Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Need help locating a certain utility.  (Read 420 times)

Desiderium

• Bay Watcher
  • [SELECT_SYMBOL:UNTOWARD]
    • View Profile
Need help locating a certain utility.
« on: February 09, 2010, 03:03:19 am »

I've finished construction of an obsidian cast tower, and I remember reading somewhere a week or so back about some DF utility that allowed the user very powerful control over certain aspects of the game which in the wrong hands were uncontrollably game-breaking and un-fun. One of the functions of the utility was the ability to change tiles to subterranean underground dark.

There was a few other things it could do, but that was the main function that caught my eye and that I can remember right now. I know it's not much to work off of, but is there any utility that you can think of off the top of your head that could do such a task, and is it also compatible with 40d16?

I've searched through the mods list on the front page, and went back through the page history a dozen pages, but I must have overlooked it or something, because I cannot find it. I was hoping the community could help me in my search... :/

If you're wondering what I'm going to even do with such a powerful tool, I just simply wanted to create the inside of my tower subterranean, so when the all inside command is issued, my dorfies won't freeze on the spot because there is no subterranean region to flee to on my map, and consequently get slaughtered by gobbos and orcs.

Thanks for reading my small cry for help. Hopefully someone knows what I'm talking about. ;-;

Urist McWounded has created a microcline bucket, on the bucket is an image of Urist, Urist is surrounded by the dwarves, Urist is wasting away, The dwarves are working, The bucket is empty.  On the bucket is an image of Urists third finger in dwarf bone.

Hugo_The_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Modding Mentor
    • View Profile
    • Regeneration: Forced Evolution
Re: Need help locating a certain utility.
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2010, 09:00:07 am »

The utility your thinking of is Dtil, but its not compatible with 40d16 just 40d and maybe lesser version, You could copy your save from 40d16 to 40d use the utility then save and swap back and play that way.

I also thought just as long as it says Inside such as a roofed tower that you speak of you just need to make a meeting area within the tower key " i " and then pressing " m " to assign as a meeting area. I also had a above ground tower/fort/bunker/castle thing, it was very disfigured. once I told them to come indoors they all ran inside the "weird building" and waited that the cedar doors because they wanted those socks so damn bad

either way these two remedys should work

Desiderium

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2010, 04:27:18 pm »

Ah, that's not quite the one I was looking for, but it is damn good enough, and will work for what I need. Thank you, kind ser. I think I'll leave the "entryway" portion of my tower labeled as outside, or at least non-subterranean, so there's no suicidal entrance dancing for that one lone -pig tail sock-.

I'll leave the thread unlocked for now, in the event someone might know of another program that does this, just for the satisfaction of knowing what it was I've been looking for, because I know it wasn't Dtil.

Edit: There wouldn't possibly be a way to change multiple tiles at once, would there? My tower is currently a 42x42 circle that spans 15 z-levels. That's about 20700 tiles I would have to manually edit one by one. Even if I were doing just the tiles in which traffic crossed, it would still take an unholy amount of time.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2010, 04:37:36 pm by Desiderium »

Urist McWounded has created a microcline bucket, on the bucket is an image of Urist, Urist is surrounded by the dwarves, Urist is wasting away, The dwarves are working, The bucket is empty.  On the bucket is an image of Urists third finger in dwarf bone.

Simmura McCrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Steam profile
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2010, 04:44:30 pm »

Try "For Each Tile". I think it allows for mass changing to subterranean.

Desiderium

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2010, 06:58:15 pm »

AHA! That's it! That's the one I was looking for. I couldn't remember the author's name, and it's not on the Community Mods and utilities list.

A thousand thanks, I really hope this works correctly. Now I only need to find out if it's compatible with 40d16, or if I'll have to revert back to 40d quickly. In any case, thank you for sating my curiosity and solving my problem. :)

EDIT: Program worked like a charm, and has better flexibility than I thought it would. Fantastic utility for perfectionists.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2010, 08:34:28 pm by Desiderium »