Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: This question is fundamental to a grand, grand plan, I swear  (Read 8532 times)

Rat Of Wisdom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: This question is fundamental to a grand, grand plan, I swear
« Reply #15 on: February 09, 2010, 07:08:57 pm »

But... electricity isn't implemented.

(aside from the slightly minor detail that electricity hasn't been implemented yet)

::)

No seriously. It's always been a "because I can" sort of thing, which is pretty much the spirit of the game, and besides, more or less everything else has been done, and railguns are some of the dwarfiest things known to mankind...
Evidently, Dorf Philosopher Uristmedes only figured out the Uristmedes screw. And he ran around naked and covered in water, blood, and vomit all the time, so any discoveries made in his 4/7 bathtub went unnoticed by dorf science.

Cheddarius

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 09, 2010, 07:10:14 pm »

Ah.

Rat Of Wisdom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 09, 2010, 07:14:22 pm »

Which is also why I'm not especially concerned with making it particularly realistic. It's not at the level of the nuclear reactor mockup (with the graphite and the beryl windows and the pitchblende and the SCRAM hatches and shit like that, I forget who exactly posted it but it was pretty damn cool) but it looks cool and it sounds cool and it's got a high OMG IT SPINS factor, and it's a damn railgun come on.
Evidently, Dorf Philosopher Uristmedes only figured out the Uristmedes screw. And he ran around naked and covered in water, blood, and vomit all the time, so any discoveries made in his 4/7 bathtub went unnoticed by dorf science.

darthbob88

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 09, 2010, 07:43:01 pm »

And I need a name for it, of course.
Fist and Hammer of Armok are classics, of course, as is Excalibur. Lightningstrike or Thunderstrike are appropriate to the fact that it's a damned railgun, and any of the variations on Goblin Extermination Inc are moderately intelligent and demeaning to the enemy. Pride or Spirit of Boatshoots are always good names to use, especially if you name it after a previous fortress conquered by goblins or tantrums. Urist, or some other personal name, is always good; name it after your king/queen, or a noteworthy dwarf in your fortress.

Rat Of Wisdom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 09, 2010, 08:28:44 pm »

I was considering Armok's Bolt actually ;D I reckon I'll troll the language file for something appropriate, and then name it in the fashion of that epic sky-fortress.

And of course my next fortress is going to be a mech that sports this bastard as its primary weapon.

Odd!x

• Bay Watcher
  • Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 10, 2010, 01:26:25 pm »

how about a traditional dwarven name for an inanimate object; the parched expedition of sliding?

seriously though, name it Uristemedes' Fair and Logical Argument
We are who we are, depending on who we were.

Rat Of Wisdom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 10, 2010, 02:08:19 pm »

I'd do that, but I don't think dwarves have words for "fair" or "logical".

Shrike

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 10, 2010, 02:33:52 pm »

There are. It's just that the CULTURAL meaning is a bit skewed.

It's logical to kill your own people with magma as long as it makes stuff happen, you can always get more dwarves.

jayseesee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 10, 2010, 06:08:46 pm »

sigged.  Had to be.

Rat Of Wisdom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 10, 2010, 06:37:02 pm »

There are. It's just that the CULTURAL meaning is a bit skewed.

It's logical to kill your own people with magma as long as it makes stuff happen, you can always get more dwarves.

Conceptually, this is completely true. (Although that's more logical from the player's perspective than a dwarf's. Something more along the lines of "it's fair to order someone hammered to death because they can't make you stuff from a metal which is physically impossible to find anywhere even remotely accessible to us", however, works quite well.) I guess I got distracted by the whole "I dinna sae we wurren't crazy!" thing.

Technically, though...

Quote from: language_DWARF.txt
   [T_WORD:LISTEN:ƒmid]
   [T_WORD:LIZARD:bungek]
   [T_WORD:LOBSTER:zedot]
   [T_WORD:LOCK:thak]
   [T_WORD:LONE:tet˘th]
   [T_WORD:LONG:romek]
   [T_WORD:FAIR EVEN:an–z]
   [T_WORD:FAIR COLOR:angen]

Fair's in there, in two different senses even, but logical... :P

Odd!x

• Bay Watcher
  • Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 11, 2010, 12:12:35 pm »

how about

Uristemedes' Fair and Decent Argument?

Quantum Toast

• Bay Watcher
  • Schrödinger's Breakfast
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 11, 2010, 02:30:56 pm »

I was considering Armok's Bolt actually ;D I reckon I'll troll the language file for something appropriate, and then name it in the fashion of that epic sky-fortress.

And of course my next fortress is going to be a mech that sports this bastard as its primary weapon.
Spear of Armok? Sounds about right for a projectile weapon. (Though come to think of it spears aren't projectiles in fortress mode, and everything is a projectile in Adventure mode...)
That would be as deadly to the wielder as to anyone else!  You'd sever your own arm at the first swing!  It's perfect!

Rat Of Wisdom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 11, 2010, 05:10:13 pm »

Those snivelling rat fink sonovanelf GOBLINS.

They took one of my legendary wrestlers from me.

So, I erected a masterwork platinum statue where she fell, and gave her a tomb in the depths engraved by my master artisan, with stautes, coffin and chests all of limonite (which she adored), one chest for her stuff, one for the stuff and corpses of the goblins she killed before dying.

But this, of course, settles the matter of a name for the railgun.

Ézum's Vengeance.

blue emu

• Bay Watcher
  • GroFAZ
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 11, 2010, 05:48:33 pm »

... It's not at the level of the nuclear reactor mockup (with the graphite and the beryl windows and the pitchblende and the SCRAM hatches and shit like that, I forget who exactly posted it but it was pretty damn cool)...
Me.
Never pet a burning dog.

Odd!x

• Bay Watcher
  • Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 12, 2010, 04:36:54 am »

Those snivelling rat fink sonovanelf GOBLINS.

But this, of course, settles the matter of a name for the railgun.

Ézum's Vengeance.

Long live the wrath of Ézum!
Pages: 1 [2]