Dwarf Fortress > DF Suggestions

Channels "flush" items

(1/1)

dav:
Water pressure is a powerful thing, baby.  If you go wandering around during a flood, you don't just stay where you are - you're swept along until you hit something - a wall, a support, a chasm.I think especially opening a floodgate should flush items stuck in channels downstream.  Obviously, some items are too heavy for this nonsense - pickaxes and gold statues are on the bottom of the channel forever.  But bloated corpses, leather belts, even rocks (moving more slowly) can be moved along by water.This would serve a couple purposes - I can retreive the clutter from unfortunates who drown themselves building my farming system, and clear blocked floodgates/doors/etc, possibly rescuing the permaflooded rooms of yore.  Also, water increases decay/wear and tear, so those things might disappear after a few years in water.

AlStar:
Actually, when the cave river floods, it will push rocks and stuff around, so (I agree with you) it's odd that channels and floodgate floods don't do the same thing.

Kjoery:
It's becauwse channels and floodgates arn't rivers, they're liquids, and I think it owuld mess up alot of gameplay if all liquids did that, but mabe not.[ August 28, 2006: Message edited by: Kjoery ]

RPB:
Yeah, I really wish this happened, too. Two words: sewage system.

Mechanoid:
quote:Originally posted by RPB:
<STRONG>Yeah, I really wish this happened, too. Two words: sewage system.</STRONG>If only vomit would behave like blood when it hit the river, but far shorter of a lifespan...In fact, river polution and water flow could be a critical gameplay challenge. If the river becomes too polluted, your wells may become toxic; anyone that drinks from the river downstream of a "refuse" channel would definitely become sick, and unhappy that they had to drink from such waters.OMFG that gives be an idea... All the river water flows down into what appears to be a chasm (the waterfall) so what if you could dump refuse items like bones and skulls into a channel, and then the river carries the waste to the abyss? Early game waste removal without the need to dig to the chasm to dump items into.  ;)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version