Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: Your favorite rocks?  (Read 5026 times)

Acanthus117

• Bay Watcher
  • Angry Writer
    • View Profile
Your favorite rocks?
« on: February 12, 2010, 12:25:05 pm »

As the title says. I like having limestone or chalk, as well as granite. Iron and gold! or copper at the least. Most constructions I make use granite... just cause  :P
Is apparently a Lizardman. ಠ_ಠ
YOU DOUBLE PENIS
"The pessimist is either always right or pleasantly surprised; he cherishes that which is good because he knows it cannot last."

TKGP

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Your favorite rocks?
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2010, 12:29:39 pm »

At the risk of being brutally murdered by an angry mob of the forum populace, I rather like microcline and obsidian. The bright colors make me happy.
Quote from: tomio175
Quote from: Mrhappyface
Well if COD players all have ADHD, and Minecrafters autism, then what do DF players all have?
Cave adaption.

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2010, 12:33:53 pm »

I like how much obsidian is worth and that you can make swords as strong as steel with them.

Kate Wissen

• Bay Watcher
  • Proficient Engineer
    • View Profile
    • http://katewissen.blogspot.com/
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2010, 12:36:41 pm »

Personally I like the rare stones. Cobaltite is in the running, but I think my absolute favorite is realgar. When you can gather enough of these rare stones and used them to make a full mural on the floor of your fortress, you know your dwarves have earned their keep.

Don't worry TKGP, there is a time and place for microcline. And a stone that you can make a sword out of? Can you get more dwarvenly? Probably, but I'm on a roll.
Check out my current Community Fortress LostPages.

One day I hope to create the Monkey Torture Chamber of Doom!

Acanthus117

• Bay Watcher
  • Angry Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2010, 12:39:13 pm »

I'm quite glad I embarked where I was. the goblinite veins are going through the roof! Finally, something for all this limestone everywhere!
Is apparently a Lizardman. ಠ_ಠ
YOU DOUBLE PENIS
"The pessimist is either always right or pleasantly surprised; he cherishes that which is good because he knows it cannot last."

Aspgren

• Bay Watcher
  • Every fortress needs a spike pit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2010, 12:41:59 pm »

I like mica.

They fill the halls with songs and beauty.
The crossbow squad, 'The Bolts of Fleeing' wouldn't even show up.
I have an art blog now.

Demonic Spoon

• Bay Watcher
  • Peering from beyond the veil of reality
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2010, 12:42:29 pm »

Jet, brimstone, mudstone, bauxite, obsidian, olivine, cobaltite, pitchblende.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2010, 12:53:56 pm by Demonic Spoon »

Asmodeous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2010, 12:49:16 pm »

Pitchblende, Marble, Obsidian, and Kimberlite, in that order.

Pitchblende because I like the color and the mental image of a slew of radioactive dwarves in a Uranium fortress.

Marble because of the mental image of an entire fortress (and statues) made entirely of Marble.

Obsidian because obsidian is one of the coolest looking stones in the real world.

Kimberlite because it's a really nice color blue.
(There is a story behind this. . .)

This is an Alder Omelette. All craftsdwarfship is of highest quality. It is encircled with bands of cheese. It menaces with spikes of bacon, ham, and peppers. On the object is an image of dwarves in egg white. The dwarves are eating.

darthbob88

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2010, 02:23:09 pm »

Very favourite is obsidian, full stop. High Value + Sharp Blades + Indefinite quantity => FUCK YEAR. Following that, it's all situational; brightly colored and non-grey/white stones are useful for decoration and colour-coding, flux is useful for making high-value crafts and steel, and granite/gabbro are amazing for mining.

Asmodeous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2010, 03:24:31 pm »

FUCK YEAR

Fuck year never arrives soon enough. :(
(There is a story behind this. . .)

This is an Alder Omelette. All craftsdwarfship is of highest quality. It is encircled with bands of cheese. It menaces with spikes of bacon, ham, and peppers. On the object is an image of dwarves in egg white. The dwarves are eating.

kalida99

• Bay Watcher
  • ಠ_ರೃ
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2010, 03:41:00 pm »

Favorite stone? Don't have one, they're all to bland and alike, white, gray, black, etc. Metal is more interesting, Black Bronze being my favorite,followed by Steel and Iron. and gems thrown in when possible, Particularly green and red ones.
Let's see how those degenerate sophisticates handle a healthy dose of pure unreasoning violence.
— Commander Fleyitch

Rat Of Wisdom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2010, 05:08:31 pm »

Gabbro is growing on me, for the cool stuff you can get from it. As is dolomite. It's not so much the fact that I'm building a fort out of stone that's twice the value of regular stone, it's that it's bright friggin' white and so the vomit stands out nicely.

Never found pitchblende =( I want nukes, damn it all. I insist that my next fort contain a nuclear missile, or reactor, or both. There will be much referring to Wikipedia in the process.
Evidently, Dorf Philosopher Uristmedes only figured out the Uristmedes screw. And he ran around naked and covered in water, blood, and vomit all the time, so any discoveries made in his 4/7 bathtub went unnoticed by dorf science.

Luna

• Bay Watcher
  • [AMPHIBIOUS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2010, 05:35:30 pm »

I like gabbro and kimberlite. Gabbro has a nice name and nice neutral gray color and kimberlite is my favorite color.

Spong

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2010, 06:16:48 pm »

Obsidian, Granite, Olivine, Marble, Slate, Gabbro (for all the Olivine and other nice things it contains)

Beanchubbs

• Bay Watcher
  • Khorne Flakes: Crunchy & Delicious
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2010, 06:23:57 pm »

Kimberlite, Obsidian, Schist, and Microcline.

Kimberlite because it has a nice blue color that is soft on the eyes and slows down their deterioration while scanning through a fortress if you have walls built out of them
Obsidian because of all the reasons listed in above posts
Schist because it's brown color and the fact that the word looks like something else that is brown colored
Microcline because it makes the dull grey walls that I normally build more exciting by putting it in patches along the wall.
Yikes, the Orcs have a nasty language.  Traditional foreplay would be right out for them; how would they ever "say my name" for one another?  No wonder Ocrs are always so bloodthirsty and violent, they're getting sub-par action.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4