap it to prosperity all the same, or would have if I knew how the economy is supposed to work.

A capable archer can pick other archers from walls, which can be important when you're playing with full damage scaling, and a mounted archer with the appropriate skills can decimate armies while being unscathed themselves.

That being said, I went with throwing because I love one-shotting dudes in the head with my throwing axes. =P It doesn't happen often though, since throwing axes are short range and fly weird. Definitely not the preeminent ranged weapon.

Boosting the economy of your town is as simple as doing it's quests. There is some bug with the Mill in that it doesn't work, I believe, but I would read up on that rather than take my word.

Rhodoks suck at nearly everything, plain and simple, their spears restrict any power they may have had against normal infantry and places it all in Anti-calvary, which they suck at if they're fighting the all cavalry force of the Khergits. Their crossbowmen are nothing compared to the Vaegir archers, and their mounts are destroyed by the might of the Swadians Knights. I literally destroyed the entire Rhodok empire using a force of 60 Nord Huscarls, 20 Vaegir archers, and 20 Swadian knights only losing about 30 troops that were easily replaced with my reserves. Hell i showed the Rhodoks the might of the Nords by taking well over 100 prisoners and selling them to slavery, or bribing them into my army, only to have them guard the captured cities. I don't see how they get that 2-3 HP makes a difference when the average elite trooper can hit 25+.

As for taking prisoners i find it more fun to get off my charger and take them down 1 by 1 with a quarterstaff to the head.

This is interesting. I always thought Vaegir archers were only slightly better than Nord archers and worse than Rhodok Sharpshooters, but I guess I thought wrong. Now that I think about it. Sieging the Vaegirs has been particularly annoying recently due to their fast firing ways. Plus, they get two-handed weapons most of the time, so they're not useless on the battlements after they're out of arrows.

These days I carry around a complement of Swadian Knights, Khergit Vet Horse Archers, and Huscarls. That being side, the Huscarls rarely see battle outside of sieges since I mainly carry them around to train them via the skill.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 12, 2010, 07:40:39 pm »

I've never found ranged combat, either bows or crossbows, to be of any worth at all.

A capable archer can pick other archers from walls, which can be important when you're playing with full damage scaling, and a mounted archer with the appropriate skills can decimate armies while being unscathed themselves.

That being said, I went with throwing because I love one-shotting dudes in the head with my throwing axes. =P It doesn't happen often though, since throwing axes are short range and fly weird. Definitely not the preeminent ranged weapon.

If you mean archery being useful for the player, yes absolutely.  I get plenty of use out of bows in sieges and mounted combat (except when chasing people).  Throwing is damn hard because of the short ranges and arcing, but I've found throwing spears a bit more reliable because of their size.

What I meant by ranged combat being useless is in my army.  I've tried whole forces and all sort of mixes of archers and crossbowmen, and all I've found is that they take up space better used for heavy melee infantry.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

sonerohi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 12, 2010, 07:50:45 pm »

Man, I wish I could find this old Rome mod.  It made everything in a transition from bronze age to iron age, and it ramped up the realism on archery. Stronger bows were armor piercing, straight line of fire sort of things, but it added another meter above health that represented combat fatigue. It restored very rapidly, so that you might have to skip over 1 out of 10 strikes to block or retreat and recover it. It also limited you to 4 or 5 shots in a burst, a bit of a wait, and then another group. It was epic watching my phalanx advance through some pretty intense archer fire with the front row almost losing their shields, only to have their archers break off and let their phalanx in to engage mine. I got em back though by sending my cavalry around to hit the archers from behind while they were setting up another firing line.
I picked up the stone and carved my name into the wind.

kalida99

• Bay Watcher
  • ಠ_ರೃ
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 12, 2010, 07:55:54 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Heres how it plays out:
Nords: Best Infantry
Vaegirs: Best Archers
Swadians: Best Heavy Cavalry
Rhodoks: Best Anti-Cavalry (though they still can't kill me  ;D)
Khergit: Best Cavalry

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

It's true, player archery is beast (i can headshot from a good distance and kill a good 5-20 people if i'm lucky). Throwing, and archery, are like mounted combat hard at first but when you get the hold of it, it is devastating; An army of archers (100+) can destroy most units before they get halfway across the field, excluding Nord huscarls (BA shields), Swadian knights (to fast), the Khergits (to fast), and low rank Rhodok units (still have those huge shields :o).

Nothing yells PISS louder than an arrow through the head 3 seconds into a fight :D
Let's see how those degenerate sophisticates handle a healthy dose of pure unreasoning violence.
— Commander Fleyitch

KaelGotDwarves

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:FIRE_ELF]
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 12, 2010, 08:06:33 pm »

Khergits!!!!!!!!!!!!

Want a good rage, start in khergit territory where all the bandits have horses, and mounted archers.

I think you're talking about the hegemony mod, which I'm not sure has been ported to the current version (posting from phone)

I've gotten to the point in the game where riding down every moron with my lance from a horse in heavy armor is boring, and even on hardest difficulty with 1/1 damage the only thing that can take you down is several unlucky arrows (to the face).

So I gimp myself and wear light armor and like being a swiftfooted general and roll with my Nord bros on the ground with a huge shield and axe.

Rakonas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 13, 2010, 01:43:08 am »

Personally I go with Nords, as a company of nord huscarls can actually march as fast as some cavalry if they're high enough level. Also, they're simply awesome axe throwing axe striking arrow blocking bastards.
The one mod that I enjoy is the China mod with Nationalists v. Communists v. Japanese.
It somehow manages to add guns in such a way that I've never seen in another mod, making it amazingly fun and refreshing. I think I should spend some time and go back to the game, but will probably just wait for warband anyway..

kalida99

• Bay Watcher
  • ಠ_ರೃ
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 13, 2010, 01:59:54 am »

Personally I go with Nords, as a company of nord huscarls can actually march as fast as some cavalry if they're high enough level. Also, they're simply awesome axe throwing axe striking arrow blocking bastards.
The one mod that I enjoy is the China mod with Nationalists v. Communists v. Japanese.
It somehow manages to add guns in such a way that I've never seen in another mod, making it amazingly fun and refreshing. I think I should spend some time and go back to the game, but will probably just wait for warband anyway..

I am also a Nord Hooray  ;D

Aside from that, i have that mod, it's one of the many that are working on bringing firearms to Mount & Blade, There's alot of WW2 ones in the making right now, like Festung Breslau (And i think they're working on tanks, i know the guys with the china one are working on artillery and planes). Aside from the awesome, machine guns are ridiculous OP you can kill literally 100+ people before you run out of ammo, usually like 10 in a single burst...
Let's see how those degenerate sophisticates handle a healthy dose of pure unreasoning violence.
— Commander Fleyitch

Farce

• Bay Watcher
  • muttermutterbabble
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 13, 2010, 02:24:08 am »

Wait, they have actual working machine guns?  All the ones I ever saw were just single fire rifles with crap accuracy and lots of ammo.

I've tried one of the China/Japan WWII mods.  River pirate analogues got pistols, IIRC, which is kinda dangerous.

Also my last guy was a horse archer type, it was fun.  I'm a piss poor shot, but it's a lotta fun riding out of infantry range forever while taking potshots at them.  I can't do long range at all, either, so... err yeah, terrible archer.

I've wanted to play as an infantryman for a while, but every time I try I end up never getting off my horse.  It adds a large deal to my survivability.  Also being slow as hell is kind of lame.

dogstile

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 14, 2010, 08:34:34 am »

I'm playing with it at the moment. I've found that I can't be directly in a big battle because of lag but I can ride ahead and slaughter a few of them before my army catch's up, when I just chase down any horse's.
my champion is now holding his artifact crossbow by his upper left leg and still shooting with is just fine despite having no hands.
What? He's firing from the hip.

Ioric Kittencuddler

• Bay Watcher
  • Multiclass Bard/Kitten trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 14, 2010, 07:22:33 pm »

Horse's what? ;D
Come see the MOST interesting Twitter account on the internet!  Mine!

Don't worry!  Be happy!  It's the law!

beorn080

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 14, 2010, 09:03:33 pm »

I find the starwars mod to be fairly fun, even though it has potential balance issues, such as force kill, if you don't limit yourself.

If you haven't played it, force kill is a "melee" weapon that kills everyone who is about a yard or two away from you, and can be swung as fast as a melee weapon. So yeah, you can easily one man castle sieges with that.

But you got three sides, rebels, imperials, and the hutts, though the rebels and imperials play similar to each other. But what you also get are large numbers of non aligned folk, a fairly good selection of the various aliens, plus IG droids which are worth their costs. Good fun, specially with rocket launchers.
Ustxu Iceraped the Frigid Crystal of Slaughter was a glacier titan. It was the only one of its kind. A gigantic feathered carp composed of crystal glass. It has five mouths full of treacherous teeth, enormous clear wings, and ferocious blue eyes. Beware its icy breath! Ustxu was associated with oceans, glaciers, boats, and murder.

dogstile

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 14, 2010, 11:00:31 pm »

Horse's what? ;D

You know, the things people ride?

I chase down and mercilessly slaughter the ones without riders while the two armys are fighting. It lags if i get directly involved in a big battle.
my champion is now holding his artifact crossbow by his upper left leg and still shooting with is just fine despite having no hands.
What? He's firing from the hip.

Soulwynd

• Bay Watcher
  • -_-
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 14, 2010, 11:02:43 pm »

Starwars is pretty good. I play a few mods, actually.

In order of awesomeness:
-1866- Cowboys, outlaws, mexicans? Best mod ever.
-Sword of Damocles- If you want to rule the world yourself. Empire management is great here.
-Star Wars- Lightsabers, being able to smack yoda around, what else do you need? =p
-Wedding Dance- Naked people, marriage, duels, storyline with siblings, drama, and conquest.
-Blood- Werewolf, vampires, crazy fun.

Actually, I think the wedding dance should be up top with 1866, but it resembles native a lot in certain aspects, so it lacks a few bits and parts from other mods to be a bit more enjoyable.

Zai

• Bay Watcher
  • Elmo? Is that a SIMPLE UTENSIL?
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 14, 2010, 11:47:06 pm »

So I played the demo for about an hour and liked it. Went to minimal video settings because it lagged sometimes. Riding around on a horse solo, fighting a band of 9 looters, and defeating them with little damage taken on my part was rather enjoyable.

So I gave in and bought it for $5 tonight.
DEATH has been waiting for you. He has poured you some TEA.

Ioric Kittencuddler

• Bay Watcher
  • Multiclass Bard/Kitten trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 15, 2010, 12:41:29 am »

It's definitely worth $5.
Come see the MOST interesting Twitter account on the internet!  Mine!

Don't worry!  Be happy!  It's the law!
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 310