Dwarf Fortress > DF Dwarf Mode Discussion

Naming Themes

(1/7) > >>

Ledi:
Hi, I've just dived back into DF after a long time of no playing. Been watching CaptainDuck's tutorials (which are awesome) and it started me wondering - do you name your dwarves for easy reference, and if so, do you use a theme? I'd like to nickname all my dwarves after a theme (just hit 75) but the only feasible one to come to mind has already been used quite publicly (video game characters).

So! What themes do you use, or could you suggest, for naming all the dwarves in a fortress?

Cheddarius:
Use Dwarf Therapist and give everyone a custom job instead. All masons engrave? Two clicks and you're done.

Lemunde:

--- Quote from: Cheddarius on February 09, 2010, 12:45:33 am ---Use Dwarf Therapist and give everyone a custom job instead. All masons engrave? Two clicks and you're done.

--- End quote ---

K... ???

Anyways, I used the video game character thing for a while but it got old fast.  I tried using Greek, Norse and Roman mythology as a reference, naming dwarves Athena, Zeus, Mars, Larissa, Thor... 

For my current fortress I'm trying something new.  Instead of using names from outside the game, I simply translate their last names into English.  So now my mason is Mansion Glazed, my wood cutter is Lance Stops, my miner is Whipped Conjured and my champion wrestler is Union Tools.  I also have a peasant named Ankle Bust.  I have high hopes for him.  ;D  I just wish there was a way to translate them automatically.

CompletelySerious:
I usually do one of two things(sometimes both). I either give them funny-sounding names like "Grubba" or "Bumpie" or I give them ethnic names like "Ming Pao" or "Smerdyakov." But I used to draw a lot from mythology as well. It just doesn't amuse me as much as my multicultural forts.

On a related note, centralize, replace first, or replace all? I like centralize myself.

Solara:
^^^ I use replace all - otherwise their name is just too long once I'm done adding my part.

--- Quote from: Lemunde on February 09, 2010, 12:55:27 am ---For my current fortress I'm trying something new.  Instead of using names from outside the game, I simply translate their last names into English.

--- End quote ---

Funny, I thought I was the only one who did this. :) I still give the most important dwarves nicknames on top of it, but if Bookchewed the fisherdwarf happens to do something interesting it's nice to know about it, and easier to locate him.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version