Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Considering a mod which I probably won't do but want alternative weapon sources  (Read 1072 times)

eerr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I'm considering a mod for DF, with an inspiration I won't immediately reveal.
I need to know alternative ways to spawn weapons.

Can I spawn a weapon as a gem or ore?

Can I scatter ancient ruins around the world with crap(weapons) in them?

Can I spawn caravans with minor but consistent access to unique weaponry?

Other ways I know of:
Spawn on killing an enemy.
Create in a workshop, of course.
Occasionally trade with the caravan.

If I really wanted to make the mod, I would use a significant combination of these, to pair up with the new war-arc.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2010, 07:33:26 am by eerr »

sunshaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

You can make a new type of stone (CLUSTER_SMALL or CLUSTER_ONE) called something like RUIN or HORDE or ARCHEOLOGY_SITE something like that. You could then make a reaction to convert the stone into something, call it something like recovery, (warning the item produced will be Standard Quality so no super weapons). It might be an interesting flavor mod with different stones yielding different items (the HORDE could make precious metal jewelery and items, I'd be careful about it making coins though). Depending on the stone spawning rules it could be found throughout the map.

You probably can't have the caravans bring you unique weapons, but you might be able to get them to bring unique materials (the one I saw was very rare, very expensive gems which could be combined with steel to make superior metals, fire gem + steel = fire steel, high damage, regular protection, but as the metal was deep you never saw the NPC races with it).

Arrkhal

• Bay Watcher
  • Who modded in these flying killer attack babies???
    • View Profile

Might be able to get caravans to bring a particular weapon if that race's weapon selection is limited, and if they like you enough.  If that race is the only one with a given weapon, then them and strange moods will be the only way to get it.
In development: Arrkhal's Material and Weapon balance
Please test and let me know what still needs fixing.  And get these freakin' babies offa me!

Grimlocke

• Bay Watcher
  • *kobold noises*
    • View Profile

What you could do is:

- Make a race that lives in caves, make their starting number 2, give them no maxage and make their maximum site population 2.
- Mod in some powerfull armour and weapons for them.
- Give them the tag [HEATDAM_POINT:9500]
- Call them 'Box of Loot!' and give them a (masterful) chest as corpseitem.
- Adventure away!

This will give a rather silly message about a treasurebox dying in heat, the items wont actualy be in the box and will get all strewn around if you leave without grabbing them, but its the best workaround I can think of.

Giving them more limbs and heads makes them drop more armour. Im not sure if you could give them multiple torsos but you could try.

You could try to make them live in ruins too, but for them to move around the worldmap might need some more work.

Also: Goblins stealing treasureboxes makes kinda sense doesnt it? You should be able to find those boxes in gobbo towers, but regretably they will only drop gobbo stuff. The gobbos looted it and stacked rubbish in them, ofc ;D
I make Grimlocke's History & Realism Mods. Its got poleaxes, sturdy joints and bloomeries. Now compatible with DF Revised!

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile

Nice idea. Also, you can give them multiple UPPERBODY and LOWERBODY parts to have more armor and leg armor.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository