Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: DF physics - A wizard did it.  (Read 6780 times)

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware the Moon Creatures.
    • View Profile
DF physics - A wizard did it.
« on: February 11, 2010, 03:41:04 am »

"Dwarves. They'd dig out a mountain, and if the stone wouldn't hold, they'd just slap a spell on it."

- Digger, on why magic and tunneling don't mix.

This resonated with me. She then goes on to complain that dwarven architecture is vast, improbable, and liable to come crashing down at any second. Immediately I thought "A HA! I'm onto someithing here" - I think this sounds like us, and our crazy physically impossible megaprojects. Handwavium at it's best. How can I support an entire mountain on one support linked to a lever? A wizard did it!
« Last Edit: February 12, 2010, 07:38:47 am by Flaede »
Toady typically doesn't do things by half measures.  As evidenced by turning "make hauling work better" into "implement mine carts with physics".
There are many issues with this statement.
[/quote]

eerr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: DF physics - A wizard did it.
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2010, 03:44:44 am »

Teach me this 'dwarf-wizard' magic.

I require arcitectural enhancement.

Baughn

• Noble Phantasm
  • The Haruhiist
  • Hiss
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2010, 06:50:27 am »

Oh my, that's a great comic. :D
C++ makes baby Cthulhu weep. Why settle for the lesser horror?

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2010, 08:34:20 am »

Oh my, that's a great comic. :D

It is. (having just read the archives over a couple o' days) And with consistent Geology humour/references as well.  Dwarves have yet to make an on-screen appearance, though they are off in the "1000 years ago" wings.
Toady typically doesn't do things by half measures.  As evidenced by turning "make hauling work better" into "implement mine carts with physics".
[/quote]

Grimlocke

• Bay Watcher
  • *kobold noises*
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2010, 12:00:30 pm »

Haha, so there they went as far as to literally say a wizard did it. I like how they pictured the dwarves ther actualy, it sounds a lot like a DF fortress (like one of mine at least). They just keep digging ever deeper and keep adding stuff to their fortress untill nobody knows whats what, and the dwarves will either have to leave or all die in it.

The wizard did it, and then he linked it to a lever... magic is Fun.
I make Grimlocke's History & Realism Mods. Its got poleaxes, sturdy joints and bloomeries. Now compatible with DF Revised!

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2010, 06:44:52 pm »

Yeah, that comic made me think of DF a lot. Especially the new underground. The main character complains about all the magic stuff you find underground, and how you can't dig for finding buried magic rings, magic swords, and old forgotten 'gods'.
[/quote]

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2010, 07:42:33 pm »

Awesome comic. But now I will have to read it. All of it. Kinda like how I read all 500 xkcd comics in 1 day.  :D

Oh, and page 144 of the comics sounds hilariously similar to the 2/9/10 dev update.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2010, 07:59:55 pm by alway »

azazel

• Bay Watcher
  • Department of Redundancy Department
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2010, 08:04:36 pm »

Oh hey, I know the artist! Didn't think I'd see a link to it here, of all places.
マグマキッド

Lumbajak

• Bay Watcher
  • They call me Jude
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2010, 08:27:33 pm »

Magic has absolutely nothing to do with this.

Dwarven Architecture is just that good.

Rilder

• Bay Watcher
  • Rye Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2010, 10:24:51 pm »

Teach me this 'dwarf-wizard' magic.

I require arcitectural enhancement.

No, eerr, you ARE the wizard!
Clearly ToadyOne is the Wizard.
Steam Profile
Youtube(Let's Plays), Occasional Streaming
It felt a bit like a movie in which two stoners try to steal a military helicopter

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2010, 10:32:12 pm »

Oh hey, I know the artist! Didn't think I'd see a link to it here, of all places.

! Wow. Well if it comes up, tell that artist they are doing awesome work. It can't be easy to make underground tunneling look decent in drawing form. Not to mention doing it in the context of a larger story.

And why wouldn't it come up here? I only knew half the "cultural references" of Digger because of DFs geology, and the descriptions she gives of tunnelling all sound like excerpts from Toady's Devlog.
[/quote]

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2010, 12:29:03 am »

Aw... after 6 hours it seems I have run out of episodes.  :'(

azazel

• Bay Watcher
  • Department of Redundancy Department
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2010, 06:08:13 am »

! Wow. Well if it comes up, tell that artist they are doing awesome work. It can't be easy to make underground tunneling look decent in drawing form. Not to mention doing it in the context of a larger story.

And why wouldn't it come up here? I only knew half the "cultural references" of Digger because of DFs geology, and the descriptions she gives of tunnelling all sound like excerpts from Toady's Devlog.
Well, it's hardly a well-known comic. I'll let her know next time we talk though (which, granted, isn't very often).
マグマキッド

MathijsBuster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2010, 06:19:38 am »

"Dwarves. They'd dig out a mountain, and if the spell wouldn't hold, they'd just slap a spell on it."

- Digger, on why magic and tunneling don't mix.

Ah, just as an aside; You misquoted 'stone' for 'spell'. It didn't make sense to me until I clicked the link and read the original quote.  :)

Hmm... And if only I wasn't so deadly afraid of animals with a [CAN_SPEAK] tag (read: anthropomorphics) I might consider reading the comic. As it is I have enough of a hard time with the likes of Donald Duck.  :P
Dwarves: Death from Below!

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2010, 07:43:55 am »

argh. thanks for letting me know 'bout the mistype.
And I do understand about the talking animal thing, I'm pretty skeptical of such comics myself. This one, though, the wombats are mostly like anti-kobolds, and the only other talking animals are the hyenas (which I admit are pretty wtf).
[/quote]
Pages: [1] 2 3