Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Encrusting  (Read 566 times)

TerminatorII

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:Adamantine Skeleton]
    • View Profile
Encrusting
« on: April 10, 2007, 11:12:00 am »

Okay I have a serious problem with encrusting. You can tell the dwarves to encrust "Funiture" or "Finished Goods" but not actual items. Which lead to my dwarves putting diamonds on a leather sack and then using it for seed!!!! GAHH!! waht if I just wat to put diamonds on my Master Work Steel Mace? There should be an encrust "Item" feature where you can select the item to be encrusted.
No, I think the cook would be in charge of sugar-coating the cows.

You are a lifesaver! Round and probably in tropical flavors.

Mylon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Encrusting
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2007, 12:08:00 pm »

Or, perhaps, allow us to encrust more classes of items like weapons, armor, ect.

yeahjim

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2007, 01:46:00 pm »

It occurs to me that it might be productive (insomuch as Toady really cares about the clamoring rabble, that is) to take a poll of sorts. Say if we compiled a list of the usual grievances such as rewalling, dwarves charging towards seigers in search of outside wood blocks, encrusting my slate mechanisms with emeralds, etc., and rated them in terms of our opinion of their urgency. This way we could perhaps have more than a semiconstant din of suggestions, maybe even a consensus.

Just an idea.

OverrideB1

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Coffee-Drinker
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2007, 01:55:00 pm »

To be honest, many of these sort of problems could be overcome by introducing screens similar to the stock-screen for both the work-manager and the trade-manager screens.

That way, you'd be able to create that red-spinal encrusted, gorilla-leather waterskin that your Manager is clammering for without the current shot-in-the-dark approach of making x-number of waterskins and crossing everything in the hope that your Craftsdwarf picks some gorilla-leather to make one of them.

Yeah, I know it's another layer of micro-management -- but micro-managing insane dwarves is what we're here for  :)

And no, this isn't a criticism of what Toady has done so far -- it's just a hope that (somewhere along the line) he finds time to make management-screens a little more like you're managing what the dwarves do instead of having very little control over what is actually made vis-a-vis crafts

By the Beards of my Ancestors: There are Elephants inside the fortress. Seems like a good time to lie down right in front of them and... go to sleep
---last words of Cog Ingishontak, legendary Craftsdwarf

prklts

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2007, 02:01:00 pm »

Yeah! Along those same lines, I wish there were a way to use the page up / page down feature when scrolling through the list of materials to use for a particular building. It takes me about a minute or so to scroll to my smooth white blocks -- and that's doing it the fastest way (going backwards, sifting through the tower cap log supply).

Terminator, that is an awesome idea. I think you should be in charge of it!   :)

Tim

Chariot

• Bay Watcher
  • Turtle Trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2007, 03:04:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by prklts:
<STRONG>Yeah! Along those same lines, I wish there were a way to use the page up / page down feature when scrolling through the list of materials to use for a particular building. It takes me about a minute or so to scroll to my smooth white blocks -- and that's doing it the fastest way (going backwards, sifting through the tower cap log supply).</STRONG>

* and / already do :P

TerminatorII

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:Adamantine Skeleton]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2007, 05:53:00 pm »

Something else that might be "EXTREMELY" useful, would be a list of item types and a number beside them signifying quantity rather than a list of every item in stock.

That way we would not have to page through all 500 Moon Stone rocks to get to the Basalt ones.  ;)

No, I think the cook would be in charge of sugar-coating the cows.

You are a lifesaver! Round and probably in tropical flavors.