Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: New to RAW hacking: Increasing Iron?  (Read 3629 times)

Nameless Archon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
New to RAW hacking: Increasing Iron?
« on: March 29, 2011, 04:04:17 pm »

Bronze is passable, but Dwarves without iron in the embark just aren't something I'm looking to tinker with at the moment. I want Dwarves, with steel and sweat, baby! Bronze is for humans! So, tired of seeing Cobaltite everywhere in my new 31.25 world, I took the opportunity to purge it from my RAWs. Then I followed up by trying to find other 'useless' ores (and squashed cinnabar).

Here are my questions, while worldgen is running:
1. Does removing these actually increase the likelihood that iron veins (limonite, etc) are generated by the world, or will I see more gold/silver instead, as these were already showing up in those maps?

2. Is there another way to increase the probability of iron appearing outside the RAWs? I've already set the Mineral Scarcity to 100, so when I say I'm looking for a fair bit of metal, I mean exactly that. At the same time, I don't want /only/ iron.

3. Are there any other steps I should take in the RAWs to get the desired result of increasing iron's probability of appearance and removing "useless" ores?

SocietalEclipse

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: New to RAW hacking: Increasing Iron?
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2011, 07:52:22 pm »

Edit the [ENVIRONMENT:xxxxx] for the iron ores so that they appear in all layer types.

Khift

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2011, 07:57:52 pm »

Edit the [ENVIRONMENT:xxxxx] for the iron ores so that they appear in all layer types.
This, and also adding the ability for iron ores to appear in large clusters will also significantly increase the amount of iron you find. It will, mind you, absolutely swamp you with iron when you find large clusters. Also while you're at it you can add veins to magnetite.

jocan2003

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2011, 08:26:25 pm »

Or... make a custom reaction that will turn any worsthless stone into iron.!
Quote from: LoSboccacc
that was a luky dwarf. I had one dabbling surgeon fail so spectacularly that the patient skull flew a tile away from the table.
Quote from: NW_Kohaku
DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF.
Quote from: Girlinhat
Minecraft UI is very simple. There's only so many ways you can implement "simple" without copying something. We also gonna complain that it uses WASD?

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2011, 08:33:56 pm »

It would be simpler (despite probably requiring slightly more total text) to add the line "[METAL_ORE:IRON:100]" to many or all of the worthless stones.

(This would allow the modified stones to be smelted into iron (BTW, if you reduce the number at the end of the line that I said to add, you can make the reaction have a chance of failure, if you think giving worthless stones the ability to yield iron would make it too easy) )

Oh, and see also http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/DF2010:Inorganic_material_definition_token
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

Lysabild

• Bay Watcher
  • Eidora Terminus Imperii Romani
    • View Profile
    • My Steam!
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2011, 09:04:31 pm »

It would be simpler (despite probably requiring slightly more total text) to add the line "[METAL_ORE:IRON:100]" to many or all of the worthless stones.

(This would allow the modified stones to be smelted into iron (BTW, if you reduce the number at the end of the line that I said to add, you can make the reaction have a chance of failure, if you think giving worthless stones the ability to yield iron would make it too easy) )

Oh, and see also http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/DF2010:Inorganic_material_definition_token

So I get to get rid of it while at the same time I get a chance to get iron if I put it to something like 25?

Kipi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2011, 02:33:34 am »

Yep. That tag will allow the smelters to pick up the stone, bring it to smelter and make it disappear, while giving you a 25% chance of getting iron.
Room Values - !!SCIENCE!!

Quote from: zanchito
You know, they could teach maths like this at school. "There are 105 dwarves in a settlement. A goblin invasion appears and 67 die. Then a migrant wave..."

EmperorJon

• Bay Watcher
  • Still waiting...
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2011, 09:43:36 am »

If I set mineral availability higher I always get iron. Did you try that? XD
I think it's the way towns develop now. In the beginning, people move into a town. Then they start producing tables, which results in more and more tables. Soon tables represent a significant portion of the population, they start lobbying for new laws and regulations, putting people to greater and greater disadvantage...
Link for full quote. 'tis mighty funny.

Nameless Archon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2011, 10:24:22 am »

If I set mineral availability higher I always get iron. Did you try that? XD
Yeah, thanks for reading thoroughly.
I've already set the Mineral Scarcity to 100

Thanks for the suggestions, guys. I think a better solution for next time (instead of just deleting the ores that don't have a smelting reaction) might be to add iron smelting [METAL_ORE:IRON:100]) to the 'useless ores' of Cobaltite and Cinnabar, and possibly to create a very low chance of smelting the iron in cluster/vein stones that currently don't have this (~10 or so) so that there's always SOME iron around.

Is a change to the RAWs like this taken into consideration for worldgen at all, with respect to having access to iron for a civilization (embarking with iron tools, etc)?

EmperorJon

• Bay Watcher
  • Still waiting...
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2011, 10:26:42 am »

Hey, no need to be like that.
Most maps I gen with it set to 100 have 20000+ iron, when you combine Hematite, Magnetite and Limonite.
I think it's the way towns develop now. In the beginning, people move into a town. Then they start producing tables, which results in more and more tables. Soon tables represent a significant portion of the population, they start lobbying for new laws and regulations, putting people to greater and greater disadvantage...
Link for full quote. 'tis mighty funny.

Nameless Archon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2011, 02:41:30 pm »

Hey, no need to be like that.
I get snarky easily. I blame it on infiltrating human society a thousand years ago and convincing them that I was a god whose only sphere was that of vitriol. Now it's just kind of a habit, and people often get quests from village leaders to come and annoy me with sharp implements. ;D

Sorry - it was a bit harsh.

Most maps I gen with it set to 100 have 20000+ iron, when you combine Hematite, Magnetite and Limonite.
See, that's what I was expecting, but the problem is that you're not guaranteed to get iron. I had ~60000+ Cobaltite, and 0 (zero) Limonite/hematite/magnetite. Lots of gold, silver and tetra, though, so if I wanted a copper military, I'd have been golden (and silver)! (No cassiterite, though, so no tin, and no bronze.) This was sorely disappointing, and if I wasn't in the habit of busting out DFreveal at embark to plan a central staircase, I wouldn't have even known about it until later. I'm not planning to run this fort as a Goblinite Farm (and I'm not sure I have the patience for that) so I wanted some iron. Two more worldgens (and half-a-dozen embarks later) I started hacking RAWs instead.

Even with my changes (deleting cobaltite/cinnabar, which worked.. sorta) you're still not 100% guaranteed to get iron, because gold and silver and tetrahedrite are all metals (plural) that can be found both shallow and deep! The solution is definitely to add a chance of smelting iron from burning up cluster/vein stone that isn't normally an iron product, and then you're guaranteed to have SOME iron, even if it means you work a lot harder for it than just mining it out one bar per tile. (I'll probably put the "useless ores" to 100 percent so they function like iron ores, and then put other cluster stones to ~25% or so so they provide some useful product beyond colored stone.)

Now, that raises another question: Is it possible to control the effects of the smelting process in the RAWs so that on failure it returns the original rock (Yes, I know that's not how real smelting works), and on success it returns the iron? I don't immediately see anything in the token list that offers this as a possibility. I'm guessing that's the province of custom reactions?