Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: topography & height + 1 more  (Read 493 times)

mineditall

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.eccentrix.com/members/kefka
topography & height + 1 more
« on: April 10, 2007, 08:06:00 am »

subpar 3d games often dont include enough advantages and disadvantages from height

i can understand enough that a 2d game makes it rather complicated to integrate height and 3d directions when dealing with such an already complicated gameplay but i do also want to see cliffs and rolling hills which make it harder or easier for things to be complete

i have seen on the dev pages a detail of the planned upcomming (maybenotnext) generated fortress mode layouts which dont make completely static flat mountainsides

so adding hills to the wilderness making thus hills harder to traverse up and breezy and somewhat dangerous to roll down
then also adding attacking advantage multipliers .1 .2 .3 ect for each topographical difference between each character on different slopes

would not such detail of height solely outside in the wilderness make a huge game impact fun and exciting for any realistic gameplayer?

and for added bonus allow different levels of mining say for instance
at your G front gate by pressing + or - allows you to go UP or DOWN in view and dig out above so below the front gate level and also incorporate stairs and more basically ladders

ive seen that traffic layouts are being developed, so in a sense such things are not beyond the gameplay

i have also the suggestion as has been mentioned previously that the game has a huge bottleneck leading from its graphics processing
typically on the library computer i can achieve 24-36 fps with a heavy contigent of things happening on OR off screen

why should opengl have so much to do with a 2d simplistic game? and why does it rely so heavily on cpu power instead of videocard ability?
unknown tested but would it not make sense that a top end athlon 64 fx with super high end dual SSI nvidia pci-express videocards would undoubtedly add 200-500 fps capability with minimal speedup of standard gameplay timescales?
as it is most users ive noticed have had serious lag issues running less than 20 fps causing their fortresses to costly be slowed down their gameplay
not due to pausing, fortress design, or other offences, but singly due to the fact that the fps limits of the game make playing beyond 100 dwarves doing 600 different things in 1 year makes the game nearly impossible to want to continue playing at 14fps!!!!

please please in the short future if not this next release then the next rework the code to cleanup bottlenecks and loosen up the fps & gameplay

dont just behead, i behemoth!

TerminatorII

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:Adamantine Skeleton]
    • View Profile
Re: topography & height + 1 more
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2007, 11:17:00 am »

I can definately amen to this.... I have a dual core Pentium 3 with an ATI 9200 Grafics card. I can play High end games at max res for hours with no slow in game play but with DF, it is steadily running slower the longer my fortress exists. A LOT slower.

Great game still and Ill keep playing, but it would be nice if it ran faster and for longer.

No, I think the cook would be in charge of sugar-coating the cows.

You are a lifesaver! Round and probably in tropical flavors.

Zengief

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2007, 11:32:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by mineditall:
<STRONG>subpar 3d games often dont include enough advantages and disadvantages from height

i can understand enough that a 2d game makes it rather complicated to integrate height and 3d directions when dealing with such an already complicated gameplay but i do also want to see cliffs and rolling hills which make it harder or easier for things to be complete

i have seen on the dev pages a detail of the planned upcomming (maybenotnext) generated fortress mode layouts which dont make completely static flat mountainsides

so adding hills to the wilderness making thus hills harder to traverse up and breezy and somewhat dangerous to roll down
then also adding attacking advantage multipliers .1 .2 .3 ect for each topographical difference between each character on different slopes

would not such detail of height solely outside in the wilderness make a huge game impact fun and exciting for any realistic gameplayer?

and for added bonus allow different levels of mining say for instance
at your G front gate by pressing + or - allows you to go UP or DOWN in view and dig out above so below the front gate level and also incorporate stairs and more basically ladders

ive seen that traffic layouts are being developed, so in a sense such things are not beyond the gameplay

i have also the suggestion as has been mentioned previously that the game has a huge bottleneck leading from its graphics processing
typically on the library computer i can achieve 24-36 fps with a heavy contigent of things happening on OR off screen

why should opengl have so much to do with a 2d simplistic game? and why does it rely so heavily on cpu power instead of videocard ability?
unknown tested but would it not make sense that a top end athlon 64 fx with super high end dual SSI nvidia pci-express videocards would undoubtedly add 200-500 fps capability with minimal speedup of standard gameplay timescales?
as it is most users ive noticed have had serious lag issues running less than 20 fps causing their fortresses to costly be slowed down their gameplay
not due to pausing, fortress design, or other offences, but singly due to the fact that the fps limits of the game make playing beyond 100 dwarves doing 600 different things in 1 year makes the game nearly impossible to want to continue playing at 14fps!!!!

please please in the short future if not this next release then the next rework the code to cleanup bottlenecks and loosen up the fps & gameplay</STRONG>

quote:
Originally posted by TerminatorII:
<STRONG>I can definately amen to this.... I have a dual core Pentium 3 with an ATI 9200 Grafics card. I can play High end games at max res for hours with no slow in game play but with DF, it is steadily running slower the longer my fortress exists. A LOT slower.
</STRONG>

Its amusing that you think your graphics card makes a lick of difference here.  The game is not slow because of its uber high end graphics.  It is slow because of all of the calculations done for each unit and for every square of water and for every action performed each frame.  You graphics card is not going to figure out if Tom "leftfoot" Ulgsworth is going to go pick up a rock next or make a barrel of wine.
The processing time for the graphics is miniscule compared to all of the other stuff going on.
And yet you want to add rolling hills and attack bonuses and on and on. There is a reason that Toady keeps referencing how "expensive" a certain feature can be to add.  He is not talking about money.  He is talking about your fps.

Xeirxes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2007, 03:45:00 pm »

i don't think rolling hills and attack bonuses would create any CPU difficulties. the rolling hills are made upon map generation, so that handles that. The attack bonuses are kind of a static thing; the real FPS hog comes when hundreds of dwarves are all working together together on projects. I foresee in the future that this may be abstracted out a bit, with the proposed system (i think it's called mounds?)