Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: How to Become Tired  (Read 8389 times)

cowofdoom78963

• Bay Watcher
  • check
    • View Profile
Re: How to Become Tired
« Reply #15 on: February 09, 2010, 11:32:36 pm »

Do some physical labor during the day?

Enzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 10, 2010, 03:44:47 am »

Read a James Joyce book. That fucker will put you to sleep like nobodies business.

Or exercise. That works too. It's also more productive than the aforementioned suggestion.

ajar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 10, 2010, 03:47:05 am »

Don't see nightmares. If you see nightmares, you won't be able to sleep even if you feel very tired. Instead you feel more and more tired every moment.

Don't sleep at all. Meditate for 2 hours. or take naps of 20 minutes between every 1 hour. Sleep like a marine!
And so I tell you, keep on asking, and you will receive what you ask for. Keep on seeking, and you will find. Keep on knocking, and the door will be opened to you. For everyone who asks, receives. Everyone who seeks, finds. And to everyone who knocks, the door will be opened. Jesus-

LeoLeonardoIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet McWhiskey
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 11, 2010, 04:06:40 pm »

1: Establish a schedule. You need to hit the sack at around the same time every night, but more importantly you need to wake up at the same time every morning. Eventually you'll start waking without an alarm even if you're still tired. Don't stay up super late unless that's the schedule you want to set for yourself.

1A: You are not a "night person" or a "day person". Your rhythm has a lot more to do with the fact that you're human like everyone else, and how much sunlight you get and when. If you want to change your schedule it is possible to adapt to it. But a nocturnal schedule is going to be difficult regardless.

2: Eat right. Eat healthy stuff, drink plenty of water. You don't need a huge amount of meat, certainly not every meal. Try eating meat only at dinner, and then only a playing-card-pack size portion of meat with dinner, and see how you feel.

Spoiler: 2A: My diet plan (click to show/hide)

3: No exercise an hour before bed. Get some exercise during the day. You should work hard enough to break a sweat and get a little out of breath for half an hour every day. Don't skimp and then try to bunch it all up for the week in one day.

4: No caffeine for three hours before bed. Don't use caffeine heavily at any time (latte, energy drinks, caffeine pills). Coke or meth will keep you up.

5: Don't do anything in bed but sleep (and sex, I guess). You need to establish your bed as a place for sleep. Don't sleep anywhere else but a bed. Not even a nap.

6: A quick nap in the middle of the day is okay, but don't sleep more than an hour.

7: Don't let yourself wake up slowly in the morning. When it's time to get up, get right up, hop in the shower, get dressed and get food in you, even if you don't have to do anything all day.

8: Don't get up and do things because you're bored in bed. Stay put. Anything you do will just keep you up longer than if you sat still. Meditate - try the "empty" meditation rather than "imagery" meditation, though you may have to start with that. Don't use directed meditation like from a music player or something.
The Expedition Map
Basement Stuck
Treebanned
Haunter of Birthday Cakes, Bearded Hamburger, Intensely Off-Topic

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 12, 2010, 12:57:34 am »

1A: You are not a "night person" or a "day person". Your rhythm has a lot more to do with the fact that you're human like everyone else, and how much sunlight you get and when. If you want to change your schedule it is possible to adapt to it. But a nocturnal schedule is going to be difficult regardless.

I don't know if I fully agree with this. I certainly think some people just function better getting up/going to bed earlier/later than other people, even if that's only by virtue of preference. Different times of day offer different environments in a lot of ways, and some people just seem drawn one way or the other.

That being said, regardless of that, you can adapt. I've always preferred going to bed late and sleeping late, but when I had a summer job requiring me to be up at 5AM, I could still manage. Of course, it helped that the job involved lots of physical labor, so I actually wanted to sleep when the time came.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

eerr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 12, 2010, 01:14:37 am »

Don't eat anything after dinner.
This includes soda.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 12, 2010, 01:20:13 am »

That won't work for everyone by a long shot, though.

I know that I have serious trouble getting to bed on an empty stomach. It's distracting and feels terribly wrong. Of course, that's probably related to the fact that I have a fast metabolism.

So... yeah. Depends on who you are. Eating a lot late at night definitely doesn't help, generally-speaking, but you have to find what's comfortable for you. Experiment a bit, I guess.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Maggarg - Eater of chicke

• Bay Watcher
  • His Maleficent Magnificence of Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 14, 2010, 07:58:01 am »

Wake up earlier
...I keep searching for my family's raw files, for modding them.

Nicpon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 14, 2010, 08:17:27 am »

Since I've moved in with my girlfriend, I can't listen to music to get to sleep now. I normally count backwards from 100 and rarely, if ever, get to 0.
I once counted to 2000 in bed.

And yes, music helps.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 14, 2010, 02:01:14 pm »

Sex ;). At least it helps me. Although being married helps it too, so if it's not an option, do some hard physical exercises half an hour before you go to bed. Or as Maz told. It helped me when I was not married :P.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Cheddarius

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 14, 2010, 02:06:56 pm »

Man, you guys are acting like I'd be going "Sex! Ugh! What a horrid exercise in futility! I would only ever do that if there were some way it'd help me sleep better".

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 14, 2010, 04:10:29 pm »

No, it was just an answer. Also, sometimes it's like you say. Heh.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Jude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 15, 2010, 08:35:58 pm »

I need help getting very tired right before I go to sleep; otherwise, I just stay up and lie in bed, eyes closed, for thirty minutes or so.
How can I make myself tired?

Man, I'd give anything for thirty minutes of lying awake to be one of my BAD nights.

Anyway, exercise a lot during the day. Failing that (such as if you have real insomnia problems), melatonin. Also don't go on the computer close to bedtime, the light stimulates your brain and keeps it from going into sleep mode.
Quote from: Raphite1
I once started with a dwarf that was "belarded by great hanging sacks of fat."

Oh Jesus

Satarus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 17, 2010, 03:53:55 pm »

I'd cut all stimulants from your diet.  Caffeine is a major offender here. You may be like me and it takes hours for you to properly metabolize it.

Second, try to only do restful stuff in your room.  Watching TV or doing work in your room can create a psychosomatic association with the room in general. 

Third, try to avoid anything that is really mentally stimulating half an hour before going to bed.  Things like playing video games can get your mind very alert and hinder your attempts to get some sleep.

Chamomile is supposedly a mild depressant, so having some chamomile tea before sleeping may help as well.
You need to make said elf leather into the most amazing work of art.  Embed it with every kind of gem you have, stud it with metals, and sew images into it.  Erect a shrine outside your fort with that in the center.  Let the elves know that you view their very skin as naught more but a medium for your dwarves to work on.

Jude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 18, 2010, 09:09:40 am »

That won't work for everyone by a long shot, though.

I know that I have serious trouble getting to bed on an empty stomach. It's distracting and feels terribly wrong. Of course, that's probably related to the fact that I have a fast metabolism.

So... yeah. Depends on who you are. Eating a lot late at night definitely doesn't help, generally-speaking, but you have to find what's comfortable for you. Experiment a bit, I guess.

Yeah, if I don't eat right before I go to bed, I invariably wake up at 5 AM, so hungry it's literally painful. This will probably make me fat when I'm older, but right now it's the only way to guarantee a good night's sleep
Quote from: Raphite1
I once started with a dwarf that was "belarded by great hanging sacks of fat."

Oh Jesus
Pages: 1 [2] 3