Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: DF physics - A wizard did it.  (Read 6765 times)

Baughn

• Noble Phantasm
  • The Haruhiist
  • Hiss
    • View Profile
Re: DF physics - A wizard did it.
« Reply #15 on: February 12, 2010, 09:15:13 am »

Also a talking elephant. Let's not forget the talking elephant.
C++ makes baby Cthulhu weep. Why settle for the lesser horror?

Mel_Vixen

• Bay Watcher
  • Hobby: accidently thread derailment
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 12, 2010, 09:50:08 am »

Dont forget The snail, surka,the hyenas and Herne. Oh and shadowchild she/it wasnt quite human. Anyway i hope DFs adventure mode will someday be like digger in one way or another. An i cant help but to think that toady has wombat-men among the 40 other new UG critters..
[sarcasm] You know what? I love grammar Nazis! They give me that warm and fuzzy feeling. I am so ashamed of my bad english and that my first language is German. [/sarcasm]

Proud to be a Furry.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #17 on: February 12, 2010, 09:52:09 am »

It's not a talking elephant.  It's a talking statue made in the image of an elephant-headed god.

There is a bizarre talking two-headed bandersnatch later on.  Also a talking shrew, and trolls who don't quite talk.  And of course the talking prophetic slugs.  And vampire squash.  Pretty weird comic all around, but awesome.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Eagleon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #18 on: February 12, 2010, 10:02:36 am »

Oh hey, I know the artist! Didn't think I'd see a link to it here, of all places.

! Wow. Well if it comes up, tell that artist they are doing awesome work. It can't be easy to make underground tunneling look decent in drawing form. Not to mention doing it in the context of a larger story.

And why wouldn't it come up here? I only knew half the "cultural references" of Digger because of DFs geology, and the descriptions she gives of tunnelling all sound like excerpts from Toady's Devlog.
Most people know Ursula Vernon from The Biting Pear of Salamanca (or 'Lol wut' pear). She is a credit to the family ;(
Agora: open-source, next-gen online discussions with formal outcomes!
Music, Ballpoint
Support 100% Emigration, Everyone Walking Around Confused Forever 2044

azazel

• Bay Watcher
  • Department of Redundancy Department
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 12, 2010, 10:06:04 am »

No, I mean I know her personally. Not "I know who this is!".
マグマキッド

Mel_Vixen

• Bay Watcher
  • Hobby: accidently thread derailment
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 12, 2010, 10:26:23 am »

Oh then tell her that i thank her for this wonderful comic.
[sarcasm] You know what? I love grammar Nazis! They give me that warm and fuzzy feeling. I am so ashamed of my bad english and that my first language is German. [/sarcasm]

Proud to be a Furry.

MathijsBuster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 12, 2010, 10:45:16 am »

It's not a talking elephant.  It's a talking statue made in the image of an elephant-headed god.

There is a bizarre talking two-headed bandersnatch later on.  Also a talking shrew, and trolls who don't quite talk.  And of course the talking prophetic slugs.  And vampire squash.  Pretty weird comic all around, but awesome.

A what and a WHAT?
Okay, screw it. I'm going to read it now.
Dwarves: Death from Below!

Kilo24

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 12, 2010, 11:21:39 am »

Oh hey, I know the artist! Didn't think I'd see a link to it here, of all places.

! Wow. Well if it comes up, tell that artist they are doing awesome work. It can't be easy to make underground tunneling look decent in drawing form. Not to mention doing it in the context of a larger story.

And why wouldn't it come up here? I only knew half the "cultural references" of Digger because of DFs geology, and the descriptions she gives of tunnelling all sound like excerpts from Toady's Devlog.
Most people know Ursula Vernon from The Biting Pear of Salamanca (or 'Lol wut' pear). She is a credit to the family ;(

I'm rather surprised to see her on here on DF, though I'm more familiar with her art than her webcomic.

I'm most partial to Balthazar Disdains the Lemon myself, though  those pictures of the orc grandmother or the walrus with the jellyfish hat earn a few points.  Her descriptions on her art are often amusing.

I do still need to read Digger some time.

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 12, 2010, 12:11:14 pm »

I personally liked the description of how the slugs became talking prophetic slugs.

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 12, 2010, 05:05:53 pm »

I tried reading digger once, but after reading a bit just by a clifhanger it prometed me to pay in order to read more, thus I ragequit. >:(

Is it still the case that you need to pay to read it?
So says Armok, God of blood.
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...

Luna

• Bay Watcher
  • [AMPHIBIOUS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 12, 2010, 05:27:54 pm »

She made the entire archive free to read a while back.
I got a few chapers in book form for christmas.
I like shadowchild.  :D And the skin lizards. I hope they make another appearance.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2010, 05:30:41 pm by Luna »

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware the Moon Creatures.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 12, 2010, 06:31:47 pm »

I do not think a statue of Ganesh falls under "talking animal".
And herne is... human. He just ran afoul of a "Stag" potion, that was mis-marketed.
I did, however, totally forget about the slug. How could I do that?  And there was that rodent that talked. Apparently there are a lot of talking beasties after all. Dang. Story's good, tho, if you can get past it.
I tried reading digger once, but after reading a bit just by a clifhanger it prometed me to pay in order to read more, thus I ragequit. >:(

Is it still the case that you need to pay to read it?
No. It's not behind a paywall. Nothing like that. I understand comix folk gotta make a living too, but I never liked the whole "teaser" concept myself.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2010, 06:35:55 pm by Flaede »
Toady typically doesn't do things by half measures.  As evidenced by turning "make hauling work better" into "implement mine carts with physics".
There are many issues with this statement.
[/quote]

Cavalcadeofcats

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 12, 2010, 08:21:06 pm »

Whoa, I haven't read this once since it did require a subscription! Years and years ago. Had no idea that it'd gone free in the meantime.

Time to get reacquainted!

Jay

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼Not Dead Yet☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 12, 2010, 09:11:42 pm »

I've had a couple avatars from Digger for several months now.
Mishimanriz: Histories of Pegasi and Dictionaries

Kilo24

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 12, 2010, 10:45:16 pm »

Heh.  Started and finished reading the archives, and it was worth the read.  It's definitely an interesting and unique setting with good characters.  And delightfully weird.
Pages: 1 [2] 3