Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: How to Become Tired  (Read 8384 times)

Cheddarius

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm.
    • View Profile
How to Become Tired
« on: February 09, 2010, 01:20:03 am »

I need help getting very tired right before I go to sleep; otherwise, I just stay up and lie in bed, eyes closed, for thirty minutes or so.
How can I make myself tired?

Dasleah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: How to Become Tired
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2010, 01:41:17 am »

Go to bed later.
Pokethulhu Orange: UPDATE 25
The Roguelike Development Megathread.

As well, all the posts i've seen you make are flame posts, barely if at all constructive.

Cheddarius

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2010, 01:46:21 am »

GENIUS

CompletelySerious

• Bay Watcher
  • Citizen Snips!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2010, 02:03:42 am »

I've got the same problem. Waking up earlier helps me out at lot, and in general cutting back from 8 or 9 hours of sleep to 6 or 7. I'll also read or play a game like Tetris.

Also, I find that my mind races a lot when I'm laying down, and instead I just focus on something small, like what I'd like to dream about or when I want to wake up, makes it go quicker. Same principle as counting sheep, really.

Or you could get really plastered, although that's not very restful.

Edit: Obviously I am not following my own advice.
You win this round, magma.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2010, 02:04:05 am »

Drink milk.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Red Fortune

• Bay Watcher
  • [ALWAYS_CONFUSED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2010, 02:20:52 am »

I have the same problem, even though I feel emotionally tired and get almost no sleep.

50 LAPS!

/hypocrite.
"These humans only worship one god. Can you believe it?"
"Man, if I had to decide between the god of magma and the god of rubies, I just don't think I could handle it."

Muz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2010, 02:54:14 am »

Mast.. er, exercise. Do it at least an hour before going to bed, though.
Disclaimer: Any sarcasm in my posts will not be mentioned as that would ruin the purpose. It is assumed that the reader is intelligent enough to tell the difference between what is sarcasm and what is not.

ein

• Bay Watcher
  • 勝利の女神はここよ~ 早く捕まえてぇ~
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2010, 03:44:36 am »

Hit yourself in the face with a large book.
It's worked for me in the past.

kcwong

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2010, 04:41:38 am »

I listen to music and concentrate on the sounds. Type of music doesn't matter as long as you like them. Make a short playlist, set the player to go through the playlist once and turn down the volume a bit; you don't want to damage your ear drums.

The point is to establish a routine... you always listen to the same playlist. At first I can go through the whole playlist without falling asleep (then I just hit play to have another go); but after a few nights I could fall asleep even before the first song is over.

The only down side? My room isn't soundproof so I have to use ear phones. While I get used to it, after several months the cables got damaged because I slept on them, and I had to buy a new one.

smigenboger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2010, 06:21:16 am »

A solid eight hour shift or more of standing on your feet and working is the best thing to help me go to sleep. Lifting weights and swimming helps too.

Conversely, sleeping in and sitting on a couch or computer all day will keep you up for hours after wanting to go to sleep.
While talking to AJ:
In college I studied the teachings of Socrates and Aeropostale

Dawnkeeper

• Bay Watcher
  • carpe noctem
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2010, 10:18:48 am »

troll comment #53
Sex helps a big deal ;D
Quote from: Toady One
02/22/2009: I fixed the brain problem.

Hawkfrost

• Bay Watcher
  • It's way too late to stop.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2010, 12:35:31 pm »

I have the same problem, only if I don't fall asleep almost immediately my mind starts to grow more and more awake until I can't sleep that night at all.
So, I need to be exhausted before I go to bed or I'll just end up hyper.

I really don't understand how it works, getting more energized by lying in bed.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2010, 12:42:46 pm »

A solid eight hour shift or more of standing on your feet and working is the best thing to help me go to sleep. Lifting weights and swimming helps too.

Conversely, sleeping in and sitting on a couch or computer all day will keep you up for hours after wanting to go to sleep.

Ding.

If you get exercise during the day, that helps you feel tired at night, and helps you to feel satisfied doing it.

Speaking of satisfaction, being productive during the day in general helps; it makes the day seem to last longer, and I know I feel better at night if I feel like I've done something that day.

Lack of routine hurts, too, because you won't establish a consistent sleep schedule.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

JaaSwb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2010, 06:24:16 pm »

Try not to use your brain for at least half an hour before going to bed. Unfortunately my lack of skill in this respect frequently keeps me awake 'til 4 AM (during weekdays the alarm goes at 6:50) :(

I can vouch for physical activity though - it works!
The fish are watching.

Mr Tk

• Bay Watcher
  • Would you like a mint? It's only waffer thin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 09, 2010, 10:58:04 pm »

The only down side? My room isn't soundproof so I have to use ear phones. While I get used to it, after several months the cables got damaged because I slept on them, and I had to buy a new one.

I found the best way to get past this is to put your headphones under your pillow, so when you toss and turn your not yanking the jack out of the socket. Unless you have thin pillow and then you can't sleep because sleeping on your music player.

Since I've moved in with my girlfriend, I can't listen to music to get to sleep now. I normally count backwards from 100 and rarely, if ever, get to 0.
First ten minutes of play I ate my loincloth and then got some limbs torn off by a super friendly rat. Thumbs up from me.
Pages: [1] 2 3