Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Satyrs...  (Read 3208 times)

Gergination

• Bay Watcher
  • The world is on fire
    • View Profile
Re: Satyrs...
« Reply #15 on: February 10, 2010, 02:10:35 pm »

Dwarf fortress forums: where we round up kind, benign creatures and execute them.

This is also why I love this game.  Somebody has made an entire fortress built around the premise of unicorn genocide.  Said person soon discovers satyrs are preventing unicorns for spawning and since he can't order his troops to kill them he figures flooding the world to drown them is a good idea.  The discussion then turns to how best to execute these benign, semi intelligent goat men because they are wandering into the dwarves' traps.

This is the best community on the internet and it's not even a multiplayer game.
With [SLOW_LEARNER], dwarves probably don't sit around and talk anymore. They just stand in the same corner altogether, staring at each other, sticking their bearded lips out trying to make sounds. And giggling when someone actually says a whole word.

Jyppa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 10, 2010, 02:16:10 pm »

...but imagine if it were!

Gergination

• Bay Watcher
  • The world is on fire
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 10, 2010, 02:21:32 pm »

...but imagine if it were!

Boatmurdered, every fortress...

Armok save us
With [SLOW_LEARNER], dwarves probably don't sit around and talk anymore. They just stand in the same corner altogether, staring at each other, sticking their bearded lips out trying to make sounds. And giggling when someone actually says a whole word.

twwolfe

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes ponies for their cuteness
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 10, 2010, 02:41:17 pm »

strategy#1; pull lever, release magma.

Strategy #2; see strategy 1, add elephants

Strategy #3: see strategy 1, add captured skeletal carp
There are dwarves that are nothing but useless sacrifices - Miners are not one of them.

Lidhuin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 10, 2010, 02:57:46 pm »

Satyrs are strange, strange creatures.

My military ignores them, unless they stand on the same square. The two will then push each other away, the military will chase a bit, then return to their post, even if they were told to chase forever. Marksdwarves are nearly impossible to get out there, as they'll kill everything else first, wasting their bolts (raccoons, ambushing goblins, etc...) before they can get to the Satyr. It's hard enough with spears, but they'll at least leave a trail of slaughter and continue on their way.

Now, caged Satyrs do cause new Satyrs to spawn. Once you hit any number above 15 though, they stop spawning. I may have eradicated all local Unicorns, which would suck (and necessitate fort abandonment, as the purpose of the fort is Unicorn totems, Unicorn bolts and Unicorn leather backpacks for the mountainhome! Also leather armors), but I won't know until I've eradicated all local Satyrs, if that's at all possible. In any case, new Unicorn do not spawn either when I hit about 17 Satyrs.

I tried building an execution tower. The result was that as soon as they were let out of the cage, they'd punch the dwarf that let them out and try to flee. This *did* allow my military dwarves to fight them, the issue being that some of my craftsdwarves would get injured in the process (non-fatal usually, but it does slow down my fort).

I've got a drowning chamber, but that's for goblins. If I kill the Satyr, I want their bones and skulls! As last resort, however, I'll fill it up with Satyr cages and then drown the whole bunch.

I'm setting up an Arena where I will put my master hunter, open the grate (so no one can escape) and then unleash all the Satyrs. Hopefully, stuff will proceed to die, as the Satyrs are apparantly hostile once released from cages. This is very time consuming though, and with my fort growing larger, I may abandon it if I don't get new Unicorns soon.

Aspgren

• Bay Watcher
  • Every fortress needs a spike pit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 10, 2010, 03:03:45 pm »

Are you doing the executioning right? You need to put the cage at the edge and order them to dump the satyr into a pit DIRECTLY NEXT TO THE CAGE.. that way the satyrs won't have time to flee.

This is complicated when you have many satyr cages though. It's hard to know which is which.
The crossbow squad, 'The Bolts of Fleeing' wouldn't even show up.
I have an art blog now.

Lidhuin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 10, 2010, 03:05:05 pm »

I was doing it wrong then. Will try again.

darkrider2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 10, 2010, 03:09:18 pm »

Dwarf fortress forums: where we round up kind, benign creatures and execute them.

This is also why I love this game.  Somebody has made an entire fortress built around the premise of unicorn genocide.  Said person soon discovers satyrs are preventing unicorns for spawning and since he can't order his troops to kill them he figures flooding the world to drown them is a good idea.  The discussion then turns to how best to execute these benign, semi intelligent goat men because they are wandering into the dwarves' traps.

This is the best community on the internet and it's not even a multiplayer game.

This is possibly the only game I know where the purpose is to lose. (but lose in the funniest magma included way possible)

Akhier the Dragon hearted

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a Dragon, Roar
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #23 on: February 10, 2010, 03:16:00 pm »

Partly right but at the same time you are wrong darkrider2, yes the purpose is to lose in a magmarific way but that is only after you kill everything else of non-dwarven origin.
Join us. The crazy is at a perfect temperature today.
So it seems I accidentally put my canteen in my wheelbarrow and didn't notice... and then I got really thirsty... so right before going to sleep I go to take a swig from my canteen and... end up snorting a line of low-grade meth.

twwolfe

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes ponies for their cuteness
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 10, 2010, 05:39:22 pm »

Partly right but at the same time you are wrong darkrider2, yes the purpose is to lose in a magmarific way but that is only after you kill everything else of non-dwarven origin.

and many things of a dwarven origin as well.
There are dwarves that are nothing but useless sacrifices - Miners are not one of them.

Lidhuin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 10, 2010, 09:43:19 pm »

A Satyr was thrown down 7z levels. More z levels must be added. It is not considered hostile, as it has not attacked anyone, so my military dwarves refuse to fight it. Still working on the arena (FPS has gone down the drain unfortunately - my laptop can only run at 20-30fps with 50+ dwarves).

wagawaga

• Bay Watcher
  • He is utterly unaware of his own intentions.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 11, 2010, 11:58:51 am »

Meh, consider yourself lucky, I get 5 FPS with 60 dwarves.

Try pitting from 15 z-levels, right on your butcher's workshop.
This way you'll get tons of bonus fat, meat & bones, since severed parts produce some and the body without them still produces the full amount.

Or use spikes.
Or magma.

Or... I could go on for ages.

This is Dwarf Fortress. Possibilities are (almost) endless.

darkrider2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 11, 2010, 03:19:06 pm »

This is Dwarf Fortress. Possibilities are (almost) endless.

(almost) = (as long as it includes magma and genocide)
Pages: 1 [2]