Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Mystery masterwork losses  (Read 13222 times)

Murphy

• Bay Watcher
  • Lazy half-ass
    • View Profile
Re: Mystery masterwork losses
« Reply #15 on: February 09, 2010, 09:53:25 am »

Most likely fire snakes. I've had it too when I had a legendary carpenter on a map with magma.

psychologicalshock

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 09, 2010, 11:18:24 am »

Nope the guy doesn't give a crap because I have a legendary dining room with 2 artifacts in it and masterwork meals+drinks. I am mostly investigating out of curiosity more than worrying that he'll go mad. I think most of his masterwork stuff is either deep underground or already stolen/destroyed so it's cool.

Oh, I wasn't asking if HE was tantrumming, I was asking if any other dwarf was... as they can destroy items while in that mood.
Oh sorry was sleepy, nah... not yet.

Lord_Shadow

• Bay Watcher
  • [UNDEAD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 09, 2010, 02:41:25 pm »

Urist McCarpenter cancels rest: QUITSCREWINGWITHMAHBUCKETSYOUSONOFABITCHES!!!
Urist Mccarpenter has gone stark raving mad!

Urist McWalrusCarpenter cancels rest: Has u seen mah bukkit?!

siged
Urist McCarpenter cancels rest: QUITSCREWINGWITHMAHBUCKETSYOUSONOFABITCHES!!!
Urist Mccarpenter has gone stark raving mad!
Urist McWalrusCarpenter cancels rest: Has u seen mah bukkit?!

psychologicalshock

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 09, 2010, 04:28:59 pm »

Now I do have a tantrumer - the miner loves cats, he loves cats so much that every god damn cat in the fortress belongs to him, all 15 (yes ive been butchering every kitten born, ever). 2 of them die and he goes miserable, jeeze.

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 09, 2010, 04:41:27 pm »

I get random masterwork losses too, which belonged to my long-dead legendary carpenter.

Recently, I took a look at my block stockpiles, and in the middle of the bins are some piles of ten blocks or so. Since my block stockpile is near the magma pipe, it seems likely that fire snakes are also burning my bins, resulting in lost masterworks.

I would say this is likely the case for you too.
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

psychologicalshock

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 09, 2010, 05:47:42 pm »

Ah yeah...! My block stock piles aren't far from my magma forges+furnaces, it's probable that snakes are crawling into it. Ive begun producing nickel bins instead I think that should stop the bin loss.

psychologicalshock

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 09, 2010, 06:22:17 pm »

God dammit, in real life the loss of a pet is something we all have to face eventually. In dwarf fortress it causes the  collapse of a civilization. The miner threw a rock and angered someone else, now they're mad and throwing crap at other dwarves , all over some god damn dead cat!

Reese

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 09, 2010, 06:32:49 pm »

God dammit, in real life the loss of a pet is something we all have to face eventually. In dwarf fortress it causes the  collapse of a civilization. The miner threw a rock and angered someone else, now they're mad and throwing crap at other dwarves , all over some god damn dead cat!

Too bad the number of pets can't change the ammount of bad thought the same way the number of masterworks created does...

Then again, there's always the one dwarf that becomes the crazy cat lady, so maybe mental stability isn't the strong point of dorfs with multiple pets. (yeah, in every fort where I have a breeding pair of cats, one of my miners end up with several cats and all the children she can pop out following her down into the mines...)
All glory to the Hypno-Toady!

psychologicalshock

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 09, 2010, 08:32:15 pm »

The god damn miner was giving water to someone and tantrumed in the middle of it,  he proceeded to chuck the bucket of water at 200 miles/hour at the nearest dorf mangling his upper body and penetrating his lung, said dwarf is probably not going to be getting out of bed for the next 10 years.

bmaczero

• Bay Watcher
  • Smokie, Tame Parakeet (On Head)
    • View Profile
    • I make games
« Reply #24 on: February 10, 2010, 12:03:14 am »

On a semi-related note, I just got one of those messages.

I tracked it down.  It was a door.  I had dismantled said door, and it was set to the side.  There was a pump below it (for magma, but there was no magma running near it at the time).  I channelled the floor under the door, figuring someone was coming to move it.  A few minutes later it was still there.  I figured the channel had been made, so I ordered a gear assembly built over it, figuring my mechanic would move the door.

A bit later I get the message.  Looking over, I see a shiny new Alunite Gear Assembly, and no sign of the door.  A random felsite rock that was sitting on the same square seems to be also missing (although it could have been nabbed for a construction).

Not quite sure how that happened.
The Forgotten Beast Art Archive.  Nightmares 100% guaranteed!

pushy

• Bay Watcher
  • [MEANDERER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 10, 2010, 05:23:43 am »

mangling his upper body and penetrating his lung, said dwarf is probably not going to be getting out of bed for the next 10 years.
...if his lung's been pierced, said dwarf is probably not going to live for the next 10 years :P

On a semi-related note, I just got one of those messages.

I tracked it down.  It was a door.  I had dismantled said door, and it was set to the side.  There was a pump below it (for magma, but there was no magma running near it at the time).  I channelled the floor under the door, figuring someone was coming to move it.  A few minutes later it was still there.  I figured the channel had been made, so I ordered a gear assembly built over it, figuring my mechanic would move the door.

A bit later I get the message.  Looking over, I see a shiny new Alunite Gear Assembly, and no sign of the door.  A random felsite rock that was sitting on the same square seems to be also missing (although it could have been nabbed for a construction).

Not quite sure how that happened.
You're not? You simply made too many assumptions, when you shouldn't be making any (except maybe that your dwarves will screw everything up thanks to their stupidity). Assumption is the mother of all fuck-ups :P
Quote from: Tim Edwards, PC Gamer UK
There are three things I know about dwarves:
1. They've got beards. Even the women.
2. They're short. Especially the women.
3. They're Scottish.

Demolira

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 10, 2010, 09:53:32 am »

Firesnakes would probably explain my carpenter masterwork losses as well.

The ones that get me are the Bonecarvers that get angry for losing masterworks, because Orcs flee off the map with masterwork bolts in their arms.

wagawaga

• Bay Watcher
  • He is utterly unaware of his own intentions.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 11, 2010, 10:59:17 am »

Just asking, are bolts counted by stacks or by number when considering masterwork losses?

They do count by number when decorating, is this the case too?

MC Dirty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 11, 2010, 12:06:34 pm »

The ones that get me are the Bonecarvers that get angry for losing masterworks, because Orcs flee off the map with masterwork bolts in their arms.
That's actually kind of hilarious. Thank you for making my day. xD
Pages: 1 [2]