Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: Your favorite rocks?  (Read 5024 times)

Grendus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Your favorite rocks?
« Reply #30 on: February 16, 2010, 12:33:15 pm »

Limestone. Limestone RULES! 15 magnetite clusters, with native platinum veins, and bituminous coal? Put it with sand, in a forest, with a brook, and a single mountain tile with HFS? In Dig Deeper? Spontaneous dwarfgasm.
A quick guide to surviving your first few days in CataclysmDDA:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=121194.msg4796325;topicseen#msg4796325

Pyrophoricity

• Bay Watcher
  • [TEA_OR_COFFEE: TEA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 16, 2010, 12:58:39 pm »

Granite and Siltstone are firm favourites, maybe with a cheeky bit of Pitchblende for that classy purple entrance I invariably end up building.
wooden maces (omg, it's a heavy stick!)
Why not read DaggerStatic: A community fort? http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=39205.0

Shinziril

• Bay Watcher
  • !!SCIENCE!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 16, 2010, 06:03:53 pm »

Limestone, granite, marble, and obsidian for their value and the ores they contain.  Granite in particular makes nicely colored, sturdy block walls (which makes up for its lack of a greater-than-normal value modifier). 
Quote from: lolghurt
Quote from: Urist McTaverish
why is Dwarven science always on fire?
Because normal science is boring

HatfieldCW

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 16, 2010, 06:51:39 pm »

Rutile for the king!  Any furniture in his apartment that's neither an artifact nor his favorite material will be a regal purple.
I brake for stumble bumblings

Banana

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 17, 2010, 03:48:59 am »

« Last Edit: July 17, 2022, 08:46:38 am by Banana »

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 17, 2010, 03:51:10 am »

I agree with what most of these people have said - colored stones are generally what I prefer. 

I also have a fondness for building with granite, however.  I just think granite is a wonderfully "dwarvenly" stone, and I build much of my legendary dwarves' stuff with it (since they don't care about the low value).  A granite throne and desk for my mayor with granite statues for decoration should tell visiting human merchant liasons exactly what we dwarves are about.

I'm also fond of marble, though, just for the idea of building an entire fort inside of marble (and chalk).  I'm also going to dig out some of the marble in my current fortress to make a lovely giant marble tower.  I'm debating whether or not to make it a giant, gold-plated fist flipping off the world, and making my queen live inside the middle finger.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 20, 2010, 10:10:15 pm »

I've recently fallen for kimberlite. The blue color is perfect for what I'm using it for: a water-storage tower that's part of an aqueduct system that'll serve to fill my moat. Olivine is pretty, too, and you find platinum in them occasionally(gotta decorate the king's room with something)!

On the other hand, I detest Talc and Mica. When I'm looking for other things, I tend to run into huge clusters of them, and I'm sick of it pausing to tell me I struck a perfectly useless stone.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 20, 2010, 11:17:55 pm »

Rutile for the king!  Any furniture in his apartment that's neither an artifact nor his favorite material will be a regal purple.
I was hoping someone would mention the only other dark purple stone in the game. Purple looks wonderful in DF.

Other than that, garnierite, anything bright red, and cobaltite. Visually, I prefer non-white layer stones. The tileset I use has relatively little black on the floor tiles, and everything looks little and lost if the floor's too light.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Deimos56

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: unicorpion]
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 21, 2010, 01:06:33 am »

I have a strong affinity towards Olivine, Obsidian, and Cinnabar.
I distinctly HATE Microcline and Alunite because they always show up where I need them not to.

That said, whenever I get enough stone of assorted colors together and I'm doing above ground building, ([EXPLETIVE REDACTED] channels won't stop draining the magma into the main fort oh Armok why?!) I try to give the dwarves rooms that match their profession... Except the farmers.
I'm curious what the barely conscious ai wrote about.
Well that went better than expected.  He went nuts and punched a rabbit to death, then the dogs and the whole dining hall ripped him to shreds.

Diablous

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:avatar's cuteness]
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 21, 2010, 12:43:00 pm »

Obsidian and marble, for stated reasons.
Quote from: Solifuge
A catgirl, whom oft it would please
To dine on a pizza, with cheese,
Thought it was quite fine
To be partly feline,
Excepting the hairballs and fleas.

The Dog Delusion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 21, 2010, 04:31:32 pm »

I like Serpentine, because whenever my miners strike it, I have this mental image of them prying one last rock off the wall and suddenly breeching a cavern full of snakes, Indiana Jones style.

"Serpentine! Why did it have to be serpentine?"
Keep in mind that the dwarves are essentially alcoholic toddlers, and act accordingly.

Acanthus117

• Bay Watcher
  • Angry Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 21, 2010, 10:45:38 pm »

I like Serpentine, because whenever my miners strike it, I have this mental image of them prying one last rock off the wall and suddenly breeching a cavern full of snakes, Indiana Jones style.

"Serpentine! Why did it have to be serpentine?"
Urist McJones has been unhappy recently. He had been accosted by terrible vermin. He has been stolen from recently.
Is apparently a Lizardman. ಠ_ಠ
YOU DOUBLE PENIS
"The pessimist is either always right or pleasantly surprised; he cherishes that which is good because he knows it cannot last."

Sysice

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware!
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 22, 2010, 12:49:19 am »

Obsidian, microcline (I loooove microcline), orthoclase, olivine, cinnabar, rutile, bauxite. Pretty much any rock that people say burn their eyes.  :P
I managed to make a dog that bled bees.
Quote from: Threetoe
Imagine evil grass that looks like a mass of wriggling worms. Happy holidays!

Grendus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 22, 2010, 09:09:50 am »

In my current fort, I must say I'm fond of granite now. Not as profitable as sedimentary fluxes or obsidian, but good mineral variety. Gabbro is nice too, lots of gems and gold veins. The downside is bronze isn't all that great, though Dig Deeper fixes this by making it stronger than iron but weaker than steel (more realistic, they only stopped using bronze because iron is way more common). My current fort is heavy with cassiterite, galena, silver, copper, and iron ores. Not bad.
A quick guide to surviving your first few days in CataclysmDDA:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=121194.msg4796325;topicseen#msg4796325

Chaoseed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Chaoseed Software
« Reply #44 on: February 22, 2010, 10:08:21 am »

Malachite!  Green is my favorite color...and if you really have to, you can smelt it.  If your map has malachite, you probably have a lot of it.  In real life, malachite is startlingly pretty.

I get the feeling that microcline always inspires intense feelings...you either love it or hate it.  Me, I love it. :D
Surprisepalace! Overseers wanted!
But they never would have given up either. And compared to sitting around in this prison for the rest of my life? Losing is fun.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4