Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Your sickest most overkill deathtraps you have made?  (Read 2586 times)

jokuvaan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Your sickest most overkill deathtraps you have made?
« on: February 09, 2010, 05:15:31 am »

What are your most sickest, total overkill deathtraps you have made?

this is mine:

http://mkv25.net/dfma/movie-1544-motherofallfloodingtrapsfloodeverything

craziest one I've made, capable of flooding my entire fort if security hatches aint sealed  ;D
Thikut Inethmuzish, Recruit cancels Shooting at Archery Range: Too Insane.

ein

• Bay Watcher
  • 勝利の女神はここよ~ 早く捕まえてぇ~
    • View Profile
Re: Your sickest most overkill deathtraps you have made?
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2010, 05:42:43 am »

No maps or videos, but I had a one-tile wide spiral full of weapon traps each with a single whip.
At the end was about 20 champion wrestlers and 5 champion marksdwarves.

Satarus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2010, 10:39:26 am »

In a sucession game, it wasn't finished yet.  But the idea was a long bridge with pressure plates.  It drops teh goblins 5 Z-levels or so.  This isn't enough to guarantee kills.  But the entire room coated with upright spikes linked to a lever on repeat is enough to finish them off.  Just remember to cancel the lever pull order before extracting the goblinite.
You need to make said elf leather into the most amazing work of art.  Embed it with every kind of gem you have, stud it with metals, and sew images into it.  Erect a shrine outside your fort with that in the center.  Let the elves know that you view their very skin as naught more but a medium for your dwarves to work on.

Arrkhal

• Bay Watcher
  • Who modded in these flying killer attack babies???
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2010, 03:16:42 pm »

Nothing very big, but my biggest trap project was overkill for anything within the kill zone.  Landmine above a small magma reservoir above a hallway (with pressure plate) above another magma reservoir.  The landmine would punch through the upper reservoir, then the hall, then into the lower reservoir.  So instant death cave-in smashy plus cave-in dust plus a falling magma flood plus magma mist from the bottom reservoir.
In development: Arrkhal's Material and Weapon balance
Please test and let me know what still needs fixing.  And get these freakin' babies offa me!

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2010, 09:19:57 pm »

Invaders at my southern entrance have to go through the barracks, and by extension, my 16 champions.

That's plenty overkill.

To balance it out, I'm building a death gauntlet tower at my northern entrance. A good ten floors of various automatic and mechanical traps so far.
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

BodyGripper

• Bay Watcher
  • The dog is screaming.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2010, 10:59:17 am »

No maps or videos, but I had a one-tile wide spiral full of weapon traps each with a single whip.
At the end was about 20 champion wrestlers and 5 champion marksdwarves.

I may have to try this... at least the whip part, anyway.
"I'm sorry. I'm so sorry... It's okay to sell quivers..."
I just ripped open a lions throat by biting it. Who's the lion now, bitch!

wagawaga

• Bay Watcher
  • He is utterly unaware of his own intentions.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2010, 12:06:39 pm »

Invaders at my southern entrance have to go through the barracks, and by extension, my 16 champions.

That's plenty overkill.

To balance it out, I'm building a death gauntlet tower at my northern entrance. A good ten floors of various automatic and mechanical traps so far.

Not if they are orcs.

Talanic

• Bay Watcher
  • Struggling author / pizza delivery guy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2010, 01:20:15 pm »

I built a maze that creatures would have to enter through.  It was wide enough for wagons and served as my fort's main entry, of course, and had a lever to shut off access if needed. 

Creatures would enter from the right, go through squiggly passageways, go underground, go back above ground, etc., until finally coming down the far left side and accessing the trade depot and the common area, a statue garden with the barracks inside.  Only past all of that was the staircase down into the actual fort.

In addition to traps (map had obsidian, I think, so sword traps were everywhere), the entire maze - except the side that bordered my common area - was built of fortified block walls.  On the far left side, behind four-wall-thick fortifications, with a clear aisle to shoot at everything that moved, was a ballista squad.  All masterwork, with legendary operators, and accessed only from below (literally, carved out of a mountainside). 

Ballistas ignore all aspects of fortifications - meaning that even if bowgobs got all the way to the wall on the left, they'd have a 4x aiming penalty for shooting through four sets of fortifications, but the siege crews were unhindered.

I'm an aspiring Science Fiction and Fantasy writer.  I'm telling the tale of a hapless cyborg everyman lost in a savage fantasy world.

My first review from a real magazine!

wallie79r

• Bay Watcher
  • Ravenous Seal
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2010, 06:57:55 pm »

A small reservoir of lava built above ground, held up by a few supports hooked to conveniently placed pressure plates. All the fun of lava and cave ins in one delicious barbeque! Of course, resetting it is an issue, but such is life.
This world will burn and with it end the reign of man, a mercy stroke!

MoonLightBird

• Bay Watcher
  • Hothothothot!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2010, 07:09:22 pm »

This idea was taken from someone else but I stole liked it and made it my own.
A very long, 1 tile wide hall filled with 2/7 water and many whip traps.
As they enter the small room at the start the floodgates close, trapping them in....The only exit is at the end of the long hallway. One by one they walk down the hall...only to have whips (one per trap) tear and rend their flesh. As they crawl along the floor, they see the end! 10 feet (squares) from the end they pass by some holes in the wall. As they pass they get filled with arrows. After a few try to pass the mini river turns red with blood. If they somehow pass that they enter a room filled with about 20 wardogs. Because they are coming one at a time they get torn up quick.
Nothing has made it out so far, including a titan and a dragon. Hell the titan was the only one to make it to the dogs.

jryan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2010, 09:20:30 pm »

My favorite was a set 5 parallel hallways each 20 tiles long and closed on each end by a flood gate, and a single pressure plate 15 tiles in.  The halls have the share walls smoother and carved into fortifications.

The hallways have one side open to the outside world and the other end open to a hallway into the fortress.

When the trap is set only one floodgate is open to the outside world and the other four closed... we'll call them halls 1 through 5 (hall 1 has the door open to the outside and inside... 2 through 5 have the outer door cloosed and inner door open).

Now, pressure plate 1 closes the gate at both ends of hall 1 and opens the outside gate for hall two (now hall 2 has a "clear" path into the fort).  Hall 2's pressure plate closes both inside and outside doors to hall 2 and opens 3... now three is the clear path, and so on.

With this system a full goblin siege can ge captured in these halls as none of them will be killed so none of them will run.

For simplicity I have two pressure platesin hall 5, the first opens a gate releasing torrents of water, the second closes the floogates on either end of hall 5.

In theory you can quickly and easily create new sequential hall traps for each siege and capture an entire gobllin civilization in your fort.

Just be sure to plan for draining the halls after flooding them (btw, the fortifications are what allow you to drown all 5 hallways with one flood gate)... you need to gather all that goblinite!

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2010, 09:23:28 pm »

A raising bridge that when activated launches the unlucky bastard into a pool full of carp and upright spikes.

After 50 deaths I encased the pool in obsidian.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2010, 09:25:06 pm by Jacob/Lee »

Gara-nis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2010, 09:55:03 pm »

My best deathtrap was a massive cistern of magma that went up to like +15 from ground level, and had a few spouts spread across the map. I also had a similar cistern of water, with matching spouts. When the time came, with an orc invasion coming in full steam with about 80 orcs and an extremely unfriendly black dragon bearing down, I unleashed the pain of first lava and then water, turning the map into a massive obsidian wasteland. It was godly.

Unfortunately I got bored afterwards and deleted the save in a fit of hard drive space recovery.

tastypaste

• Bay Watcher
  • "It's delicious!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2010, 11:28:16 pm »

The Entrance of Many Traps

My entrance is a zigzagging 3 wide path over water that curls back on itself left, right, up and down, sort of like a brain. There are shortcut bridges for normal use but when the bridges are raised the only way in is to follow the entire path which is approximately 200 x 3 spaces of cage traps and weapon traps (copper spikes and assorted goblin weapons x10).

The entire thing is overlooked by 15 marksdwarfs stationed behind fortifications. At the end is a pressure plate linked to hatch covers to shut down the entrance just in case. And if something manages to get past all that, the entire central staircase of my fortress is closed in by doors linked to a lever and it can be shut down with a pull (took 168 mechanisms and two dwarf years to link all those doors up).

I'm not sure if anything in the game (other than Kobolds) is capable of making it to the end of the gauntlet because 90% of creatures are captured in the cages at the beginning and the rare ones that make it past the cages never get more than 1/4 of the way along the path Nothing has lived long enough to reach the weapon traps at the end of the path.

All of these cages supply:

The Mega Arena

Now I have 100+ goblins, a bronze collosus, ~100 puppies and kittens, a leopard and a tame gray squirrel in cages linked to levers in a massive arena. After I collect some more I plan to release them all at once and see who wins. If my CPU doesn't explode first.

I have 5 mechanics shops and 5 carpenters shops dedicated to making cages and mechanisms (or at least I did before the stupid elves made me stop cutting down trees). Eventually the entire map will be blanketed in cage traps to fill my Mega Arena. Nothing will be able to move without falling into a cage.

I might have gone a bit overboard with the traps and mechanism but they're just so much fun. My next fort will be trap-free to compensate for how easy I've had it these last few dwarf years. I've only lost one dwarf due to siege and it was only because he was stupid and wandered off to the far side of the map to get a drink even though I have a perfectly good well inside.
Denethor cancels stewardship:  Went Insane.
Denethor went berserk!