Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Increasing the number of tiles  (Read 584 times)

Jimlad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Increasing the number of tiles
« on: April 11, 2007, 10:42:00 pm »

First off, congrats on making such great progress with the game - I've been watching the developments page closely, and things are looking amazing!

What I'd like to suggest is finding a way to increase the number of tiles in the game window. Currently, when I play in full-screen mode, the tiles are stretched vertically. By changing the resolution in windowed mode, it's possible to get the tiles square, which looks great but means that you have a window that's very wide and short.

When playing the game, I keep getting this nagging feeling that there just isn't enough being displayed on the screen at once - I find I have to scroll around an awful lot to see what's going on. What I'd like to ask is, how difficult would it be to increase the number of tiles that are displayed at once, particularly horizontal rows? Would it require a huge re-write, or is it a fairly simple process?

One thing I'm slightly concerned about is that if it's really integral, and affects a lot of the code, then it'll be really difficult to implement later on.

This may well have been suggested many times before, but I did a quick search and couldn't find anything. Please link me if I'm wrong!

Core Xii

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Increasing the number of tiles
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2007, 08:13:00 am »

You can see more if you hide the menu, in case you hadn't done that yet. (hit tab a few times)

Also, you can scroll around faster by holding down shift while you scroll.

[ April 12, 2007: Message edited by: Core Xii ]

Reality is for people who lack imagination

ReWolf31

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2007, 08:51:00 am »

and also, from a few things i've gleaned, actually showing more tiles would more-or-less require some sort of massive rewrite, yeah  :confused:
B@.~~~

And so Alor, a wrestler of renown, found himself between a great boar and the wide river.  For six days they struggled, and as the sun descended behind the hills on the evening of the seventh day, Alor finally collapsed in exhaustion.  The boar s

Jaqie Fox

• Bay Watcher
  • Genuine Girl Techie!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2007, 10:23:00 am »

It could require a massive rewrite or it could require a bit of adaptive code. From what I've seen, the standard VGA modes of 80x25, 80x43, and 80x50 wouldn't be difficult to code in.

then again I've never had the opportunity to look at the code directly...

Fieari

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2007, 02:12:00 pm »

Check out the Kobold Quest source code here: http://www.bay12games.com/games/

Apparently, it's the same display engine that DF uses.  If you can convert that engine and post the code, perhaps Toady could take it and plop it into DF.

I don't have the time personally, as finals are coming up.  Haven't even really looked at the code.  I have no idea how complicated it'd be.

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2007, 02:17:00 pm »

Before anyone rushes out to do this, it won't help this time.  KQ is for ports, and using it for ports would work (there was some effort on this, but I don't know how much of the code was taken from Wine, so I can't use it).  The graphics problem really boils down to rewriting all of the DF interfaces, since they are stuck in 80x25 Curses land, like the itself game was for a while.  I'll just have to do that myself at some point.
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

Fieari

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2007, 02:23:00 pm »

Ah, gotcha.  It's interface, not display, that needs the work here.

Core Xii

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2007, 05:51:00 pm »

In other words, you hard-coded all the interface coordinates? Tsk tsk. =P
Reality is for people who lack imagination

Xeirxes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2007, 11:43:00 pm »

The man you tsk is my favorite game developer right now.

So SHUSH.