Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 12

Author Topic: CCS now under development  (Read 32047 times)

LordBucket

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
CCS now under development
« on: February 06, 2010, 08:58:42 pm »

Current Status March 21, 2010
On hold pending a bug fix.

There have been some major conceptual changes, and the game we're going to end up with is going to have highly customizable issues and gameplay. Consequently, while it will certainly be possible to play as the Conservative Crime Squad fighting against liberals, it will be equally possible to play as liberals against conservatives, feminazis against men, religious fundamentalists against everybody, etc. Consequently, "CCS" is no longer a really appropriate name for the game, but a new name has not been decided upon just yet.

The increased scope of the game means more work before it's playable, so as of right now I anticipate we're probably a couple weeks away from any kind of playable alpha.

Notable posts within the thread:
Jump to announcement of customizable issues
Jump to more or less the beginning of several pages of arguing over issues
Jump to the announcement that work on CCS would actually commence

--------------------------------------------------

Work begins announcement February 09, 2010,
Thanks for the encouragement everyone. I've started work on CCS, and hopefully in a week or so we'll have something far enough along to take a look at. I'll give status updates in this thread from time to time.

--------------------------------------------------

Original Post: February 06, 2010
Question for Jonathan Fox personally, and for the community in general:

Community: There's obviously a lot of discussion about Conservative Crime Squad. How much interest is there is someone actually sitting down and making it? Keep in mind that as seen in the CCS thread there's not likely to be any consensus on how to make it, what issues, gameplay, etc. Some people want it to be comical, others want it to be dark, nobody agrees on issues, etc. Realizing that it's unlikely for there to be a CCS that everyone will be happy with, would you rather than somebody sat down and made a game according to their own preferences, or would you prefer to wait on community consensus and Jonathan to make it personally?

Jonathan: Would you be ok with someone stealing the CCS idea and making their own game? It would use no code from LCS, but somebody other than you making it would mean a loss of control of the idea. Would you be comfortable with this, or would you prefer to keep it to bay12games?

I'm not promising anything, but if there's interest, I'm toying with the idea of making a CCS using the T-engine. So far as I can tell from glancing through the thread, nobody's actually started any work on the idea, and personally I'd rather there be a game than not be a game.

Thoughts?

Jonathan S. Fox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.jonathansfox.com/
Re: What if someone volunteered to make CCS?
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2010, 12:06:48 am »

I'm not going to make CCS, so I don't have any problems with someone else doing so.

Necaladun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2010, 12:23:58 am »

Playing the game would be great :)
Take a stab at it and I'm sure we'll get entertainment from it. I'm pro-entertainment.

Perhaps you should address the issues to the individuals, however. Community is two letters away from Communism.

Jonathan S. Fox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.jonathansfox.com/
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2010, 12:50:37 am »

Perhaps you should address the issues to the individuals, however. Community is two letters away from Communism.

This is the correct attitude!

Servant Corps

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2010, 01:09:40 pm »

Yeah, eventually, somebody just have to stop listening the community, take action, and create the CCS game by himself. For that is the Conservative Way.
I have left Bay12Games to pursue a life of non-Bay12Games. If you need to talk to me, please email at me at igorhorst at gmail dot com.

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2010, 03:24:31 pm »

Great things can only be done by action, not debate.

Look how the LCS turned out!  (Applies to Liberal depiction of Good Ending only.)
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

Duuvian

• Bay Watcher
  • Internet ≠ Real Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2010, 06:26:44 pm »

You should charge for CCS, so it's geared more towards the wealthy.
FINISHED original composition:
https://app.box.com/s/jq526ppvri67astrc23bwvgrkxaicedj

Sort of finished and awaiting remix due to loss of most recent song file before addition of drums:
https://www.box.com/s/s3oba05kh8mfi3sorjm0 <-zguit

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2010, 08:51:38 am »

Remember to make it funducational!

(funstructive?)

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2010, 09:10:31 am »

Just rememember that the CCS is not LCS excep with Conservatives.

They have different leeways and abilities as well as different barriers to their successs.

Glacies

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2010, 02:16:02 pm »

I approve. Do it. However you want to.

HAMMERMILL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2010, 07:38:18 pm »

Remember to make it funducational!

(funstructive?)

I rofled.

fundamentalist+instructional, ect.

LordBucket

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2010, 11:24:01 pm »

Looks like I'm getting a big positive response here. I've gone ahead and started work on it. If you guys don't hear from me in week, start asking for updates. Zombie Horror took me 6 days from start to finish, so a week should be enough time to come up with something worth looking at.

Neonivek
Just rememember that the CCS is not LCS excep with Conservatives.

Yes, definitely. There will be a lot more going on that just name and issue changes. T-engine gives me a roguelike map to work with, so that right there will make a big gameplay difference. I think I'll also be changing the way issues change a bit, and probably not restricting myself to a real-world US model of government. I'd like gameplay to be something that people see through to the end rather than needing to put it on autopilot for decades.

As to general differences between the gameplay of liberal vs. conservative squads, the first thing that comes to mind is that the entire seduction model simply doesn't work. Conservatives need to be uptight about sex, so it doesn't make sense for them to run around sleeping with everyone. And since the game will start in an Arch Liberal society, there will be no guns at all.

In general, I'm planning on making both Arch Liberal and Arch Conservative laws lean into the direction of ridiculous, and leave the middle ground for moderate levels. For example, here's what I have for research laws:

L++   Research testing is forbidden. Cosmetics and pharmecueticals are dispensed directly to the public.
 L+   Experimental research may be performed on human volunteers
 M   Research is conducted on laboratory animals within humanitarian guidelines
 C+   There are few restrictions on animal research.
 C++   Subhuman mutants have been bio-engineered as a race of fallow test subjects.

That sort of arrangement avoids most of the arguments going on in the previous CCS thread. I get the impression that a lot of people in that thread personally identify with either group...think of themselves as a liberal, or a conservative, and so they're tending to design issues around their personal preference. Here, my goal is to make both extremes ridiculous.

Anyway, thanks for the encouragement all. I'm off to do some coding. Please feel free to talk and speculate all you want in the thread. Like any game programmer, seeing public interest will help me to stay interested.

winner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: CCS now under development
« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2010, 12:17:38 am »

Whoo Hoo  :D
added this thread to my watchlist
« Last Edit: February 10, 2010, 12:31:24 am by winner »
The great game of Warlocks!

garfield751

• Bay Watcher
  • Aaauuugggghhhh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2010, 01:26:11 am »

C++   Subhuman mutants have been bio-engineered as a race of fallow test subjects.

I sense theres going to be alot of FEV when this game comes out.

http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/Forced_Evolutionary_Virus

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
Re: CCS now under development
« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2010, 05:36:00 am »

Zombie horror? Mind if you show it please? :)
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 12