Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: non bed ridden injuries  (Read 1447 times)

mineditall

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.eccentrix.com/members/kefka
non bed ridden injuries
« on: April 10, 2007, 08:21:00 am »

i can understand its traumatic to have your eye poked out in battle and want to be sad forever
but please please get the crap out of bed and go make yourself a bastard fortress guard again, your one eye will make you hate those bugger hippos with names that instantly took off your best-dwarf-friend's legs

so get out there ONE-EYE! KILL and be brave once again

inotherwords
not all body parts are needed for mobility hauling, lifting, strength, or anything

blindness sucks but you can still be useful
...somehow

SO HEAL!!!

dont just behead, i behemoth!

Xeirxes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: non bed ridden injuries
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2007, 03:39:00 pm »

well, there was this girl i know that lost one of her eyes, she actually had to like re-learn a lot of stuff, like walking and stuff. I do agree that eventually they should be able to recover, though

Rakoth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2007, 01:56:00 am »

Some do.

I have two units that I keep an eye on - The first had her left lung knocked to the red, and a hint of brain damaged, and aside from losing consciousness every few moments she's still a good grower and part of the community.

The other's a duo-legendary miner/engraver combo - His is a red left lung -and- a brown upper spine.  He carries on in sheer dwarven spite (and the three high stats helps.)

Skyrage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2007, 03:03:00 am »

Should also have an extremely tiny chance of actually healing a red injury (only some parts though - not eyes for instance), since some horrible wounds are known to almost fully/fully recover at very rare occasions. But as I said, the chance for this to happen should be minimal and perhaps have certain requirements before this can even happen (medical attention within a time frame right after the wound was attained, prolonged bedtime etc).

Anticheese

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2007, 04:18:00 am »

Well..Dwarfs (Dwarves?) do have the Health Care labour, perhaps at higher levels and with some raw materials such as cloth for bandages and the odd plant extract treating injuries would be easier?

Heck, what about an infirmary building?

Why not join us on IRC? irc.newnet.net #bay12games

Baro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2007, 01:16:00 pm »

I would LOVE some sort of hospital/medical building.  You'd maybe turn a bed into a sick-bay, and injured dwarves would go there and be attended over by a healthcare dwarf, and it would maybe double their healing rate, less angry thoughts, less of a chance that they spiral into a never ending cycle of anger and sadness.

Erasmus Darwin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2007, 01:23:00 pm »

What we need is a Dr. Frankendwarf noble who can heal one dwarf by using another for spare parts.  Depending on where the injuries are, he might be able to turn 5 injured dwarves into 4 healthy ones.

Xeirxes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2007, 04:19:00 pm »

I dunno, as soon as medicine gets better in this game, I feel like it might not be so interesting. I like seeing the drama that unfolds as the dwarves grow weary of laying in bed and maybe starve themselves to death, or (on the contrary) pull themselves together and heal up enough to go back and work.

BikingBear

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2007, 08:11:00 am »

quote:
What we need is a Dr. Frankendwarf noble who can heal one dwarf by using another for spare parts. Depending on where the injuries are, he might be able to turn 5 injured dwarves into 4 healthy ones.

I love this idea! How about combining it with golem/cyber technology so with the right materials, workshop and skills an injured dwarf can be fitted out with artificial limbs, lungs or even a whole body!
ear of death is the beginning of slavery - NON SERVIAM

Heliopios

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2007, 09:53:00 am »

How the hell would you go about making a metal lung?

melon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.kieranmillar.com
« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2007, 10:20:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Heliopios:
<STRONG>How the hell would you go about making a metal lung?</STRONG>

Maybe it would be better if you couldn't. I think you should only be able to construct replacement limbs. Any crafting skills that would involve intricate use of hands would permanently be reduced to the minimum, but other tasks like hauling and mining and wood cutting and fighting would be the same.

Of course, this does seem too advanced for the dwarves to make animatronic hands. Maybe they could just have wooden legs so they can walk again? Anything else damaged could not have a replacement.

I personally would love to see medical dwarves be able to help heal up certain body parts, or at least speed up the healing process.

Anticheese

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2007, 06:38:00 pm »

Prosthetics have been around for ages, while I don't think it would really work for mechanics to be able to create replacement limbs (A mechanism weighs about 250 units of weight), wooden or metal legs are not too much of a stretch of the imagination..

Another idea would be a military prosthetic - An attachment that turns those pesky bleeding stumps into axeholders.

The latter will probably not make it into the game.

Why not join us on IRC? irc.newnet.net #bay12games

Veroule

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2007, 09:19:00 pm »

There definitely needs to be at least amputation.  I have seen dwarves languish in bed and ultimately go insane from the pain of mangled limbs.  Perhaps part of the health care should be bringing alcohol for a pain killer so the dwarf can actually sleep.  There is nothing more irritating then watching a dwarf be unconcious, drowsy, and in pain all at the same time.

Adding amputation should have some logical work restrictions.  Maybe some sort of pensioning in the economy.  Replacement limbs might be something that could be done down the road, but some health facilities are a definite must.

"Please, spare us additional torture; and just euthanise yourselves."
Delivered by Tim Curry of Clue as a parody of the lead ass from American Idol in the show Psych.

herrbdog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2007, 09:42:00 pm »

A lil OT, as this refers to bedridden injured dwarfs, but before I forget:

If nothing else, I've always thought that mugs should work as buckets do, to bring 1 unit of alcohol to a sick patient. They can be suffering from pain, but be somewhat happy from being brought food and water. However, the no alcohol thing drives them nuts. So by having a dwarf bring them drinks, they could feel better and not get all pissy form the scarcity of alcohol. (even though I have 1500 units about 10 feet from one of my currently bedridden legendary engravers...)

Also, I just thought of this, but perhaps 'friends' on break could come visit their sick friends, thus giving them good thoughts from talking to a friend recently.

Sharpshot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 13, 2007, 10:45:00 pm »

quote:
Also, I just thought of this, but perhaps 'friends' on break could come visit their sick friends, thus giving them good thoughts from talking to a friend recently.  

That would add another layer to the already deep personality of the dwarfs, means it is a must add.
It will also keep my stupid on break dwarfs from wandering into that goblin siege...
again.

[ April 13, 2007: Message edited by: Sharpshot ]

Pages: [1] 2